Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 06:43 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times

Advertisements

I was talking to my girlfriend the other day who I have not seen in ages. We went to high school together. She got married when she was early 20s and they had two kids, which are the light of her life.

We had a few glasses of wine and she started crying to me and confessed that she feels like her and her man live together like roommates.

I wasn't sure what to say because I know them both and don't want to hear about the problems, so I sort of changed the subject.

But now I'm wondering what does that mean, roommates? I really thought they were happy together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 06:46 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I don't know what she means. My room mate and I live in the same place, but she has a boyfriend that she sleeps with. We don't really interact, we each have our own lives that don't really include the other. We buy our own food, we cook for ourselves (well, she cooks, I just heat up stuff).

Old 08-04-2009, 07:07 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
This is the way my wife's sister and her husband conduct their marriage.......after up-teen years of marriage! She plainly doesn't like being around him much and is gone every weekend she can be (at her grandchildren's parents home). They sleep in different rooms. She never says anything about him when we talk to her on the phone, unless we ask about him. She continues to wear her wedding set. She will not separate from him again; done this before and allowed him to move back in. She will not divorce him due to her "non-divorce" Christian beliefs......which, personally, I think is a "crock of ****!" She is 65 yrs old and folks that age do have a hard time finding someone compatiable these days.
We knew another older couple that also acted somewhat like roommates, who were also married for years. She was fairly obese in weight and he loved smoking, so they slept in different rooms. However, she has lost some weight now and he has stopped his smoking (Dr. orders to stay alive), so we don't know if the "separate rooms" is still going on in their marriage.
If people are married but living like roommates.......well, to each their own, but then again, personally, I would NEVER EVER do it and I think it is rather stupid! But, again......to each their own!!

Old 08-04-2009, 07:21 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Sounds like a great way to live like a dead person.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:25 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
From what I gather as I've never been married is that Marriage on the most part these days is no more than being "Glorified Roommates" built on a unstable or quicksand foundation using each other.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:28 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times
The best part is, people consider this to be a successful marriage! Basically they're in need in consouling...

Old 08-04-2009, 07:59 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I was talking to my girlfriend the other day who I have not seen in ages. We went to high school together. She got married when she was early 20s and they had two kids, which are the light of her life.

We had a few glasses of wine and she started crying to me and confessed that she feels like her and her man live together like roommates.

I wasn't sure what to say because I know them both and don't want to hear about the problems, so I sort of changed the subject.

But now I'm wondering what does that mean, roommates? I really thought they were happy together.
Having been married for over 12 years I know all about the roomate thing. You are not connected with the other person.
You are living in a home but are not a couple. Some even sleep in seperate bedrooms. Have their own life but live under the same roof. Eventually they seperate out of the house. This is the first step before a divorce.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:09 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
It means exactly what it sounds like. My stbx and I had that going on before we seperated. Seperate rooms, seperate accounts, did not eat together, hardly spoke to each other. I dont know where anyone would consider that success.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:12 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Living like roommates is when you just go through the motions of sharing space together. You divide the chores and maybe even expenses, you have seperate friends, and spend more time in seperate rooms of the house as opposed to together. They stay together out of convenience for the sake of children, finances or perhaps to save face with extended family or the church.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:34 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
I lived like that, roommates or brother and sister, in my last relationship...for about two years before we finally said "what is going on here" and then we let eachother go, it was never a good relationship anyway. We ended with nothing in common and would have ended up enemies, had we kept living together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships