Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:34 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Surely you must be "unrefined" if you enjoy sports, right? And wit goes right out the window! All you've basically stated is that you don't like men who act in a masculine manner and are attracted to feminine men. That's fine, but it's rather sapphic...
I'd say you might be unrefined if your CD handle is "Free Beer."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 07:43 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
I think a lot of it is because gay men seem to have a lot of social poise.

Also there seem to be a lot of gay men in the beauty, art, and fashion fields.

My favorite gay character was George on My Best Friends Wedding.
I don't know. I'm not drawn to gay men...and I don't know any other straight women that are.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:49 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOne View Post
Yeah, I bet the gay guys would feel comfortable at the gun show, Lowes, the NASCAR race etc... That'll be the day. I'd keep quiet about *the gay* part if it were me. Ever hear the song Ten Thousand Fists by Disturbed? Something like that.
Um, my buddy can hold his own anywhere - he used to manage a loading dock and dealt with truck drivers, high school dropouts and rowdy frat boys all day long. Never had a problem. Also socialized with many of those same people outside of work - they all came to his parties.

But I know you're probably wedded to your stereotypes.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:28 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Yeah, my (gay) friend Nick knows more about hockey and NASCAR than any other guy I know.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:31 AM

819 posts, read 1,129,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I'd say you might be unrefined if your CD handle is "Free Beer."
Yes, "refined" people prefer to pay for their adult beverages, n'est-ce pas? Do you like to hang out at dinner parties where everyone pretends to be rich and interesting but they're really all boring and in massive debt?

Old 06-29-2012, 08:49 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Yes, "refined" people prefer to pay for their adult beverages, n'est-ce pas? Do you like to hang out at dinner parties where everyone pretends to be rich and interesting but they're really all boring and in massive debt?
Throwing a French phrase in for effect, does not make "one" refined.

It's just a sensibility . . .either you're on the cave man/crude side ("me want free beer") or you have more sophisticated interests.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:06 AM

855 posts, read 1,384,541 times
Women are attracted to gay men because:

#1 Most gay men have a strong fashion sense and are very neat in their appearance.

#2 Gay men are safe because a straight woman doesn't have to worry about getting hit on. The very reason a lot of straight women hang up at gay bars and clubs.

#3 Many straight women believe that gay men are made which can be fixed by the right woman. The ultimate conquest is to turn a gay guy straight.

#4 Some gay men are overtly submissive. A perfect working relationship for the dominant, power-feminist who loves to be in control of men but doesn't get the same amount of control with a straight guy.

#5 Gay guys will put up with a lot more flack from women than straight guys. Gay guys are somewhat more sensitive to a woman's feelings so offering a shoulder to cry on or her needing a man to take out her frustations is paramount.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:55 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,949,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't know. I'm not drawn to gay men...and I don't know any other straight women that are.
Thank God!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Um, my buddy can hold his own anywhere - he used to manage a loading dock and dealt with truck drivers, high school dropouts and rowdy frat boys all day long. Never had a problem. Also socialized with many of those same people outside of work - they all came to his parties.

But I know you're probably wedded to your stereotypes.
LOL I don't know any manly men who would want to, much less hang out with one. The creepy factor sets in and no one likes another dude checking them out. Bring his sister instead.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:08 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOne View Post

LOL I don't know any manly men who would want to, much less hang out with one. The creepy factor sets in and no one likes another dude checking them out. Bring his sister instead.
You don't get it. Manly men aren't threatened by someone else's sexuality, because it has nothing to do with them. It's called being secure. If having someone you're not interested in eyeing you was such a terrible thing, most women wouldn't leave the house.

If gay men flirted with the biker I used to date or the sniper I dated after him, either one of them would cheerfully flirt back. As the biker put it "Seriously, is anyone really gonna think I'm gay? And even if they did, why would I care?" (Ok, there were more expletives in that statement than I inserted.) The sniper just thought it was funny.

Hell, my straight male friends (including a former Marine) would accompany our gay friend out to gay bars on occasion. He was also a groomsman for the Marine's wedding.

Some pretty emotionally fragile manly men you hang with.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:19 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,949,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
You don't get it. Manly men aren't threatened by someone else's sexuality, because it has nothing to do with them. It's called being secure. If having someone you're not interested in eyeing you was such a terrible thing, most women wouldn't leave the house.

If gay men flirted with the biker I used to date or the sniper I dated after him, either one of them would cheerfully flirt back. As the biker put it "Seriously, is anyone really gonna think I'm gay? And even if they did, why would I care?" (Ok, there were more expletives in that statement than I inserted.) The sniper just thought it was funny.

Hell, my straight male friends (including a former Marine) would accompany our gay friend out to gay bars on occasion. He was also a groomsman for the Marine's wedding.

Some pretty emotionally fragile manly men you hang with.
So secure in fact you have nothing in common with said gay guy. Nothing at all. Gay men wouldn't even try it. One look and they find somewhere else to play. They could have joined me on the lake today fishing with the nightcrawlers in the cooler with the pop to keep them cool if they wish. I'm not baiting their hook or taking it off for them though. You know the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships