Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:37 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,296 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who had an affair with a married man.

He had chased her and chased her and she finally gave in at a weak moment, after months of pestering (he was also her boss).

Two days after he finally slept with her (a total non-event), he ended her contract and she became unemployed.

Fast forward a couple of months, and she received a letter from the Health Department telling her she had been exposed to a venereal disease. She went and got tested and it came back positive. Due to the timing involved, it is unlikely the married boss gave it to her...it was chlamydia, which has no symptoms, so she could've contracted it from anyone in her past.

The dilemma - she is legally obliged to report all of her sexual partners so they can be followed up medically. Should she tell the married man/Health Dept? The wife is in the middle of her child bearing years and quite possibly wanted more children, having 2 little ones already. Untreated chlamydia can cause all sorts of problems including fertility.

Does she have a moral responsibility to tell the married man...he chose not to use any protection, and quite possibly carried the infection back to his wife.

Does she owe this jerk or his wife the truth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 06:40 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
honestly, only a friggen moron has unprotected sex with a stranger.

She should tell him. I wonder how he'll explain it to his wife. My bet is he won't.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:41 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
If I were in her position I would. Like you pointed out it wouldn't just be him affected. The best way to stop the spread of these kinds of diseases is to notify those at risk so that they can take precautions. Of course they should have used a condom and didn't, but perhaps - hopefully - if he has contracted it he will be more responsible in the future. It isn't a given, but in theory it increases the likelihood. It protects everyone, not just him.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:41 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,389,384 times
Quote:
Should she tell the married man?
Hell no. He fired her for no reason and used it shamelessly (though she consented---stupidly!) She should have filed sexual harassment charges against him. I'm sure most people here will tell you she has a 'moral obligation' to tell him, but I vigorously dissent. He's a swine who used her for sex and then cruelly dumped her.

And I hope to hell she learns never to have unprotected sex again. She could have gotten pregnant from this pig as well as getting God-knows-what-else from this loser.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:57 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post

He had chased her and chased her and she finally gave in at a weak moment, after months of pestering (he was also her boss).

Two days after he finally slept with her (a total non-event), he ended her contract and she became unemployed.
What were the circumstances of her dismissal? That sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:00 PM

366 posts, read 774,917 times
Default Yes, the right thing to do would be to inform her former lover...

Quote:

Fast forward a couple of months, and she received a letter from the Health Department telling her she had been exposed to a venereal disease. She went and got tested and it came back positive. Due to the timing involved, it is unlikely the married boss gave it to her...it was chlamydia, which has no symptoms, so she could've contracted it from anyone in her past.

The dilemma - she is legally obliged to report all of her sexual partners so they can be followed up medically. Should she tell the married man/Health Dept? The wife is in the middle of her child bearing years and quite possibly wanted more children, having 2 little ones already. Untreated chlamydia can cause all sorts of problems including fertility.

Does she have a moral responsibility to tell the married man...he chose not to use any protection, and quite possibly carried the infection back to his wife.

Does she owe this jerk or his wife the truth?
...because she can be held liable if something should happen to her former boss and his SO.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiansheng_g View Post
...because she can be held liable if something should happen to her former boss and his SO.

Why? He's the one who didn't care about the consequences to his wife. She had no knowlege of what she was carrying therefore cannot be held responsible. He made the choice to not use protection.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
What were the circumstances of her dismissal? That sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Sadly, no. She was a contractor, which means the contact was open ended and could be terminated any time for no explanation.

She was alarmed to later hear she had been replaced by an even younger girl, and guess what rumours were circulating? He was at it again...

Old 05-06-2012, 07:09 PM

52,258 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Why? He's the one who didn't care about the consequences to his wife. She had no knowlege of what she was carrying therefore cannot be held responsible. He made the choice to not use protection.
Unless it was rape... she made a choice to go bareback as well.

Let's not forget it takes two to tango.....

Old 05-06-2012, 07:11 PM

178 posts, read 376,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yep, sounds like she need to talk to a lawyer with experience in employment discrimination. Let the lawyer handle the disclosure, best way to go based on my experience in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships