Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 08:40 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
As others have said, it doesn't matter what the guy looks like. There are a million other ways a guy can compensate and get any number of hot girls.

For a girl, looks are much, much more important, so being plain looking is a bigger disadvantage.

edit: to the guy asking the question, what is your deal? are you a joe schmoe or something? why are you so worked up about all this? you are pretty far off base in most of the things I've read. anyways.
if you are just a boring guy it really doesn't matter if you aren't attractive, just get rich and you can have all the women you want.
my dude, were you talking to me? If so I'm not worked up. Just posting like many others. Its ok though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 08:54 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,283,835 times
In the dating world it would be hard for both, but harder for Joe Schmoe. Reason being HE IS JOE SCHMOE and Joe Schmoes don't just go to the gym, take up new hobbies, try to expand their career horizons, dress better and groom well. If he had the drive or want to do that, he would not be called an average Joe. Many guys would be lucky to have the average Jane - a decently looking, cute girl with a good job and a few hobbies.

In life, Joe definitely gets the short-end of the stick. Joe Schmoe is the exact guy who gets pushed around in the office, overlooked for promotions and has no real drive to work his way up the career ladder. He is simply content with being average.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:57 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,020 times
ok then.

edit: no i was talking about the Yankee guy who started the thread, he's full of nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
In the dating world it would be hard for both, but harder for Joe Schmoe. Reason being HE IS JOE SCHMOE and Joe Schmoes don't just go to the gym, take up new hobbies, try to expand their career horizons, dress better and groom well. If he had the drive or want to do that, he would not be called an average Joe. Many guys would be lucky to have the average Jane - a decently looking, cute girl with a good job and a few hobbies.

In life, Joe definitely gets the short-end of the stick. Joe Schmoe is the exact guy who gets pushed around in the office, overlooked for promotions and has no real drive to work his way up the career ladder. He is simply content with being average.
That changes things, then, yeah. If he simply gives up then he's got no chance in the dating world, whereas even a girl who gives up can probably get SOME sort of dude. however if he works hard and succeeds then the sky is the limit. I didn't realize being Joe Schmoe meant necessarily being a loser, I thought it just meant your average dude. Being Plain Jane doesn't necessarily make you a loser, does it?

Old 09-01-2011, 09:20 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,509 times
Quote:
ok then.

edit: no i was talking about the Yankee guy who started the thread, he's full of nonsense.
I know. He's so full of himself because he doesn't like when other posters, who are women disagrees with him, that he's actually just full of it.

Plus, (just to find out how he will react) he thinks he's the Joe Schmo because of him being Asian, since he didn't answer my previous question.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
ok then.

That changes things, then, yeah. If he simply gives up then he's got no chance in the dating world, whereas even a girl who gives up can probably get SOME sort of dude. however if he works hard and succeeds then the sky is the limit. I didn't realize being Joe Schmoe meant necessarily being a loser, I thought it just meant your average dude. Being Plain Jane doesn't necessarily make you a loser, does it?
The key words are works hard and succeeds.

If a man possesses those qualities then he is no longer the average Joe. The average guy is one who works an ok job, has no drive to do better and is content with his physical appearance, his job, his friends and his life. Below-average looks, average salary, average life.

On the flip side, the plain Jane works her normal job, is content with her friends, physical appearance, and life. The average Jane is a decent looking girl. She will still have that - her decent looks. Doesn't matter that she is not striving for her master's degree or trying to earn that promotion - guy's don't look for that in a girl.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:41 AM

339 posts, read 837,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Who has it tougher in the dating world?

Plain Jane has a crush on the star of the football team. She knows there are far prettier girls than her competing for his affections, but she's absolutely enamored with him. So she approaches him after football practice one day and says, "Hey, my parents are out of town. I have a hard time studying when they're out of town. Wanna come over?" They proceed to her house where they have mind-blowing sex that she will cherish for the rest of her life.

Joe Schmoe has a crush on the head cheerleader who's the prettiest girl in the school. He knows that there are taller, more popular and better-looking guys competing for her affections, but he's absolutely enamored with her. So he approaches her after cheerleading practice and says, "Hey, I know a good ice cream place. Wanna go?" She replies, "No, but thanks for the offer." Then Joe says, "That new Star Wars movie is coming out on Saturday. Wanna go?" To which she replies, "Sorry, I'll be washing my hair on Saturday." Joe, desperate to get any quality time with his goddess, finally says, "Hey, my parents are out of town. Wanna come over?" She pulls out a rape whistle, blows it, and then Joe Schmoe sustains major internal injuries after being stomped out by members of the football team.

You'd have to say that Plain Jane comes out ahead on this one, no?
You're coming at this from a male perspective. Let me explain:

When it comes to SEX...Women have it better in the dating world. Women are the gate keepers when it comes to sex.

But Men are the gate keepers when it comes to COMMITMENT. Women have much lower sex drives then men plus even the fugliest of women have easy access to it.

This is why having SEX with jocks, one night stands etc isn't really a big accomplishment for them. While for the average joe..a one night stand with a hot cheerleader is a HUGE accomplishment.

Now...as easy as it is for women to sleep with high status guys(you used jocks for example)....It's hard for them to get them to settle down. This is why you'll keeping hearing women say they can't find a "decent" guy.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:40 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh8 View Post
You're coming at this from a male perspective.

This is why you'll keeping hearing women say they can't find a "decent" guy.
A "decent" guy can vary from woman to woman. Most women end up lowering their requirements so that they can find a "decent" guy. Its not hard to find a decent guy, but when you're looking for 10s across the board instead of a mix of 9s, 8s, & 10s, the pool of men that fit that requirement is so small, hence the lamenting of enough "decent" men.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:12 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
But Men are the gate keepers when it comes to COMMITMENT.
A qualification is in order.

A few men are the gatekeepers when it comes to commitment. Women do not want the sex or commitment of the vast majority of men.

However, men do want sex from the vast majority of women. This puts the average woman ("Plain Jane") in a better position than the average man ("Joe Schmoe"). The average woman offers something that the average man wants (always sex, sometimes commitment) whereas the average man offers nothing the average woman wants. She could do without his sex or commitment, and in the case of the former, she is going to seek out Mr. Varsity 10 out of 10 times.

Quote:
Now...as easy as it is for women to sleep with high status guys(you used jocks for example)....It's hard for them to get them to settle down. This is why you'll keeping hearing women say they can't find a "decent" guy.
You're missing the point that it's hard for the average guy to sleep with or be in a relationship with any girl. Both the Hot Betty and the average girl are trying to win the commitment of the high status guy, and in all likelihood, they're both boning him.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:00 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post

Another one of the 1000s of posts on this site where it is all (and always) the man's fault! It's a good thing we men have broad shoulders.

If a guy reversed your post, it would have dozens of the "regulars" running for the moderator!

Let's just say that my experience differes considerably from your's. When men realize that they are going nowhere with women, they normally find other interests. They've generally done what they can with the other attributes but it is pointless to knock one's head against the wall, trying to be something that you aren't.

Joe Schmoe is not good looking, slick or shallow and never will be. Women should get over this, stop blaming him and go after men who are.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
Another one of the 1000s of posts on this site where it is all (and always) the man's fault! It's a good thing we men have broad shoulders.

If a guy reversed your post, it would have dozens of the "regulars" running for the moderator!

Let's just say that my experience differes considerably from your's. When men realize that they are going nowhere with women, they normally find other interests. They've generally done what they can with the other attributes but it is pointless to knock one's head against the wall, trying to be something that you aren't.

Joe Schmoe is not good looking, slick or shallow and never will be. Women should get over this, stop blaming him and go after men who are.
There's not one point in my post that degrades women, or even negatively speaks of them. The main focus point of it was to talk about the Joe Schmoe - I have nothing against plain Jane.

I'm actually someone who sticks up for women on these forums, so before you point the stick at me, please do your research. Thanks.

And to be honest, I'm not sure how your response to my post is relevant to any part of my post. If you'd like to respond in a more coherent and sensible way, I'd be happy to respond to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships