Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:29 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'll have to go digging for the article, but I read that in the vast majority of cases where men requested custody, it was granted.(it was something like, 80%)

Most men simply don't want custody of their children and would prefer to just have the mother take care of them full time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
No, from what I've seen, it seems the new trend is shared custody with both parents participating 50%.
Please dig up the information you have on this if you can.

I'd be surprised if they weren't talking about "joint custody", which can include the typical "every other weekend" scenario. I've seen this laughable definition of "joint" used in legal documents. One parent having 4 days per month is not joint in my opinion.

Last edited by Freedom123; 08-03-2012 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 02:42 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A friend just married a man who has a 50/50 custody arrangement with his ex, and they're mandated by the state to live in the same school district. Just from what she says about their arrangements, 50/50 may be fair for the parents, but it's hell on the kids. They live out of suitcases, spending a couple of nights with dad, then a couple with mom--the parents' whole non-work schedule is centered around picking them up and dropping them off. Throw in school and sports and other activities, and I feel bad for the little dudes.
Here's a solution for this concern about 50/50 custody: Let the kids spend two weeks with one parent, and two weeks with the other.

- Every other weekend = 4 moves per month
(More "suitcase effect", since 2 moves/month are 2 days apart)

- 50/50 custody every 2 weeks = 2 moves per month
(More stable, no moves are less than 14 days apart)

This gives both parents 50% time with the children and lessens the "living out of suitcases" effect, compared to the status quo "every other weekend" scenario.

Of course they'd have to live in the same school district, but they SHOULD be near their kids. If a parent wants to move away from where the kids are comfortable, they should give up custody to the parent who will keep them in that environment.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:49 PM

782 posts, read 1,356,886 times
I'm a single father since my wife left almost 2 yrs ago. The day after our son turned 15, she left.
I have always worked fulltime job, make house payments, own my own vehicle, spend my time from work with my son or working around the house or taking him to a church he and I started going to. We both are enjoy hunting, fishing or spending time in the woods. I try to guide him with values, encourage good friend choices and emphasize importance of a good education. I'm not perfect but I give it my best.
I dont think single fathers like me stick out because you dont go around with a sign on adversing; you just do what's got to be done.
I applaud any single parent: mother or father who is doing the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships