Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 05:11 PM

131 posts, read 148,783 times

Advertisements

I recently started using Tinder and I've been enjoying it. I am a guy FYI. Only a few dates so far... but its a great supplement for meeting women outside your social circle OR as an alternative to sketchy nightlife settings.

Its the most shallow version of online dating I've seen yet. But that's ironically the genius of it. We know most people won't even read your profile on a dating site if they don't like your physical appearance (wrong height, weight, race, etc.). So why even have the profile? Let people talk to people they find attractive like they have done since the beginning of time.

Those are my thoughts. What are yours?

Old 06-13-2014, 05:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
I think it is amusing. Oddly enough I had my best online date from the Tinder app. Hahahah! The guy was a total gentleman and we had a blast. But we didn't really have compatible schedules or needs at that time!

But most of the guys are on there are looking for hook ups and I am not. But I did get some really good laughs about the messages I got. Like the guy who wanted to give me a massage, and sent me his address and door code a couple messages in.

And the other guys who were just POed because I didn't respond to their blow job requests.

I keep accidentally swiping things the wrong way. And passed up a few people that were totally my type.

On the whole it is amusing, but I don't think I'll find the love of my life there.

Another interesting thing is to see how the people change based on your location.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:45 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,793,734 times
Some quick notes:

Because of the "barely a profile" system they have going on, it's more looks-oriented and thus, more immediate gratification/hookup oriented. Something to bear in mind during use.

Since guys can't message women first, guys have the incentive to swipe ALL women right and then respond BACK to the women that liked them if they so choose. Unless the guy in question is being bombarded with messages from women already (and let's not kid ourselves, they're not), this is the best way to use the app.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:57 PM

432 posts, read 491,609 times
Yup. Swipe all women yes in order not to waste time. Get contacted by nothing but bots.

That sums up my Tinder experience. Useless.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:04 PM

131 posts, read 148,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Some quick notes:

Because of the "barely a profile" system they have going on, it's more looks-oriented and thus, more immediate gratification/hookup oriented. Something to bear in mind during use.

Since guys can't message women first, guys have the incentive to swipe ALL women right and then respond BACK to the women that liked them if they so choose. Unless the guy in question is being bombarded with messages from women already (and let's not kid ourselves, they're not), this is the best way to use the app.
The problem with that is you will get a lot of prostitutes.

I try to do some weeding out but I swipe the majority of women right. I swipe left if I see text on the screen (prostitute) or if she is 500 pounds. Sometimes men show up on the app even though you say you only want women. Also.. I've seen some women I know on the app as well. If its someone I know who I DON'T like and they swipe right too.. then we have an annoying problem. So it pays to weed out some people.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:09 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,277,553 times
Seems to work well.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:15 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,638,795 times
I've never used a Tinder, but my biggest issue with how it supposedly works is that you could find someone that you have a mutual interest in, exchange messages back and forth, only to discover a deal breaker, like one of you has a kid or something. You also need to ask the right questions. Does Tinder tell you if the other person smokes? If not, then I guess you'd better ask. But what if you forget and agree to meet? Then you'll be disappointed when you discover that the person's a smoker. I get what Tinder is trying to do, which is model online behavior after real life behavior. In the real world, you see someone you like, you smile, they smile back at you, and that may or may not be a sign of mutual interest. So the nice thing about Tinder is that you get confirmation of that interest. But traditional online dating makes it a lot easier to filter so you don't end wasting time on people you'd never be compatible with. This is why Tinder appeals to people looking for hookups. Those people probably aren't going to care too much if the other person had a kid or smokes or has a job.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:25 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,606,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Zen View Post
The problem with that is you will get a lot of prostitutes.

I try to do some weeding out but I swipe the majority of women right. I swipe left if I see text on the screen (prostitute) or if she is 500 pounds.
What do you mean text on the screen? There's text where the photo should be? What does it say?

Old 06-14-2014, 09:04 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,367,825 times
I could never get into a dating app like that when I was in the dating since. Since I care about the profile, and how the person communicates, it matters that the "profile" contain more than photos and a few sentences followed by stats/details.

Can I find out if said person is for marriage equality or is a pro-gun extremist on there? Nope. Can I see how well that person writes, you know, evidence they passed elementary school and their spelling and grammar isn't shot to hell? Negative. Is there a way to assess commonalities in worldview? Definitely not.

And no, these aren't things I want to find out eventually on date four or five. Those are important need to know now things, as in, from the get-go.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:22 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
You can exchange messages in Tinder. And I would say that is advised before meeting up. You just have to ask whether than hoping they put it in their profile. It shortens the time in choosing who to message.

People who you share Facebook friends or interests tend to show up first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships