Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 12:26 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,204 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how much consideration you are / should give such an issue (???) This assumes the entire family lives just a couple miles from you and where such things as extreme gossip, snootiness, and control are prevalent.

Please discuss your thoughts. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 12:33 PM

479 posts, read 835,620 times
That's a big "pass" unless the fiance "see's it the same way." And noticibly sets appropriate boundaries...

Old 11-22-2011, 12:38 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,989 times
[quote=Djuna;21821780] Mod cut: Orphaned. Referenced post has been deleted.

Oh, and to the OP, if you can't deal with her family now, think about the daily ins and outs of it and then make your decision. They will not change (and that's ok) but if you can't deal, think about the rest of it very seriously.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-22-2011 at 01:53 PM..

Old 11-22-2011, 12:47 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
No need to, since im not inquiring for myself . And if you cant take your atheism being challenged, then stay out of the kitchen !
I'm always up for a challenge, you know that

Old 11-22-2011, 01:19 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
You don't know this poster obviously. Little in-house joking.
OK...sorry about that...didn't get the joke...

Old 11-22-2011, 01:22 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,334 times
Hahaha sounds like my family in law!

Goodluck!!!

Old 11-22-2011, 01:40 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Just wondering how much consideration you are / should give such an issue (???) This assumes the entire family lives just a couple miles from you and where such things as extreme gossip, snootiness, and control are prevalent.

It is wise to remember that you don't just marry a person, but the person they have become based on their family of origin.

If the family of origin has issues like alcoholism or mental health concerns I would recommend a very long courtship to be really sure you know your fiancee' well and that you want people like this to be your future children's relatives.

If however they are just unpleasant, gossipy or controlling people I would not let this keep me from the love of my life, I'd just be sure to move a few states away once you get married

Old 11-22-2011, 01:49 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
Quote:

Yes, it is very important. Don't minimize its importance. If you doubt, check all of the online sites where inlaws complain about each other and make each other's lives miserable.

I just read a post where someone asked, "If she hates us so much, why did she marry into this family?"

It is a legitimate concern, just like values, finances and other things are.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:57 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Yes, it is very important. Don't minimize its importance. If you doubt, check all of the online sites where inlaws complain about each other and make each other's lives miserable.

I just read a post where someone asked, "If she hates us so much, why did she marry into this family?"

It is a legitimate concern, just like values, finances and other things are.
Yes...i have to agree totally. The inlaws can become the outlaws in a hurry .

Old 11-23-2011, 08:44 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,389,384 times
Yes, my in-laws were a problem... they were beyond a problem. How to solve the problem? Never see them again. They despised me, threatened their son, "If you marry her, we will disinherit you" (and they have oodles of money), and the result was... in 20 years we've seen them about 4 times. They never call, never send gifts or cards and if they died, neither my husband or I could care less.

I've never understood people who agonize over worthless in-laws. Excise them from your life! I never agreed with Dr. Laura on much, but one thing she was right about: if you have abusive parents or in-laws, divorce them and move on.

No in-law has the right to make you feel bad without your permission. And it's a huge red flag if your spouse is taking their parents side over yours: a spouse should always come first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships