Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:36 PM

946 posts, read 2,919,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Actually, the correct English grammar would be: "Actually, it's the native speakers that spell like this."

I guess none of us is perfect, go figure.
Was that intentional?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 07:36 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,028,557 times
By the way, going overboard on what "sounds" like good grammar is just as embarrassing for a person with a good command of the language to hear.

Ex: "That man gave he and I an odd look."

The rule: It's easy. Separate each out into its own short sentence. "That man gave he an odd look. That man gave I a good look."

No. Actually, it would be "him and me." But that sounds incorrect to some people so they chop up the language in a different way instead.

Nobody is perfect. If good English is your thing, find a writer. It's not hard to do, especially on the internet. OP: Just make sure she doesn't require appropriate punctuation.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:37 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,202,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
It doesn't hurt to spell check/proof read though.
Spell check doesn't catch ignorance. There was a whole paragraph circulating the Web that made it perfectly fine through a spell checker, but it was all wrong.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Afraid not. That applies to objects, not people.
No, it applies to people.

ETA: Well smack my doggie, we're both right. So you were wrong to correct me and I was wrong to correct you. One learns something new each day! (Or...you learn something new each day. ; )

Heritage Dictionary:

It is entirely acceptable to write either the man that wanted to talk to you, or the man who wanted to talk to you.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:38 PM

48,555 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It's NOT a typo! You can see it on this forum, too, all the time!

Actually, it's the native speakers who spell like this.
Then you can shred me. I re-read some of my posts before I hit send, and some sentences are hardly... coherent. My brain goes faster than my fingers.... or my fingers go faster than my brain.

If I didn't re-read gawd only knows what I send out.

Though, when I did online dating, I made an effort to NOT sound like an idiot.

But if I found it that shocking, I just wouldn't respond to the person behind the profile.

I mean, I had to deal with a guy who was pretty adamant about knowing my status on oral sex at our first chat (sent him packing). My god, we're in our forties, some decorum please.

What the OP is complaining about is fluff.

(and re-reading this I seem awfully concerned about calling upon a deity. Definitely would edit out the repetition. /lolo

Old 09-06-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Was that intentional?
Yes, and it was (is) correct English. "None of us is perfect." (i.e. "Not one of us is perfect.") The Object here is "none" (not one or no one), which is singular, not "us", which of course is plural.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:40 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,202,868 times
Quote:
Was that intentional?
That's fine.

None is or None are?
"None has been both singular and plural since Old English and still is. [. . .] If in context it seems like a singular to you, use a singular verb; if it seems like a plural, use a plural verb. Both are acceptable beyond serious criticism" (Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage).

Frequently Asked Questions | Dr. Grammar

Old 09-06-2011, 07:40 PM

946 posts, read 2,919,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
By the way, going overboard on what "sounds" like good grammar is just as embarrassing for a person with a good command of the language to hear.

Ex: "That man gave he and I an odd look."

The rule: It's easy. Separate each out into its own short sentence. "That man gave he an odd look. That man gave I a good look."

No. Actually, it would be "him and me." But that sounds incorrect to some people so they chop up the language in a different way instead.

Nobody is perfect. If good English is your thing, find a writer. It's not hard to do, especially on the internet. OP: Just make sure she doesn't require appropriate punctuation.
Good grammar and spelling shouldn't be expected of writers or professors exclusively. It's basic, common knowledge that's taught to us in Elementary and Middle school. I don't know why people decide to butcher it the way they do. It makes me cringe.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

But if I found it that shocking, I just wouldn't respond to the person behind the profile.
There you go. Problem solved in one swift action (or lack of action).

Old 09-06-2011, 07:42 PM

20 posts, read 47,337 times
Many people nowadays are horrible spellers. Others are almost functionally illiterate. With the advent of smartphones and texting, the English language and it's attendant rules are woefully left in a sorry state. If correct grammar and spelling are important to you, then look for women who are writers or English majors. No use getting your tighty whiteys further in a twist over this imperfection. Your little grammar-correct sweetie is somewhere out there wondering where you are now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships