Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:59 AM

380 posts, read 1,229,971 times

Advertisements

Hey Guy's

Im 25 years old and my Wife is 24 and just got college degree, I just work a manuel labor job for $10 an hour and the other night we had an argument and she said pretty much I was a low life with a crappy job. Now I dont have a degree like her but always want to go to school and get one.

We have been married for over 2 years and have been into too many fights to count. I love my wife but I have noticed since ive been married I have went from 200 LBS to 280 Lbs in over a 3 year span. No, I dont blame her but I dont feel very Unmotivated to exercise or eat right and im just wondering does marriage do that to everyone? or some people? We dont have any children which at the moment I think is a good thing due to our constant fights. I do love her. But I just feel miserable and Unhappy at times and so does she at times as well. I just want to here from you guys and let me know what you think please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 02:29 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Not another self righteous woman with a degree who thinks she's queen of the world. I'm very sorry you're in that situation.

What do I think? I think that I wouldn't ever marry someone like that. People like that are closed minded and think they are god's gift to earth because they went to college, women seem to be really bad about it. I'm sure there are guys that are like this too though.

Women like this are the ones who cry the most when you try to get rid of em too.

Anyways, I hope the best for you and I hope she gets put in her place sooner than later.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:44 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,936 times
Improve yourself for you, not for anyone else. Get on a diet/exercise regimen and stick with it. Go to school if you want to, not because your wife is punishing you. Tell her you're not going to stand for her calling you a low life. If she really feels that way then you should consider getting out of the marriage or going to marriage counseling.

Just because you're married doesn't mean you have to become a completely different person. Stand up for yourself and make your situation better for you.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:55 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Your wife should be supporting you in improving your prospects in life--NOT tearing you down.

(Although, I would love to hear her side of things too. )

According to the CPG rule, this marriage maybe salvageable because of the short length of your post. I would get busy and start reading and researching anything you can find on building a solid marriage, understanding your partners' fears and needs (and your own) and better communication.

You have the love, you just need to tools that will enable both of you to have the marriage you truly desire.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:14 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
Hey Guy's

Im 25 years old and my Wife is 24 and just got college degree, I just work a manuel labor job for $10 an hour and the other night we had an argument and she said pretty much I was a low life with a crappy job. Now I dont have a degree like her but always want to go to school and get one.

We have been married for over 2 years and have been into too many fights to count. I love my wife but I have noticed since ive been married I have went from 200 LBS to 280 Lbs in over a 3 year span. No, I dont blame her but I dont feel very Unmotivated to exercise or eat right and im just wondering does marriage do that to everyone? or some people? We dont have any children which at the moment I think is a good thing due to our constant fights. I do love her. But I just feel miserable and Unhappy at times and so does she at times as well. I just want to here from you guys and let me know what you think please.
You gotta becareful with upwardly mobile women, these type of women upgrade men faster than upgrading to the latest iphone. Dont have kids with her until things improve for you aswell as her and if you do plus with that crappy salary, she eill leave you and find someone else and put you in child support. Not only that but she also just got a college degree which was most likely paid via loans and expects you to help with payments. best of luck bro.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:58 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
I've always made more money than my boyfriends by a wide margin. One was barely making minimum wage. I have NEVER held that against them. Ask her why she's with you if you're such a low-life.

Moreover, your wife may have a degree, but I'm willing to bet she doesn't have a job that pays all THAT much given that my first job with a degree was laughably low-paying. Add in your 80-lb weight gain, and I'd say you have some red flags there.

If you can afford it, marriage counseling needs to happen, or you just need to leave.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:48 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
All marriage is difficult.

I was married to an electrician with a high school diploma, I've got degrees and certificates because I love school and learning.
He was my equal.
He was not a low life.
The main reason we divorced was that he didn't mind being in debt and I simply can't be in debt.
It makes me bonkers.

We're still friends and have been divorced for 30 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
You gotta becareful with upwardly mobile women, these type of women upgrade men faster than upgrading to the latest iphone. Dont have kids with her until things improve for you aswell as her and if you do plus with that crappy salary, she eill leave you and find someone else and put you in child support. Not only that but she also just got a college degree which was most likely paid via loans and expects you to help with payments. best of luck bro.
What a load of garbage.

Op, don't listen to sour grapes.
I guess some guys whine if women want to do better with their lives, or if they want them to remain the same, or if they're downwardly mobile. Some guys just don't like women and paint them all with a wide and negative brush.

All women, like all men, are different.

Last edited by chielgirl; 06-25-2012 at 06:56 AM..

Old 06-25-2012, 07:05 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
You were 23 when you got married, and I'm assuming you weren't in college then. Entirely her bad. If you're not happy with something as big as this about your fiance, you don't marry them. You discuss it.

That being said, do what you think will be better for all involved (You are extremely fortunate that this doesn't include kids YET, because that's when the question gets more difficult). You say you want to go to school. If that's true, by all means start something up! Whatever you change, though, make sure it's really what you want, because you're only prolonging the inevitable if you start changing too much just to make her happy.

Last edited by Vic 2.0; 06-25-2012 at 07:29 AM..

Old 06-25-2012, 07:24 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
I'm a little confused but what's new? Anyhow, I define "Low Life" as a bum, someone who doesn't work or who deal drugs and drinks excessively. It sounds to me like you guys need serious marriage counseling or you need to find someone else. Hell, judging by her additude, she's probably already looking for someone else.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 AM

426 posts, read 558,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
Hey Guy's

Sounds like my first marriage... wife got her degree and i didnt have mine much less any education past high school. She took a job out in Denver and i went with her only to be left so she could party with her friends that were all professional. After our divorce i met a woman who believed in me and who had a plan that included me going to college. Well at 26 i walked in and took the SAT .... the rest is history. I live a good life with a good job and a have a great family. My wife and her mama saw what i couldnt see in myself- i thank the lord every day for my first wife leaving me high and dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships