Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:49 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,274,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I have seen plenty of people with addictions, and I don't think that makes them selfish people.
Addiction is an inherently selfish disease, period. "Whatever it takes" is the team motto. I'm not talking about compulsion or a "heavy drinker" or "heavy gambler", I'm talking addiction. Doesn't matter the substance or vice - talk to any addict, they will tell you when in the throes of their addiction they are thinking of themselves and what it takes to accomplish their goal. Period.

I had a gambling addict on my hands. I have relatives who have been drug/alcohol addicts. All have been in recovery - all will tell you they had no problem with lying or doing whatever it took to fulfill the mission. These are not bad people, they simply got caught up in something bigger than they were before they knew it.

All that being said, I think you just stumbled on a lousy friend. Drinking or not, I suspect your personal property is of no consequence to him.

Addicts are selfish people. Selfish people are not necessarily addicts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 08:21 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,786,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

Have you had FRIENDS (not SOs) with addiction issues that were more trouble than they were worth?
Yes, all of them. I don't befriend addicts anymore and I certainly would never give them any responsibilities. They have a hard enough time managing their own life.

Next time ask one of your Mormon friends.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:35 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
The mail isn't about an addiction..He just didn't care... Sometimes you have to let certain "friends" go.
I don't this this is about addiction, either. OP asked a guy to go out of his way to pick up his mail, and the dude didn't want to do it. Doesn't sound like they were great friends to begin with. Everyone should have friends who'd pick you up at the airport, or help you move or keep an eye on things when you're out of town; this guy was not one of those friends.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 05-06-2012 at 08:44 AM..

Old 05-06-2012, 08:41 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
Maybe he thinks you're insensitive too and is just returning the favor.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:23 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I think it is amusing that you actually expected someone who is "incisive and caustic" when sober and "belligerant and an idiot" when drinking to do a good job on mail retrieval. It's got nothing to do with addiction. Choose friends more wisely Grasshopper.
I "let go" of the friendship immediately after that. Just stopped contact. He was definitely reliable if it involved driving 20 miles to meet for a "happy hour," or even for a day-trip.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Maybe he thinks you're insensitive too and is just returning the favor.
Thanks, this is a helpful slant on things.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks, this is a helpful slant on things.
You can ask him what the problem is.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
You can ask him what the problem is.
I think the problem is somewhat easy to figure out. Since no one ever did anything for him, he won't do anything for anybody else. Since my parents always did stuff for other people and I do stuff for my friends (like buy them dinner if they help me move or hand them $100), I sort of expect that one could deliver on (a) pick me up at SEA-TAC, (b) help me cart home something I bought at Home Depot 2 miles away because you have a hatchback, every once in a blue moon. Picking up people at the airport gives me an excuse to go to the airport, so I'm always up for that.

I can only think it's a family/upbringing issue. The other thing is that someone told me it interrupts time on weekends he has "set aside" to get drunk. Like I said, the two friendships I've had with alcoholics faded.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I think the problem is somewhat easy to figure out. Since no one ever did anything for him, he won't do anything for anybody else. Since my parents always did stuff for other people and I do stuff for my friends (like buy them dinner if they help me move or hand them $100), I sort of expect that one could deliver on (a) pick me up at SEA-TAC, (b) help me cart home something I bought at Home Depot 2 miles away because you have a hatchback, every once in a blue moon. Picking up people at the airport gives me an excuse to go to the airport, so I'm always up for that.

I can only think it's a family/upbringing issue. The other thing is that someone told me it interrupts time on weekends he has "set aside" to get drunk. Like I said, the two friendships I've had with alcoholics faded.
It's still better to ask him.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
It's still better to ask him.
FBd to say hi around Christmas. His profile is extremely locked. It had been years, and I had just gotten my account around Christmas-time. No response. I wanted to see if he'd "changed," maybe even go get something to eat. I've done my part. Just thought some people might have had similar experiences with friends like this on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships