Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 08:39 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,162,909 times

Advertisements

I'm not even going to write what I'm thinking .... LMAO

Old 08-04-2012, 08:41 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,672,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I thought I was a 6/7 at one point, but I was told VERY bluntly by some old coworkers that I'm firmly a 4. They actually had a debate over it right in front of me.

So, my league is slightly below average. If you want to know, ask some guys what they think, especially if they've known you a long time and have some booze in them. They'll tell you the truth, but you may not like it.
This made me laugh so hard I almost choked on my drink.

That happened to me once, at the time I didn't laugh, now I can laugh, not at you, but the circumstance.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:43 PM

52,309 posts, read 52,777,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yeah, it's not a good feeling. Especially when they're using other female coworkers as examples of why I'm not attractive.

'Oh, but Sarah has such a nice butt, she's obviously an 8. You, on the other hand, don't. You're a 3"

"Angie has great boobs, not too big, not too small, yours are too big, she's a 7 you're a 4"

Etc etc.

It wasn't a great day, let's just say that.
JJ... I've been here a long time... I'm a good bit older then you... and while I don't think your lying per se... some of the things you say... they go just go against good normal common sense...

I have never met men in any part of my life that would be so caulous as to discuss this sorta thing right in front of you.... you have a million stories like this too.....

Seems really odd..

What kind of crowds do you hang with???

I've got 14 yrs or so on ya.........I'm no school boy... I've been in varying crowds... professional engineers to dirt bag crack heads........

Old 08-04-2012, 08:49 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
It's for real, Chow. She lives in a very conservative rural backwater, plus she's the only woman in a traditionally all-male profession. It's not unusual for men in a male profession (think construction work, electricians, engineering) to harass women on the job who they feel are invading their turf. That's what non-harassment laws were designed for. Men can be sleazy and brutal when defending their turf. I'm sure they regard J as an interloper. Plus her somewhat excessive "curves" on top don''t help the situation in an office full of sophomoric guys. She has no chance of trying to be "one of the guys" with her figure.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the kiss of death: she's smarter than some of her colleagues. She's a better problem-solver on the job, so they resent her and probably feel threatened by her brain power. People can be really petty.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:57 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,651,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
JJ... I've been here a long time... I'm a good bit older then you... and while I don't think your lying per se... some of the things you say... they go just go against good normal common sense...

I have never met men in any part of my life that would be so caulous as to discuss this sorta thing right in front of you.... you have a million stories like this too.....

Seems really odd..

What kind of crowds do you hang with???

I've got 14 yrs or so on ya.........I'm no school boy... I've been in varying crowds... professional engineers to dirt bag crack heads........

Like Ruth said, I work in a fairly conservative small town and in VERY male dominated professions. This very common and one of my best friends is a woman I met in my late teens that worked with me in a shop and she experienced the exact same stuff. I'm lucky to have her to talk to because we're both trying to work through our distrust of men. I've worked in 4 shops (plus a big box hardware store) and the men have all been the same. Super sweet until they get used to me being there, then they 'forget' I'm a woman and out comes their true nature. I'm not the only woman who has experienced this.

Maybe it's just the area I live in...but even when I was up in Sac doing a pre req class, 2 of the guys at the table next to me were discussing and rating all the women in the class. Considering there were only 6 of us out of 36 I thought it was fairly inappropriate. So, maybe it's just my industry.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:58 PM

52,309 posts, read 52,777,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's for real, Chow. She lives in a very conservative rural backwater, plus she's the only woman in a traditionally all-male profession. It's not unusual for men in a male profession (think construction work, electricians, engineering) to harass women on the job who they feel are invading their turf. That's what non-harassment laws were designed for. Men can be sleazy and brutal when defending their turf. I'm sure they regard J as an interloper. Plus her somewhat excessive "curves" on top don''t help the situation in an office full of sophomoric guys. She has no chance of trying to be "one of the guys" with her figure.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the kiss of death: she's smarter than some of her colleagues. She's a better problem-solver on the job, so they resent her and probably feel threatened by her brain power. People can be really petty.
I hear ya... I work partially on construction sites, with engineers, electricians and I myself, am a field engineer..... hence why I ask the question.

I have never ever ever seen anything like what she says... and I've been in my field for 20 yrs..... I just find it odd that a woman who has been in her industry for maybe 6 to 8 yrs has seen so much discrimantion... in life as well as her job......I feel bad if she has really dealt with those issues... truly...

Not saying... just saying......

Old 08-04-2012, 09:00 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,208,750 times
They know like you know a good melon.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:24 PM

144 posts, read 201,291 times
How does a woman know what league she is in??

I can only speak for myself but I can proudly and confidently say:

I am on a league of my own. Oh yeah.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:28 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,192,291 times
They didn't tell you when you signed up?

Old 08-04-2012, 09:33 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,615,155 times
Patrick Swayze knew what league he was in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.