Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 12:04 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times

Advertisements

I mean the first kiss, dating, your first time etc. I say this behave a lot of the people that I know and I've heard from both on and offline That struggle dating or still don't know to communicate with the opposite sex cite that one of the reasons is They had little to no Type of sexual experience at those key transition points that everyone seems to go through. When they're friends were dating, having sex, forming relationships, they werent, so they never got a chance to not only experience certain things, and a chance to hone their skills and get better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 12:07 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
there is always a time for your first anything. i dont really buy into the thinking that "i missed out on it when i was young so i have trouble now" its no harder now then it was then, its just a new experience that you are unfamiliar with.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:10 AM

1,171 posts, read 1,949,236 times
Not that important IMO. Many "experts" are hubby number 5 or wife number 5 now. I'm on ")0("

Old 07-14-2012, 12:11 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I do believe not having the 'typical' youth experiences does affect me now as an adult. I didn't go on my first date until I was a Freshman in college, and along with that I didn't have my first kiss, didn't go to any school dances (prom etc.) and I do really feel that I missed out on a lot of things that my friends were able to experience early on in life. My friends all dated, but I was the awkward, lanky super tall girl with frizzy hair and braces who was really into FFA...not exactly a recipe for getting asked out a lot

When I was going out on my first date, most of my friends had already been in one or more long term relationships, some were married and had a kid! And here I was, just having my first kiss. It really cements in the feeling of being unattractive and unwanted which is very hard to shake as one gets older. I mean, dating in High School was a given! I was so excited to start HS because I thought 'hey! Now is the time where I get to date and hang out with guys!'. Nope. All I got was bullied to the point of dropping out of school and finishing up at continuation.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I do believe not having the 'typical' youth experiences does affect me now as an adult. I didn't go on my first date until I was a Freshman in college, and along with that I didn't have my first kiss, didn't go to any school dances (prom etc.) and I do really feel that I missed out on a lot of things that my friends were able to experience early on in life. My friends all dated, but I was the awkward, lanky super tall girl with frizzy hair and braces who was really into FFA...not exactly a recipe for getting asked out a lot

When I was going out on my first date, most of my friends had already been in one or more long term relationships, some were married and had a kid! And here I was, just having my first kiss. It really cements in the feeling of being unattractive and unwanted which is very hard to shake as one gets older. I mean, dating in High School was a given! I was so excited to start HS because I thought 'hey! Now is the time where I get to date and hang out with guys!'. Nope. All I got was bullied to the point of dropping out of school and finishing up at continuation.
Sheesh, my first GF was from 4th grade to 6th. It all started from there.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:19 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,928 times
Directed towards the OP..
I do not think this is accurate. I did not like boys “that way” until I was 15. I was sheltered true, I did not have my first real kiss till I was almost 16. I played with my barbies until I was 14.lol..along with my twin sister of course.
True there were some fast girls that useto talk about stuff in school but I was such a tomboy that I thought it was yucky..
I did not have sex until I was almost 18 and even by then? I was already an aunt, my twin beat me to the punch and I did not think it was a big deal and it did not affect me.
When I get together with my girls ( I have several girlfriends since I was 13) we compare war stories and I found that I was not missing much..lol…

Old 07-14-2012, 12:23 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOne View Post
Sheesh, my first GF was from 4th grade to 6th. It all started from there.
My first BF was at age 18 until 20... I feel really left out, haha. Interestingly enough, I met up with him a few months ago and he spent the night hitting on my sister.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:32 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
Dont get me wrong, im not saying that if you don't do certain things by a set age you should give up. What im saying is 2 things

1. A lot of people regret being left out during their HS/College years. Even to the point that if it they get very successful dating wise after, it still bothers them. I see this alot in men
2. You wouldn't struggle as much if you had different experiences so you can learn things. They say practice makes perfect, And Over time you get better. I see a lot of men/women on this board and in real life taking about and struggling with things that should have been figured out in Middle/High school. "How do I ask a girl out, how do I know if he/She likes me?, what to do on the first date?"

I mean come the f*** on now. A lot of people wouldn't have these problems if they were for lack of a better word, "in the game" when everyone else was. You have scenarios with 28 year old men that have the relationship/sexual experience of a 13 year old boy

Old 07-14-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My first BF was at age 18 until 20... I feel really left out, haha. Interestingly enough, I met up with him a few months ago and he spent the night hitting on my sister.
That's just wrong. Yeah I know, I snagged a half baked model when I was 22. Models don't stay with guys like me. Almost got engaged. I'm glad I did't!

Old 07-14-2012, 12:39 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,928 times
Lol..@ “come **** on”
Learn what? Social cues from a raging hormone ridden 14 year old is really going to determine my success or failure in the later years?
I would rather have a huge monumental moment at 18 then at 14 when nobody knows what the hell they are doing but still mimicking the grown up thing to do..Really?
College years? Drunken memories of where you left your panties, or who that guy was that you made out with is when you were three sheets to the wind? Those are not really “teachable moments”
I feel that late bloomers come into their own eventually and if their those that complain about not having to much experience as the sole basis of why they are unsuccessful now? Is all excuses pure and simple and there is something else going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships