Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:11 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
I wouldn't date someone who nitpicked and over analyzed the way people express themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 08:12 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So...now I can't take something you claim to be 'your life' seriously because it's just a figure of speech?

When someone says, "XYZ is MY LIFE," I take to mean something very significant. I think that is, by definition, a very defining statement.
I don't hear it bandied about casually.

But you're saying it's just some daily hobby/activity.

By your definition, that would mean work is everyone's life or taking showers or making a poopie...
Your life is something you live every day. Something that is your life is something that you do by choice, not by necessity-like breathing, showering (for some), every day.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:16 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
I wouldn't date someone who nitpicked and over analyzed the way people express themselves.
I wouldn't date someone who can't express themselves appropriately.

If you use hyperbole, then don't wonder later why people can't take you seriously.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:17 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Your life is something you live every day. Something that is your life is something that you do by choice, not by necessity-like breathing, showering (for some), every day.
Yes, I actually cleaned up and better explained what I meant - if you go back to that post, it's been added to for clarification.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 AM

Some people have a greater need for precision and clarity than others. Different communication styles. No biggie.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:21 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I wouldn't date someone who can't express themselves appropriately.

If you use hyperbole, then don't wonder later why people can't take you seriously.
I got it! Let's just all be the same. No individuality, no passion, no expression, no originality, no fun....

Old 05-11-2012, 08:24 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Some people have a greater need for precision and clarity than others. Different communication styles. No biggie.
Yes but to exclude someone for their style of communication, acting like because it's not like yours it's indecipherable is a bit

Old 05-11-2012, 08:26 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,675 times
I think stan that you meant an all-consuming passion or bit of an obssession? You are right that some people are short on vocabulary (one of my dislikes) and you took them at their word.

Last edited by Gudra; 05-11-2012 at 09:12 AM..

Old 05-11-2012, 08:30 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
I think stan that you meant an all-consuming passion or bit of an obssession? You are right that some people are short on vocabulary (one of my dislikes) and so you took them st their word.
Exactly, passion=good. Obsession/Addiction=bad. I listen to music every day. I got to concerts almost every weekend, but at work, I am focused on work, at school, I am focused on learning, I can differentiate passion from obsession.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Yes but to exclude someone for their style of communication, acting like because it's not like yours it's indecipherable is a bit
Yeah I have a friend like that...she's a law student, no surprise, she always picks apart every word you say, while missing the meaning, kind of not seeing the forest for the trees. As if trying to 'catch you.' People like this can be extremely annoying to me. I'm not one to quibble over definitions or things like that. I'm more a 'I know what you mean, I get the gist of what you mean' type of person. Not so analytical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships