Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 11:47 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

So full disclosure. I am totally a geek. And I finally realized, I really should try dating other nerds. It just makes way more sense. I like tech, I like gadgets. I like those types of hobbies where you need to obsessively research stuff to stay on top of things. For your reference, I am a preppy black woman.

I seem to attract some "alphas," "protectors," the funny guy, or most oddly slacker-pot smoker types (why?!?!).

Here's the problem. I can always seem to strike up a great conversation with a fellow nerd, but the nerds can never seem to seal the deal, even when I am blatantly flirting.

I was chatting with a friend about this (she is celebrating her 3 year wedding anniversary with a fellow nerd) and the biggest problem is you need to give nerd more time to get comfortable. They aren't players so they aren't going to make obvious moves immediately.

By the time that happens, you probably have moved on to someone else or forgotten about them.

And I am not a an alpha type. I might initiate a conversation, but I am not the aggressor.

So I think I might have to change my tactic with the nerds, and just ask them out.

So nerdy guys out there, what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 11:54 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,118 times
I think there is no harm in asking someone out.
If you have to start things off, so be it.
Just be sure they aren't taking advantage of the situation and being lazy. You will probably have to communicate your needs a little more than with other types. That way, they know what you are expecting, and if they fall short, they can't pull the passive, "I don't know what I'm doing BS."

edit: haha, After my post, I realized your question was directed towards "nerds". hahahaha

Old 08-13-2012, 11:57 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So full disclosure. I am totally a geek. And I finally realized, I really should try dating other nerds. It just makes way more sense. I like tech, I like gadgets. I like those types of hobbies where you need to obsessively research stuff to stay on top of things. For your reference, I am a preppy black woman.

I seem to attract some "alphas," "protectors," the funny guy, or most oddly slacker-pot smoker types (why?!?!).

Here's the problem. I can always seem to strike up a great conversation with a fellow nerd, but the nerds can never seem to seal the deal, even when I am blatantly flirting.

I was chatting with a friend about this (she is celebrating her 3 year wedding anniversary with a fellow nerd) and the biggest problem is you need to give nerd more time to get comfortable. They aren't players so they aren't going to make obvious moves immediately.

By the time that happens, you probably have moved on to someone else or forgotten about them.

And I am not a an alpha type. I might initiate a conversation, but I am not the aggressor.

So I think I might have to change my tactic with the nerds, and just ask them out.

So nerdy guys out there, what do you think?
I don't know that I'm a nerd, but as someone who grew up surrounded by them and who has some nerdy characteristics, I would encourage you to ask away! I think the guys would love to be asked out by you.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:00 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
You'll have more success if you ask them out, but don't be surprised if it flies over their head.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
You'll have more success if you ask them out, but don't be surprised if it flies over their head.
I swear, sometimes I wonder how obvious I need to be. Basic flirting is not enough. But for other types smiling is seen as a come on.

With nerds, you can touch their arm, tell them all about places you'd love to check out and it isn't enough!

Old 08-13-2012, 12:11 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Just show up dressed as princess leah , they will get the point

Old 08-13-2012, 12:12 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times
Nerds look asexual to me

Old 08-13-2012, 12:15 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
Depends on the nerd. I'm a typical nerd - work in IT, love my gadgets and video games. Had no problems getting a girl and getting married. Then again, I don't live my life one game at a time either!

Old 08-13-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Nerds look asexual to me
Haha! We have some cute nerds in the Bay. And the Steve Urkel ones too. Sometimes they blend in with the hipsters.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:20 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I swear, sometimes I wonder how obvious I need to be. Basic flirting is not enough. But for other types smiling is seen as a come on.

With nerds, you can touch their arm, tell them all about places you'd love to check out and it isn't enough!
What might happen is they realize it long after you're gone and now think they blew it. They'd be too embarrassed to do anything the next time. Others, it will just fly over their heads because their thinking would be, "why would anyone be interested in me?" You'll just have to do the asking and some will think it's a trick question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships