Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 02:08 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,174,392 times

Advertisements

Oh wow! Ridiculous. 210k a year and he is bitching about a 20?
Okay you moved in and do not pay rent and he pays rent and uttilities? It is not like he cannot afford it. You have a job and make less yet as a responsible woman buy all the groceries? Good girl. At least you are not a free loader, you are contributing to a household that could run smooth and then some without you!
Meaning he is not dependant on your check to chip in!
I have done exactly what you have done, you are sharing a space, you want to get somewhere quick and get back home, 20.00 is not a big deal…
He seems petty and selfish and soo so sad. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 02:20 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I, too, prefer organics. However, I don't go crazy. Actually I think your comment speaks to your desire not to spend.
You are right.
It makes me angry to pay money for food that is devoid of nutrition and taste.
Keep grasping for straws, chickie. Try to paint me as a cheapo because I don't think men exist on this planet to fork over dough to women left and right.

I think that is the most disturbing thing on this thread. The people who think 'a real man' pays for everything. Oh, b.s. As a woman, I disagree completely.

No, I take that back...the most disturbing thing that is on this thread is all the people who think that just because you make more money, you owe everyone else something and you shouldn't care if people take advantage of you. That is even sicker.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:58 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You are right.
Keep grasping for straws, chickie. Try to paint me as a cheapo because I don't think men exist on this planet to fork over dough to women left and right.

I think that is the most disturbing thing on this thread. The people who think 'a real man' pays for everything. Oh, b.s. As a woman, I disagree completely.
The pov is damaging to women, imo. It promotes women as being dependents. Women, by and large in the US, choose career paths that are soft and therefore lower paying. Instead of worrying about what she can get for laying on her back, which is the message in this thread as far as I'm concerned, she should be thinking about why she has a 35k/yr job. Why is she not working to become a physician, an engineer, a financial analyst, an attorney from an Ivy? With that said, as far as the fine dining conversation goes, I don't really buy it. Low wage earners tend to date and marry other low-wage earners and such people are not going out and letting go of $2-300 a pop on dinner with frequency. No way. I call bull.

Quote:
No, I take that back...the most disturbing thing that is on this thread is all the people who think that just because you make more money, you owe everyone else something and you shouldn't care if people take advantage of you. That is even sicker.
It's the American way. This conversation reminds me of when I first moved to Boston. I used to go to a lot of shows and parties back in the day. The night would usually end around 4 am. I had my own car, but most people didn't. It doesn't make sense to own a car if you live in the city. I get that. But, since I did have a car, folk would start asking for rides. Ok, I wanted to be nice. I'd load my car up and start making the rounds. Sometimes I would get lost because this was before cell phones and GPS. I remember thinking to myself, while still driving around at 6am, that I bet all those people are tucked in their beds without a care in the world while I'm still driving around. Eventually, I had to learn to stop being a wuss and start saying no. "It's just one ride, man". Sure, if it was just one ride, ONCE, it wouldn't matter. It was never just one ride and in the OPs situation I highly doubt this was just one instance of $20. It never is.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:27 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
A relationship should be about equality. My income is far more than my current GF, naturally I take on far more of the expenses than she does. Since I do this, going forward I expect her to do more in other non financial ways, to bring about the equality.
Eg. cooking, cleaning, child minding. Just because one person earns far more than the other doesn't mean equality goes out the window, there are non financial ways the equality can be achieved.
If equality is not close to happening, even despite a talk, she is gone.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:51 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
A relationship should be about equality. My income is far more than my current GF, naturally I take on far more of the expenses than she does. Since I do this, going forward I expect her to do more in other non financial ways, to bring about the equality.
Eg. cooking, cleaning, child minding. Just because one person earns far more than the other doesn't mean equality goes out the window, there are non financial ways the equality can be achieved.
Naw.

I don't say to my wife, "I make more money, so you better clean the house." That is b.s.

It's a PARTNERSHIP. You both bring what you can. I make more money, yeah...but I'm home more, so I'll clean more. I also like cooking more than she does. So I'll cook. I hate bill paying and laundry and she doesn't. So she does that. I spend all my afternoons off taking care of our kid.

It's not like, "Oh I make X times more than you, so you are responsible for Y% more of the chores." That's not equality. Equality is being valued the same regardless of how much $$$ you bring to the table.
Equality is having equal responsibilities regardless of how much $$$ you make. If one person does not work outside the home at all, well...then they are home all the time, so they have the time to do more stuff. But if you both work equal hours, then either let one person quit and/or split the home chores equally.
Telling your gf she needs to make up the difference in your salary in chores is still holding the money over her head. Not cool.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:28 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
I agree 100%. He's a whiny, ridiculous, little creature. I once dated a guy I dumped when I found out he was a cheapskate. For God's sakes, the guy had money out the wazoo, yet re-used aluminum foil! (He had a little stash of folded, used aluminum foil in the kitchen - ew!!!). That's what this freak sounds like, only worse. This one also happens to be a whiner and wants to live off people who have less money. Total freak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
Oh wow! Ridiculous. 210k a year and he is bitching about a 20?
Okay you moved in and do not pay rent and he pays rent and uttilities? It is not like he cannot afford it. You have a job and make less yet as a responsible woman buy all the groceries? Good girl. At least you are not a free loader, you are contributing to a household that could run smooth and then some without you!
Meaning he is not dependant on your check to chip in!
I have done exactly what you have done, you are sharing a space, you want to get somewhere quick and get back home, 20.00 is not a big deal…
He seems petty and selfish and soo so sad. Sorry.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:29 AM

Oh come on. Stop justifying the real issue - cheapness, and the belief that those with money should live off those without it.

Quote:
You are right.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:31 AM

Oh yeah? Well, that's not what you're saying in your other posts.

Quote:
Naw.

I don't say to my wife, "I make more money, so you better clean the house." That is b.s.

It's a PARTNERSHIP. You both bring what you can.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:34 AM

I don't know that that's a good way to view a relationship. Is she then supposed to spend more HOURS at chores simply because her station is life financially is lower than yours?

If I were mega-rich, and were dating a poor guy, I wouldn't put him on house cleaning/house repair detail until he was able to 'compensate' for the difference in our wealth or income.

You know, either you want to be with someone, or you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post

Old 06-17-2012, 12:11 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Oh come on. Stop justifying the real issue - cheapness, and the belief that those with money should live off those without it.
I hope all the ladies that agree with Sari read this post lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships