Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 06:31 PM

233 posts, read 445,261 times

Advertisements

I think people tend to judge those of their own gender more harshly. For example, I could see a moderately attractive man out and about, and then see his girlfriend/wife next to him and think "He's with her? She got lucky.". I think a lot of women do this, consciously or not. When I see a complete knockout women with just an average guy, I never think that.

I wonder if men do this too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Women wear corsets?

In 2012?

Are you sure about that?
NOt corsets I ment a Rollon to push around the fat.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:49 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
As a woman who has almost exclusively dated men who made far less than her, it has less to do with the woman wanting to 'date up' or date a wealthy man, and far more to do with the fact that men think it's a blow to their masculinity if their 'woman' makes more than they do.
These days, with so many men unemployed or underemployed, it's becoming more common for the woman to make more. I know couples who have been together 10 years or more. The wife in these couples is always the brainy one: banker, director of non-profit w/an M.A., high-powered real estate agent. They guys in all instances work in construction or are handymen, and aren't very bright. But their wives don't seem to see that, or don't mind. All these couples are very happy, money isn't an issue.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:49 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
I dated a guy whose tall dark and handsome good looks faded before me the more I learned what a loser he was.

On the other hand, I have been attracted to less-than-than-perfect looking men who had infectious senses of humor and were successful in life and career. These things can be "attractive", especially in later years when looking for "cute" is no longer the be all end all. Unfortunately, most of those are happily married as well!

Old 08-29-2012, 06:50 PM

I would also like to add some regional differences. Up here in NYC I know some women who moved here from the deep south. These women are cute next door type of bang able women and I know a couple who are like trailer trash type but not like really. They dont date cute attractive guys, one dates a short chubby guy and another one dates a chubby tall guy. I have discussed dating in the big city and these women told me that they have notice women here in NYC tend to go for physically attractive guys, also they also observed how men here hit on almost anything.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:53 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Hung up with what?
His looks. He would look in the mirror and tell me that I should tell my friends that they should be jealous because I have him and they don't.

Can we all just get for real here? I can't be with someone like that.

Last edited by Pikantari; 08-29-2012 at 08:28 PM..

Old 08-29-2012, 08:00 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Women are full of it.

In terms of what's important to most women, it goes:

1. Looks
2. Social status/personality
3. Financial status

The only difference is that personality is very close behind looks for women whereas for men it's looks with personality very far down the latter.
Agreed. Looks are just as important for women as they are for men. Have you heard how girlfriends dissect men?

Women are so hard on themselves in terms of judging on looks these days, so some of that transfers towards men.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boolouwho View Post
I think people tend to judge those of their own gender more harshly. For example, I could see a moderately attractive man out and about, and then see his girlfriend/wife next to him and think "He's with her? She got lucky.". I think a lot of women do this, consciously or not. When I see a complete knockout women with just an average guy, I never think that.

I wonder if men do this too.
Oh yeah, I think 'that lucky bastard', but it's not jealousy for more like, 'good on ya mate,' lol.

Funnily enough I seem to NOTICE average girls with good looking guys more often...

Old 08-29-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Oh yeah, I think 'that lucky bastard', but it's not jealousy for more like, 'good on ya mate,' lol.

Funnily enough I seem to NOTICE average girls with good looking guys more often...
Ive seen alot of.thst as of recently. Plent of average to below average women with above average guys in looks.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Ive seen alot of.thst as of recently. Plent of average to below average women with above average guys in looks.
Yes, it's totally common for a guy to overlook looks in favour of other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships