Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 08:17 PM

12 posts, read 37,254 times

Advertisements

To me, it just seems like people date for the wrong(well, what I think is wrong) reasons. It's all based on looks, "oh she's hot" or "oh, he's sexy" and superficial things.

I'm starting college in the fall and I have observed from facebook and instagram the guys I went to high school went have not grown up a bit. For some of them, their behavior/lifestyle even got more immature! So college guys will be almost a replica of high school guys. I didn't date in high school, just because I knew how most of them were.

I was reading a thread on the Fashion & Beauty forum of this site about whether or not guys like makeup on a girl. On the thread it was said that guys that claim to like no makeup on a girl a.k.a natural beauty actually mean that they really just like a girl who wears natural looking makeup. On that same thread, one person posted that most guys who actually want a 100% makeup free girl only wants a "plain jane" because they are controlling, know not many other guys would want her, and knows because of that, that girl will likely stay with him because her dating options are low. I have nothing against makeup. I use light makeup for special occasions. But for the other 360 days of the year, none. I know a lot of people say looks aren't everything, but those same people drool over celebrities.

I don't wear makeup because there are other things I'd rather spend my time on, like reading and improving my writing and playing my favorite video games. Right now I have no interest in boyfriends or dating because I want to focus on adjusting to college and choosing a major, but I know that eventually there will come a time where I do have an interest but then I think why bother dating? It's all about looks. At least in the beginning it is. Yeah, maybe once you date for a little bit the guy might care about your personality.. but how do you get the attention of that guy in the first place? Looks.

So here's the bottom line: I'd like to date eventually but I know my make-up less face will be a huge disadvantage. Oh well. I don't like the feel of make-up, it feels icky, and dirty. I choose my comfort and personality (just never been girly) over impressing guys. If a guy refuses to talk to me because I don't like wearing make-up, oh well. Not a guy I want to be with. And A LOT of guys care about looks no matter how much they deny it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 08:21 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Why worry so much about what others think of you?
You go to college to learn and be educated for a career (in theory), you do not pay all that tuition money and spend all that time to learn how to drink, date and party.

Live your life the way you want and if you are happy with yourself the way you are then that is all that is necessary.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:22 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Dating is NOT all about looks for everyone. The trick is to find men who value other things about women. They're definitely out there, and some are in college. Plenty of college women don't wear makeup, btw. So don't worry about it.

fyi, a good rule of thumb here on C-D is to not let all the negativity get to you, or actually affect how you think. Take it all with a few grains of salt.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:22 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
To me, it just seems like people date for the wrong(well, what I think is wrong) reasons. It's all based on looks, "oh she's hot" or "oh, he's sexy" and superficial things.

I'm starting college in the fall and I have observed from facebook and instagram the guys I went to high school went have not grown up a bit. For some of them, their behavior/lifestyle even got more immature! So college guys will be almost a replica of high school guys. I didn't date in high school, just because I knew how most of them were.

I was reading a thread on the Fashion & Beauty forum of this site about whether or not guys like makeup on a girl. On the thread it was said that guys that claim to like no makeup on a girl a.k.a natural beauty actually mean that they really just like a girl who wears natural looking makeup. On that same thread, one person posted that most guys who actually want a 100% makeup free girl only wants a "plain jane" because they are controlling, know not many other guys would want her, and knows because of that, that girl will likely stay with him because her dating options are low. I have nothing against makeup. I use light makeup for special occasions. But for the other 360 days of the year, none. I know a lot of people say looks aren't everything, but those same people drool over celebrities.

I don't wear makeup because there are other things I'd rather spend my time on, like reading and improving my writing and playing my favorite video games. Right now I have no interest in boyfriends or dating because I want to focus on adjusting to college and choosing a major, but I know that eventually there will come a time where I do have an interest but then I think why bother dating? It's all about looks. At least in the beginning it is. Yeah, maybe once you date for a little bit the guy might care about your personality.. but how do you get the attention of that guy in the first place? Looks.

So here's the bottom line: I'd like to date eventually but I know my make-up less face will be a huge disadvantage. Oh well. I don't like the feel of make-up, it feels icky, and dirty. I choose my comfort and personality (just never been girly) over impressing guys. If a guy refuses to talk to me because I don't like wearing make-up, oh well. Not a guy I want to be with. And A LOT of guys care about looks no matter how much they deny it.

Another college freshman who knows it all.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why worry so much about what others think of you?
You go to college to learn and be educated for a career (in theory), you do not pay all that tuition money and spend all that time to learn how to drink, date and party.
I stated in my post college and education is my main focus. I have no interest in drinking and party. You know the immature guys I mention in the beginning? I consider them immature because that's all they do: drink and party. I'm just concerned about how society as a whole thinks, in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Another college freshman who knows it all.
Another person who assumes that because I'm a college freshman I must think I know it all. I don't. I posted an opinion and I'd like to get some input. Input that is useful.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:54 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,850,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Yes, but if you're good looking, things are awesome for you.

So, why would you not take advantage and enjoy the spoils?

Old 01-11-2014, 08:56 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,644,348 times
Date older guys

Old 01-11-2014, 08:58 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
Just because you are in college now does not automatically change anything, you are still a kid. I think some of the things I did in college were some of the most immature things I have ever done in all my life, so do not be surprised with what others are doing. You will meet plenty of mature students in college, but dating should not be the number one goal on your mind, it should be succeeding in college. Good luck, have fun, date if you want or if time permits.

4,217 posts, read 7,304,232 times
Date older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
Yes, but if you're good looking, things are awesome for you.

So, why would you not take advantage and enjoy the spoils?
I don't enjoy wearing makeup. Not going to change who I am for a guy or anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships