Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 10:46 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,628,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Then the next question would be, what all would I do with a Linux machine?
The same things you do with a Win machine, with the benefits that your programs will run faster and crash / freeze up far less often. You also get all the updates for FREE. You also don't have to spend time eliminating bloatware. You also don't get pop-ups every 2 minutes for security updates.

And of course the greatest benefit - geek bragging rights.

To me, it's like changing from Internet Explorer to Firefox - a whole new, exciting world without all the problems of the old one.

Quote:
I remember my first laptop and desktop both having widnows 95. Then 98... . XP was the least offensive of the windows platforms. Then again I remember the DOS days.
Yeah, BASIC, DOS, FORTRAN, COBOL ... punch cards and tape drives ... those were the days!

Old 09-25-2011, 10:51 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
The same things you do with a Win machine, with the benefits that your programs will run faster and crash / freeze up far less often. You also get all the updates for FREE. You also don't have to spend time eliminating bloatware. You also don't get pop-ups every 2 minutes for security updates.

And of course the greatest benefit - geek bragging rights.

To me, it's like changing from Internet Explorer to Firefox - a whole new, exciting world without all the problems of the old one.

Yeah, BASIC, DOS, FORTRAN, COBOL ... punch cards and tape drives ... those were the days!
Excellent way to look at it. I have a machine I am not using that make it a dedicated machine if I do that.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:01 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,013,276 times
Quote:
Then the next question would be, what all would I do with a Linux machine?

I remember my first laptop and desktop both having widnows 95. Then 98... . XP was the least offensive of the windows platforms. Then again I remember the DOS days.
First few days of high school, I'm walking by a classroom on the way to the student smoking area and look in the window and its all girls. Every last desk a girl. A quick inquiry revealed that the class was typing 1. I immediately dropped another class and signed up for that one. Turned out I wasn't the first guy to do that and the teacher knew exactly which keys I was wanting to press. She was constantly after me (she would hit me on the knuckles with a yard stick) and I ended the quarter being able to type 70 words a minute. A long way to get to the beginning which is I would find out it was a semester class and the second quarter was computer basics. We had to code a crude program and make the punch cards to run it. That was my first experience in the world of computing.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:04 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
First few days of high school, I'm walking by a classroom on the way to the student smoking area and look in the window and its all girls. Every last desk a girl. A quick inquiry revealed that the class was typing 1. I immediately dropped another class and signed up for that one. Turned out I wasn't the first guy to do that and the teacher knew exactly which keys I was wanting to press. She was constantly after me (she would hit me on the knuckles with a yard stick) and I ended the quarter being able to type 70 words a minute. A long way to get to the beginning which is I would find out it was a semester class and the second quarter was computer basics. We had to code a crude program and make the punch cards to run it. That was my first experience in the world of computing.
Those were the days. I took a semister of typing. I passed at 40 WPM. I was always admonished for looking at my hands when I was typing. That was many years ago. I have vastly improved. Well from 15 years ago.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:14 PM

My thanks to all who participated in the Adult Forum thread in the Admin area today / last night - nice to know I wasn't alone there.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
First few days of high school, I'm walking by a classroom on the way to the student smoking area and look in the window and its all girls. Every last desk a girl. A quick inquiry revealed that the class was typing 1. I immediately dropped another class and signed up for that one. Turned out I wasn't the first guy to do that and the teacher knew exactly which keys I was wanting to press ...
LMAO!

I never took a typing class per se (it wasn't offered in our school) but through self-practice I was able to achieve 80 WPM for -

"Donna Salerno ... Donna Salerno ... Donna Salerno ... The quick Donna Salerno jumped on the lazy Phil's back ..."

Old 09-25-2011, 11:18 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,560,011 times
Quote:
Those were the days. I took a semister of typing. I passed at 40 WPM. I was always admonished for looking at my hands when I was typing. That was many years ago. I have vastly improved. Well from 15 years ago.
Oh! Typing class stories! My instructor used to sit in the back of the room and fall asleep. When he was actually awake and instructing us, it was a monotone "A,S,D,F SPACE! J, K, L, semi, SPACE!" Those were the days. LOL

Old 09-25-2011, 11:24 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,560,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
My thanks to all who participated in the Adult Forum thread in the Admin area today / last night - nice to know I wasn't alone there.
I'm with ya.

It boggles my mind that some people can't just ignore what they don't like, but such is life I guess. And to think the strict moderation is what makes CD a good forum? Egads!

Old 09-25-2011, 11:26 PM

The thing is also, I cut my eye-teeth on an Underwood typewriter (no lie). I progressed to a Royal, thence to an IBM Selectric, thence to an IBM PC, Commodores, Apples, a few suitcase "portables", and the last few years Dells and HPs.

I was just getting the hang of 30+ years of full-sized keyboards, then I go and buy this damned laptop!

I think I've lost 20WPM on this thing. Just cannot get used to the spacing or the tactile feedback.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I'm with ya.

It boggles my mind that some people can't just ignore what they don't like, but such is life I guess. And to think the strict moderation is what makes CD a good forum? Egads!
Yeah, that struck me as kind of weird too!

Sort of like "We control the horizontal ... we control the vertical ..."

I didn't mean to sound stupid or mean-spirited on that thread BTW - I just can't figure out a few things here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships