Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 06:46 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,949,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No one is forcing you to buy dinner for women. That is your choice. Women are happy with a walk in the park, literally, or a coffee date, or a museum date. Just because you paid for something (and why should you pay on the first couple of dates, anyway? Many women prefer to pay their own way at first), doesn't entitle you to a piece of your date's body, whether it's a lip, a boob, or more. The purpose of the date (assuming you're strangers, or near-strangers) is to see if there's any common ground there at all upon which to base a 2nd date. The purpose of the 2nd date is to explore further to see if there's enough common ground for a possible exclusive relationship of some nature. If you want to buy your goodies, you know where to go for that, it's easy enough.
You missed my point. I don't ask strange women out. I have to know them first. I'm not interested in being your "fun" for the night. Save that for some other poor sucker. I have to like you before I would even ask. I won't ask women who date around for fun. It's clearly not my bag and I would rather just stay home by myself than fuel some gals fire who likes to play games and numbers. No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
You probably were short on coins or shake the machine next time and see if sex falls out then. Should work.

No, I just keep on driving. Choke on that black diesel smoke girls!

Old 07-12-2012, 06:56 PM

And...if you don't get the joke, that means you floored it. Follow one sometime. See what happens when he hammers it after it's loaded up from stoplights and heavy traffic.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Some get what I'm saying, some dont. This isn't about SEX! It's about dating.

BTW I used "sex and the city" as an example of what I consider "American Dating" nothing more.

Over here, if a guy asks you out on a date, it's significant. In America, it is not, and quite common for people to date several people all at once, having sex with none of them.

In Aus, we are more casual, someone pointed out we are more likely to know and like each other first, because we tend to hang out in groups not couples.

Take a date with a guy from work - you two may know each other quite well, have worked together for a long time...if he asks you to dinner or coffee, it means he wants to move it past work colleagues...he wants you. IF YOU ACCEPT, IT MEANS YOU WANT HIM TOO.

Otherwise, you stay hanging in a group, or if you do become friends (I have several male friends) you pay for your own coffee.

Dating is only for when someone is seriously interested in a relationship with you. In America, it is much more likely to be "friendly" before it becomes romantic. In Australia, IF YOU ACCEPT, it means that someone's going to get lucky, real soon.

In America, it is socially acceptable to "date" several people at once. In Australia, IT IS NOT. Dating implies exclusivity here. If you aren't interested in exclusivity, you say "no"...or you go as "friends" and pay your own way.

For example, one of my male friends may say "lets go and see X movie". I would say "yes" and pay my own way. This would not be considered a DATE.

If one of my male friends said "I would like to take you out" it is a whole different ball game. I would expect to be taken out, wined, dined, and I would expect to be the only woman he is taking out, further, I would expect to be starting aan exclusive romantic relationship with him. If I didn't want a romantic relationship with him, I would say NO.

Those who insist its not the same in either country...go and check out the other threads. They are FULL of American people saying "what does this mean?".

In Australia, we know what it means.
I've done that for years MsAnn. I've also avoided women who like to date around and aren't serious for anything or anyone. I'm not interested in taking you out to get nothing while some other guy for whatever reason does. To hell with that. She can keep playing that game. Guys like me won't even bother. If I ask you out, you are the only one. If it works out, great...if not oh well, onto the next one. This new "casual dating" thing in the States is for the birds. That's how people who don't know what they want "have a good time". I'm not interested in being some gals good time. I'm only on a date with her in the first place because I thought she was pretty and seemed to share some things what I was looking for. Any fool can get a yes to just go out to have fun. Try it again with one who you actually might stand a chance to have a realtionship with. It's not so easy then.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:05 PM

141 posts, read 321,476 times
Girls, please don't go down the path of 'traditional' Australian dating! It's absolutely abysmal here. It's like the women have to be 'one of the boys' here, to be accepted into the male circle of friends first, before they become 'mates' and then 'best mates' - there's just no romance involved at all. This is what we've had to put up with here: Women

Count your blessings, girls!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:14 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
GAH! Thanks for the warning! Mateship we call here "the old boys' network".
Keg culture--I wouldn't do well there.
So. If you take flowers to your mom or your woman, you're a "poof". Here's to poofs, then!

I like the idea of hanging out in groups, and getting to know people through the group. But not so much if it involves alcohol. But...that's just me.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:16 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfrapp View Post
Girls, please don't go down the path of 'traditional' Australian dating! It's absolutely abysmal here. It's like the women have to be 'one of the boys' here, to be accepted into the male circle of friends first, before they become 'mates' and then 'best mates' - there's just no romance involved at all. This is what we've had to put up with here: Women

I hear mainly negative things about American women on the internet, I wonder what the reality is?

Even back in WWII the G.I's were popular because they 'knew how to treat a lady' unlike those boorish Aussie blokes. I wonder if the opposite is true, if American women are much more romantic?

I have a friend who is in the Army, ironically, who went over to the States for some training and brought home an American sheila.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:19 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Actually, when I was reading the article goldfrapp put up, I was wondering if you were one of the rare exceptions, Tri.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:49 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfrapp View Post

Aussie guys getting a bad rap.
I've dated guys who have been very romantic.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:53 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
What is American style dating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships