Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 06:40 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times

Advertisements

I believe on the whole that most men do objectify women to an extent (and women do men, but not to the same extent)...that a woman's value, today in the 21st century, is still based on physical attributes to a greater extent than a man's. Call it biology, call it patriarchy, call it whatever. Obviously, man men select on this basis, so women feel pressured to comply...

my first question then is, do most women feel oppressed by these restrictions? Do some revel in their role as a woman - to be desired.etc? I suppose for most it's a bit of both?

On one hand many women complain about men objectifying women - yet, of course, many women are feeding this, doing it to themselves. They value other women on the basis of looks.etc too..like the immature types might want to be friends with hot, popular women - a certain subset of women, but a mainstream subset nonetheless. Women as a whole still seem so preoccupied with looks. If you tell her she's ugly, it's basically the same as telling her she's a worthless human being. I suppose it's no one's fault: men are wired to like a pretty face, nice breasts or whatever, so maybe it's natural for women to want to play that up, although I think it's definitely gone further than what is natural.

The main question is, how hard is it to break out of this? To say, I don't care what men like or not like, I'm just going to be myself and not try to please them? How many women are really like this? Not to say you don't try to look good and attractive - well all want to be attractive - but how hard it is to completely divorce yourself from these expectations, and truly not have to value yourself on how you look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 06:42 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,948 times
I revel in the fact that outwardly I use my womanly attributes to my advantage...that is...until I open my mouth and then I get mistaken for being a man.

It's a fun game I like to play on the daily!

Old 05-10-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I revel in the fact that outwardly I use my womanly attributes to my advantage...that is...until I open my mouth and then I get mistaken for being a man.

It's a fun game I like to play on the daily!
LOL...reminds me of some of those transgender girls whose voices haven't really fully been 'feminized.' Hot...until they open their mouths. Sorry but it is a little bit of a turnoff, haha.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:49 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
LOL...reminds me of some of those transgender girls whose voices haven't really fully been 'feminized.' Hot...until they open their mouths. Sorry but it is a little bit of a turnoff, haha.
My voice isn't masculine it's what I say that isn't conventionally lady-like. My nickname at work is filter-because I have none.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:57 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,384,423 times
I think a lot of the pressure for women to look attractive comes from other women. Women can be very competitive with each other and are quick to lob petty insults at other women over their appearance, particularly weight, and style of dress. Men don't do this as much as women.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
My voice isn't masculine it's what I say that isn't conventionally lady-like. My nickname at work is filter-because I have none.
Oh what you say...I get it.

Well I like a woman who speaks her mind - to a limit.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
I think a lot of the pressure for women to look attractive comes from other women. Women can be very competitive with each other and are quick to lob petty insults at other women over their appearance, particularly weight, and style of dress. Men don't do this as much as women.
Yes...don't you agree when this happens it's reinforcing the 'objectification' of women?

But do most of these women even start getting on their soapbox about 'objectification' and whatnot?

Or is it the stereotypical dowdy Feminist in a loose sweater, wearing no makeup and thick-rimmed glasses?

I'm sure most women are vaguely aware of feminist theory and the objectification of women, but a pretty pair of heels or a nice dress is more important. I'm not saying wanting to look good = feeding objectification, but I DO think high heels definitely have a strong element of that.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:17 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,405,624 times
This past weekend my husband and I were out at a popular nightspot (upscale restaurant with bar that has a scene.) The guy alongside of us decided to high-five my husband in reference to me. I'm still torn on whether I should be flattered or offended. My husband jokingly made reference to "catching" me is kind of like Big Game hunting. LOL

Truth be told, I don't mind being objectified...just don't underestimate my value.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
This past weekend my husband and I were out at a popular nightspot (upscale restaurant with bar that has a scene.) The guy alongside of us decided to high-five my husband in reference to me. I'm still torn on whether I should be flattered or offended. My husband jokingly made reference to "catching" me is kind of like Big Game hunting. LOL

Truth be told, I don't mind being objectified...just don't underestimate my value.
Pardon me for saying this but your very username probably is a good indication of how you see yourself.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,405,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Pardon me for saying this but your very username probably is a good indication of how you see yourself.
But of course!

Based on years of experience on message boards, I opted to make it an obvious point that I am married. What you are unaware of is my many other handles on other accounts, which may or may not have something to do with being married.

And yes, my husband is a very big part of my life and I make no apologies for that. What you are unaware of is that I'm often asked online and off is "What does your husband do?" Hence why that username popped in my head.

So with that, you can infer whatever you wish from my username.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships