Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:59 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,581,988 times

Advertisements

Ok...so this question is a little different than the first one....

This question is about the clothing men wear....Ladies does it matter to you whether or not your man shops at the mall for his threads or somewhere else like say...Kmart?

I want to get a new wardrobe for myself and I know my dollars will go much further. I want to budget around $300. In my personal opinion that amount MAY get me 3 outfits if I go to the mall (I'm thinking Tilly's, Billabong, Vans)

I already have plenty of nice dress shirts when I got out on the town, but I feel a majority of my wardrobe is aging in my opinion (lots of clothes Ive had since age 17, Im 22 now) I have a few pairs of nice dark blue jeans I bought at Kmart over the summer but they are fading, I only have like 4 pairs of pants total anways, so more jeans will be bought

Ok so my question is, since women are so fashion conscious, would it matter to you if your man did his clothes shopping at the mall or at Kmart (or a similar store like Wal-Mart or Target)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 12:05 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Man, it doesn't matter where you buy your clothes as long as they look nice. I think you could probably do a little bit better than KMart though.. at least put SOME effort. There isn't really any reason to pay 75 dollars per shirt, but I think most of the clothes youre going to find at KMart isn't exactly going to look nice.

Go with places that are middle of the pack in price, save money from the high end, but get things that are fashionable. A good wardrobe will really make you look better.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:09 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,079,840 times
lol, it would never occur to me to ask a man I am dating where he got his clothes. Any woman worth dating should not care as long as you are neat and clean! (Or are 20-something women really that shallow?!)

Old 03-13-2012, 12:09 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,581,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Man, it doesn't matter where you buy your clothes as long as they look nice. I think you could probably do a little bit better than KMart though.. at least put SOME effort. There isn't really any reason to pay 75 dollars per shirt, but I think most of the clothes youre going to find at KMart isn't exactly going to look nice.

Go with places that are middle of the pack in price, save money from the high end, but get things that are fashionable. A good wardrobe will really make you look better.
I actually work for Kmart and while I agree that their quality isnt the best, they actually do have some nice looking clothing

And luckily, Tilly's wont charge me $75 for a shirt (thats more like Bloomingdale's) Tilly's would charge more like $20

The main reason I am even considering Kmart is because I am on a serious budget and Kmart is the only place I know that offers layaway and I'm TERRIBLE at saving money

Old 03-13-2012, 12:24 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,145,464 times
I don't think it matters where people buy clothes. It's more a matter of what they choose from the selection and how they put it all together.

That said, men can usually get away with smaller wardrobes than women. I'd suggest investing in a few nicer quality pieces that are basic & versatile & then mixing them in with the cheaper stuff. Pay attention to fit also; that can be where many men go wrong.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:38 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I don't think it matters where people buy clothes. It's more a matter of what they choose from the selection and how they put it all together.

That said, men can usually get away with smaller wardrobes than women. I'd suggest investing in a few nicer quality pieces that are basic & versatile & then mixing them in with the cheaper stuff. Pay attention to fit also; that can be where many men go wrong.

A friend of mine that I've known for a long time has always been kind of a goofy guy, and one thing that makes him look SO MUCH WORSE than he should is that he doesn't keep up with anything. He wears low quality clothes that fit terrible, doesn't cut his hair when he should. When he wears good clothes he looks like a different person, but the only good clothes he wears are if we force him to wear one of our shirts ( if we are going to a place and his wardrobe is just embarressing).

To the OP, KMart shouldn't be a problem, you don't have to advertise where you buy your clothes or anything.. but if you're going to shop there you should have at least some sort of a sense of what ACTUALLY looks good and what doesn't.

As was stated before, a smaller wardrobe isn't too big of a deal for a guy. I know I don't have too many shirts and too many jeans.. I just don't care enough lol, but what I do have I try to make it look nice.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:44 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,145,464 times
Quote:
A friend of mine that I've known for a long time has always been kind of a goofy guy, and one thing that makes him look SO MUCH WORSE than he should is that he doesn't keep up with anything. He wears low quality clothes that fit terrible, doesn't cut his hair when he should. When he wears good clothes he looks like a different person, but the only good clothes he wears are if we force him to wear one of our shirts ( if we are going to a place and his wardrobe is just embarressing).

I have a male friend who had a horrible sense of style & would whine about how women never liked him. He was always getting stopped at the airport because he had this unabomber look.

Finally, another female friend of his "forced" him to take $400 and go shopping with her (this was years ago, so that money went farther). He already had some nice suits (his mom picked them out - haha!), so they focused on casual clothes, shoes & nicer dress shirts & ties. He also got a better haircut. I kid you not - a few short months later he had a serious girlfriend.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:35 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,520 times
Quote:

Agreed but there is a personal style that I don't find appealing. For me, I prefer something like Express and Banana Republic. It doesn't mean you have to shop there, but their style is what I prefer. Not that I'm going to say no to a guy if he doesn't dress like them or buy clothes from there.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:42 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,375 times
I don't know what Tilly's is but I wouldn't be digging a man decked out in billabong and vans. Talk about aging you right back to your teenage years. I accidentally laughed out loud when my boyfriend took off his jacket and revealed an Express graphic tee underneath but I can't believe what some stores are passing off as fashionable.

It doesn't matter much where your clothes are from, just think "young professional" when you're buying them. Avoid graphic tees or casual shirts with stupid clever sayings on them. You may be able to find acceptable jeans at a box store but for thing like jackets and sweaters you should aim a little higher. K-Mart just isn't going to be quality enough for clothing if you plan on wearing it for more than a couple years.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:38 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,267 times
It is important to me that the clothes fit well. It is not nearly as important if it's a $10 shirt or a $30 shirt.

My husband is a really thin guy (6 ft, 140 lbs). When we first started dating in college, he would wear the free shirts they handed out at basketball games. Shirts that were always size L or XL. He looked ridiculous. A simple trip to target for shirts that were size small or medium made him look SO much more put together.

Now that college is in the past, it's all the more important to buy nice fitting clothing. His dress shirts are always fitted/slim fit shirts. They mostly come from Kohls or Macys, so they aren't expensive but they fit him well, and with a nice tie he looks really snazzy for a fraction of the Joseph Banks price.

Also, don't forget the shoes! Buy a pair of dressy/casual black shoes that you can wear when you want to step it up from sandals or tennis shoes. I can't tell you how many young guys ruin the look by pairing dark jeans and polos with light colored sneakers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships