Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 03:32 PM

77 posts, read 170,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I believe that diversity is superior to a monochromatic (or monolingual, etc) existence, and I believe that human beings are a higher level of being than, say, plants or bacteria or monkeys, for that matter. So let me ask you - what entire race of humans is competing with you for food? Who's a threat to you? What types of people are strange or foreign to you?
Unfortunately, its not possible to engage in sensible, intelligent debate with people who espouse the kind of simpleton nonsense & sound bite "knowledge" that you have thus far demonstrated yourself to hold.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:33 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pims26 View Post
Unfortunately, its not possible to engage in sensible, intelligent debate with people who espouse the kind of simpleton nonsense & sound bite "knowledge" that you have thus far demonstrated yourself to hold.
Fine, because I have no desire to debate you, or to have anything else to do with you, for that matter.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:40 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
While I do believe you can alter your likes/dislikes (including what you are attracted to in a mate), I don't believe one is morally obligated to change which skin tones they are attracted or not attracted to. I suppose if I wanted to, I could imagine that someone out there who is attracted to only Hispanics is missing out on their soul mate who happens to be white. That person *should* change their attraction. Everyone else who is "racist" because they prefer a certain skin tone = ok.

The only ones who are racist are the ones who don't date people of a certain skin tone because they think that all/most of them behave in a certain way or lack certain qualities (other than their preferred skin color).

Old 03-23-2012, 05:09 PM

566 posts, read 958,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Nonsense. Unless they are including some stereotype about white men as their reason for not dating them, it could just as easily be a preference of skin tone and nothing more.
You're getting things confused. Having a preference for a certain skin tone is different from saying they don't date a certain race simply because people of the same race come in different skin colors. You have extremely light whites, and you have whites with very tan/olive color skin (like many Italians do); you have extremely light skinned blacks and extremely dark blacks. That's not the same as just saying "I don't date white men" or "I don't date black men."

Old 03-23-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
You're getting things confused. Having a preference for a certain skin tone is different from saying they don't date a certain race simply because people of the same race come in different skin colors. You have extremely light whites, and you have whites with very tan/olive color skin (like many Italians do); you have extremely light skinned blacks and extremely dark blacks. That's not the same as just saying "I don't date white men" or "I don't date black men."
Well, I didn't really want to get into it, but there are subtle physical differences between people of different ethnicities beyond skin tone. And you're right that some "black" people aren't very dark, etc. But typically, you can tell, nevertheless. The point is, you don't call someone racist if they don't meet the criteria, unless you just want to be extremely disingenuous. There is one loophole in the technical definition for ya...

rac·ism (rszm)
n. 1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

racism - definition of racism by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Now, most people understand that "discrimination" in the context of "Racism, or no?" is referring to denying someone a right they are born with (e.g., freedom or health). Dating a particular person is not a right you are granted at birth.

Let's compare this to employment opportunities, in case you're wanting to What makes it okay for a woman to turn down a black man because he's black, when an employer can't turn him down for the same reason? Arguably, aesthetics has more to do with being dateable than it does with how well you can do most jobs out there. If you'd like to discuss this... it'll have to wait until after dinner

Last edited by Vic 2.0; 03-23-2012 at 06:00 PM..

Old 03-23-2012, 06:01 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
You're correct in that it's her prerogative (you can't force someone to date you), but you're incorrect in that she's not being racist. If someone rejects you immediately based on race (like in your example of a Black woman immediately saying "I don't date White guys"), and not individual characteristics, they're racist. Plain and simple. You weren't immediately disqualified because you're too short, or too chubby, or because you're unemployed; you were rejected because of your race and only your race. Someone who isn't racist and evaluates each potential dating partner as an individual (instead of immediately assigning them to a racial group and concluding whether or not to proceed solely based on that) wouldn't even mention the person's race when voicing their opinion/views of the potential dating partner.

It's truly amazing how clueless some of you are.
Let me touch a bit on this post^^ to try to explain why I THINK some people called the OP racist. 80% of the Asians I have come across, I am NOT physically attracted to. GENERALLY speaking, I am NOT attracted to Asian men. This is strictly based on their looks..their features.

However, I would NOT say I wouldnt date an Asian man, because I WOULD if I met one who I found attractive, and who was into me also.
(And was nice, kind, etc..etc). If I were to say I dont date Asian men, to ME that sounds like I am saying no matter if the asian dude was gorgeous, loved animals, had a good career, and treated women like queens..I would not date him. THAT is what it sounds like to some people if you say it like that.

Now, I KNOW Im generally not physically attracted to Asian men. But, if my asian friend asked me how I felt about dating asian men, I would have just said I haved no problem with it..if i like what he looks like. Because for ME, thats all it is. Just their FEATURES. NOT because their Asian. I HAVE seen Asians I am attracted to. Black people have such a wide range of looks from light skinned to dark skinned. Some actually have more european type features than other blacks. Some actually have different textures of hair, etc etc. So, Maybe thats why some people were a bit skeptical of the OP when she said she just never saw a black man she was attracted to.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:11 PM

620 posts, read 1,300,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
Let me touch a bit on this post^^ to try to explain why I THINK some people called the OP racist. 80% of the Asians I have come across, I am NOT physically attracted to. GENERALLY speaking, I am NOT attracted to Asian men. This is strictly based on their looks..their features.

However, I would NOT say I wouldnt date an Asian man, because I WOULD if I met one who I found attractive, and who was into me also.
(And was nice, kind, etc..etc). If I were to say I dont date Asian men, to ME that sounds like I am saying no matter if the asian dude was gorgeous, loved animals, had a good career, and treated women like queens..I would not date him. THAT is what it sounds like to some people if you say it like that.

Now, I KNOW Im generally not physically attracted to Asian men. But, if my asian friend asked me how I felt about dating asian men, I would have just said I haved no problem with it..if i like what he looks like. Because for ME, thats all it is. Just their FEATURES. NOT because their Asian. I HAVE seen Asians I am attracted to. Black people have such a wide range of looks from light skinned to dark skinned. Some actually have more european type features than other blacks. Some actually have different textures of hair, etc etc. So, Maybe thats why some people were a bit skeptical of the OP when she said she just never saw a black man she was attracted to.
You nailed it.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:19 PM

63 posts, read 131,273 times
Quote:
While I do believe you can alter your likes/dislikes (including what you are attracted to in a mate)
Like what you think is funny (or not), who you fall in love, smells you like (or don't), foods you like (and don't) and what colors you like (and those you don't), attraction is 100% out of our control and therefore, it is not a choice we have power over.

All we know is we like X Y & Z and that's all we know.

I defy anyone to prove otherwise.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTJ Vortex View Post
Like what you think is funny (or not), who you fall in love, smells you like (or don't), foods you like (and don't) and what colors you like (and those you don't), attraction is 100% out of our control and therefore, it is not a choice we have power over.

All we know is we like X Y & Z and that's all we know.

I defy anyone to prove otherwise.
Ah, but you are giving your argument as something factual, whereas I only said "I believe...". Burden of proof is all yours, my friend

Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 PM

63 posts, read 131,273 times
Quote:
Now, most people understand that "discrimination" in the context of "Racism, or no?" is referring to denying someone a right they are born with (e.g., freedom or health)
Actually, no-one is born with rights to freedom or health (or jobs or welfare, as some people believe).
These claims are simply myths that sadly, get passed around for years and years and then people ending up believe them, but without questioning if they are true or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships