Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:07 AM

752 posts, read 2,087,340 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of it is because gay men seem to have a lot of social poise.

Also there seem to be a lot of gay men in the beauty, art, and fashion fields.

My favorite gay character was George on My Best Friends Wedding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 08:13 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
One of my best friends is a gay man. When my mother heard that I had grown close to a gay man, she was over the moon with joy. She thought he'd civilize me. I had to break it to her gently that all gay men do not necessarily think shopping at the Short Hills Mall is a perfect day and that they do not necessarily come with perfect fashion sense and accessories or go clubbing at the trendy hotspots. My gay best friend and I have gone shopping for trucks together, we prefer Old Navy for our everyday wardrobes and we mostly socialize in dimly lit pubs.

He DID totally back up my mother's demand that I paint an accent wall in my old condo though. Sigh.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:21 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
It's kind of a stereotype, isn't it? I wonder if gay males really do have more women friends than straight males. I mean some gay men seem mainly to hang out with other men socially, while of course others hang out with both or mainly women. Of the gay men I've met a lot didn't meet the flamboyant Carson Kressley Queen type of persona, fashionable, funny, and like one of the 'girlfriends.'

Old 06-28-2012, 08:26 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
Of course it's a stereotype. The thing that makes a gay man gay is his attraction/feelings of love towards males. Anything else is just a personality specific to that particular man. Like any stereotype, some live up to it and some find it abhorrent.

I find it weird when women have a gay man fetish, like he's a pet and not an actual person.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:28 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Of course it's a stereotype. The thing that makes a gay man gay is his attraction/feelings of love towards males. Anything else is just a personality specific to that particular man. Like any stereotype, some live up to it and some find it abhorrent.

I find it weird when women have a gay man fetish, like he's a pet and not an actual person.
Yeah Carson Kressley or something seems like a character, he's so over the top, but then again that was Reality TV as well. I've known gay men who 'acted the part' but they had a bit more depth to them and didn't seem so one dimensional.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:43 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,690,945 times
To continue the ridiculously stereotypical theme with which this thread was initiated:

I think that abrasive, overweight straight women are drawn to pop culture's stereotype of flamboyant, dramatic gay men, as a compromise. They are afforded male love and companionship, without the sting of rejection, but absent the sexual intimacy that they wouldn't get from straight men anyway.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:58 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
Oh yeah. I used to work in a bar where one of my regular customers was a gay man. He wasn't flamboyant per se, but he was clearly gay. A really nice guy, funny, good-looking, etc. One night two women were chatting with him and when he went to the bathroom, they told me they wanted him to be "their new gay", like they saw him as a status symbol. It wasn't the first time I witnessed attitudes like that, either.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,631,269 times
When I was in middle school there was gay kid that at the prom he danced with the hottest girls there but I couldn't a single one of them to dance with me. Lucky bastard lol.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:24 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times
I have become sort of friends with a couple of gay men who work at the starbucks where I go. One is almost twenty years younger than me and the other is probably my age to five years older.

I do not think they have some extreme fashion sense, social poise, etc. I don't either! What they DO have is absolute quirkiness. I have this as well and it is pretty hard to come by people either with this or accepting of this. People look at you like you are crazy or they are just flat out better than you.

I have never been much for hanging with gay men, etc. I do feel comfortable around these two, however. like I can be myself and not be judged. Most certainly, I hope they know they can feel the same around me.

I was talking to my bf about them yesterday. People like this as well as younger people seem to be drawn to me. I am drawn more so to the elderly, so I don't know whats going on.....

Old 06-28-2012, 09:27 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
To further confuse things...there are several heterosexual men...often young men, who behave in a stereotypically homosexual manner. Maybe they're smarter than the rest of us?

Hmmmm....It worked in the movie "Kick-Ass" anyway.
But what is a "homosexual manner"? Sexuality has little to do with behavior. A gay man is sexually attracted to other men. He may hate fashion and love sports, but if he's gay, he wants to have sex with men. Likewise, a straight guy might love theater and own lots of pink shirts, but if he's into women, he's not gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships