Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:20 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Adult life can be like high school if you let it. I told one of the other posters here this before - back when I was in junior high, I wanted to be popular. I wanted to be pretty and have all the boys like me. But I didn't really like the popular girls. I hung out with them for a week or so with a friend of mine - and they weren't nice to me at all. So I realized that I wanted to be popular but have all my same friends. And then I realized that if I was happy with my friends - what difference did it make if I was popular or not. By the time I finished high school - I had found my niche. I hung out with all the drama kids (drama was really big at our school so we had a huge drama department). I had some really close friends, a great boyfriend, and I was well known within the drama crowd. I didn't care what the "popular" kids were doing and to be honest, I didn't even know who all of them were.

Now that I'm an adult - I live my life pretty much the same way. I try to be happy wherever I am and surround myself with people that I'm comfortable with, people that love me, people that I love, people that I can count on, people that think I'm cool (even though I'm a total dork!), etc. I could care less where we fit in on the social scale. I could care less what the rest of the world is doing with their lives! I'm happy where I am. I think that is all that matters.

If you let social standing, popularity, success, etc. run your life - then yes, you might feel like you are still in high school. But when you focus on what is really important - it doesn't feel that way at all.
Lol. They told me not to give you more reputation. They told me to give it to someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Lol. They told me not to give you more reputation. They told me to give it to someone else.
Give it to me. My ratio isn't that good for my wisdom.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:21 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,231 times
Life has become a lot more like high school since the advent of Facebook. In the 90s, you'd graduate high school then slowly move away from cliques when you went to college or got a job. Now, people are friends with all their people from HS so they still gossip about each other and try to one up each other. My elderly mother is always on Facebook gossiping about her own and other people's kids and lives. I find it all very odd and stay off Facebook.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:26 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
I don't know, but, I know my life isn't like that. I hated High School and I'm sure not going to relive it!!!!

Old 03-24-2012, 06:15 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Life has become a lot more like high school since the advent of Facebook. In the 90s, you'd graduate high school then slowly move away from cliques when you went to college or got a job. Now, people are friends with all their people from HS so they still gossip about each other and try to one up each other. My elderly mother is always on Facebook gossiping about her own and other people's kids and lives. I find it all very odd and stay off Facebook.
Best post I've seen on CD in a month!

Old 03-24-2012, 06:27 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Again - it's only like that if you let it be like that. I use Facebook to catch up with old friends and to see what my friends are up to. There is no gossiping or one upping. Recently - I was able to meet up with some college friends of mine that had moved to New Orleans. I had no idea they were living there but I found out on Facebook! On my recent trip there - we were all able to meet up! I hadn't seen one of them in 13 years! It was wonderful to reunite with him! We had such a good time. My husband has also gotten in touch with some of his old friends on Facebook and we were able to see them when they passed through town. Things are what you make of them.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:31 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Disagree.

Btw, my high school was way too big and way to heterogeneous to have those cliche 'popular' cliques, etc. Graduating class of 1390...I can tell you there was no 'popular crowd,' because I can't name a single person who would have been considered one of them (thereby nullifying their popularity).

Even so, I find being a grown adult super gratifying because I have the power to do whatever and be whoever I want to be. Now, this comes with a lot more responsibility, but it's totally worth it to be ME. And I haven't been rejected once for being who I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships