Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 01:08 PM

788 posts, read 1,274,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
However, the stereotypes against Asian Indians are actually increasing by the day and Asian American men are more and more shown as the undateable ugly pariahs that no one wants. So yeah the negative stereotypes heaped against one minority group has decreased(in this case African Americans) while the negative stereotypes against another minority group(Asian men) are not only encouraged but also appreciated by White bread America.
Seriously? I'm white and have dated Bangladeshi and am talking to a guy of Arab/Pakistani descent (both of their parents were from those countries). The Bangladeshi's mom insists that he marry a Bangladeshi girl, but I have no idea how that's going to happen since he clearly prefers white women. It's too early in the game to know about the guy I'm currently talking to and what his parents prefer. Anyway, I don't particularly care about race, since I'm most concerned with who the person is and how well we get along.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:12 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,230,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpapayas View Post
I agree with this, for men the race of a girl is not a dealbreaker but for women it's an absolute dealbreaker if he belongs to say a particular race that's undateable in her opinion.
I have a feeling that there are many women who have experienced the opposite of this - so they believe that the opposite is true. When it comes to dating outside of one's race or within one's race - it really comes down to the individual and not the gender.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,298,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
We're Americans. My grandmother was actually born here in the 1916 - so we were Americans before the war. But I was raised as a proud American. My mom is actually pretty political now. It was pretty hard going to Hiroshima and seeing the dome and everything - especially for my mom. I think, if anything, it's made my family believe that we need to work harder as a country to learn from our mistakes so that the same thing doesn't happen to anyone else here.
That's very gracious of her... I certainly wouldn't feel this way.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:20 PM

73,185 posts, read 62,886,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Virginia leads the nation in the percentage of marriages between blacks and whites, a new study by the Pew Research Center shows, barely four decades after state laws criminalizing interracial marriage were struck down by the Supreme Court. And one in five new married couples in the District crossed racial and ethnic lines.

Intermarriage rates soar as stereotypes fall - The Washington Post
This is in the DC area. DC was rated one of the best cities for interracial couples. This stat reigns true for Washington DC. One might want to look at other metropolitan areas, like Atlanta, Birmingham, Pittsburgh, Detroit, New Orleans, Jacksonville, and some other cities.

Conversely, you could also look at places like Denver, Seattle, New York City, Minneapolis, which were all rated among the best cities for interracial couples. Interestingly, DC and NYC stand out because they have large Black populations. Denver, Seattle, and Minneapolis all have African-American populations under 20 percent(although Minneapolis is inching towards 20 percent).

Old 02-26-2012, 02:57 PM

73,185 posts, read 62,886,348 times
Being an African-American male living in the South, I've learned this: The more things change, the more they stay the same. Even if attitudes towards interracial couples may have changed, there are still hangups, and there are still people who think in stereotypes.

For example, I know some Black women who are of African descent and Caribbean descent American whose parents would object to them dating Black American men. One girl was told "you can date White guys, but NO African-American men, period". Her parents would prefer her to marry a man from the Caribbean, but they would be okay with her marrying a White guy. However, her parents objected to African-American men. It felt very disturbing to be honest.

Other ethnicities I have noticed such attitudes from have also included Mexicans and some Asians. I know one woman who is of Mexican descent(she was born in the USA). She isn't White. Her parents had their preference for a Mexican man for her. However, they didn't think of it as a big deal if she married a White guy. The big caveot was this: No Black men. I met a girl who told me about an Asian girl whose parents didn't want her dating Black men.

Attitudes towards the institution of interracial marriage might be softening. With that said, the more things change, some things stay the same. While many people approve of interracial marriage, it often depends on which ethnicity. Some people still think in stereotypes.

I've never dated anyone period. However, I have been told that quite a few people, even foreign-born Blacks, don't want to date Black American men. This is what I was told by some people. There also exists a stereotype that Black men/White women relationships are considered "trashy" or based on something other than love. This is what I've been told. Personally, I don't know what is going on at this point. I am noticing that some people still think in terms of stereotypes. Being a Black American male at age 25, this actually hurts me alot. It hurts me because I am basically the opposite of alot of stereotypes. I don't have children out of wedlock. I don't even have kids. I know this because I'm a virgin. I'm not what people consider "ghetto". I speak proper English(one woman thought I was from Minnesota). I like reading books. I am on my way to getting a college degree(I took time off from school because of medical problems). I don't sag my pants. People who think in stereotypes would not know this because they wouldn't bother to ask. Why? It's easy. It doesn't require alot of thinking.

My point is this. People might approve of interracial marriage, and might act on it. However, some people will still judge based on stereotypes.

Last edited by green_mariner; 02-26-2012 at 03:15 PM..

Old 02-26-2012, 05:01 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,436,032 times
The only type of intermarriage I habitually see, regardless of where I've lived, is white and Hispanic (but then I believe Hispanics are actually considered white). It really only sticks out because a blonde now has a Hispanic surname or because one of the people in the couple has more indigenous Latino(a) looks. I still don't see it that much among other groups, except for the occasional rich guy with the bad "combover" that has wooed a Filipino, Thai or Russian (also white) girl.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:10 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,032,976 times
Where I live in LA, it's extremely common to see the White guy/Asian girl couple...to the point where I'm actually surprised when I see an Asian girl (who's Americanized) with an Asian guy.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:12 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,436,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Where I live in LA, it's extremely common to see the White guy/Asian girl couple...to the point where I'm actually surprised when I see an Asian girl (who's Americanized) with an Asian guy.
I've heard about that in the Bay Area but not so much in LA. I'm originally from there. I'll bet Asian guys are pissed.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:39 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,734,454 times
Quote:
This so common in every corner of America that I'm as surprised as you are when I see an Americanized Asian woman with a non-white man.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:46 PM

220 posts, read 476,382 times
Quote:
No that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying men have been trying to date outside their race for a long time. The qualities that men (like myself) desire in a woman can be found in a woman of any race. We didn't grow up dreaming of a "Princess Charming" who would look a certain way and make our lives perfect (well, I can't speak for most guys I guess), the way women do.

Essentially, no good looking girl is ever invisible to a guy. But good looking guys of certain races can be invisible to many women because that's "just their preference".

Bingo my man. You nailed it. I think a lot of what women do is for "social" reasons, not always what's best for them.

More so: "what will others think?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships