Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 09:07 AM

203 posts, read 511,747 times

Advertisements

Every human I've ever dealt with has one thing on their mind. What can THEY get from me, their job, etc. How can they get the best house, the best of everything.
My pets GIVE me their best without judgment, true love and honesty. I trust animals more than people. Color me jaded and bitter but I'd rather come home to my furbabies unconditional love than a man who wants me to cook his dinner and do his laundry while he sits and watches Homer Simpson with a BudLight. Been there. I'll take my pets any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 10:12 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,782 times
sounds like his dog is a surrogate kid, and he should make the real thing with his wife.

My dog is the same way in our family, but I want some real kids in the future. I know I have a biological need to love and take care of something small and innocent. I'm a guy and I'm aware of it.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:42 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I find that interesting because you likely do more for humans on a daily basis than anyone in this thread.
I meet more worthless people on a daily basis than anyone on this thread.

I believe in the human race.
I love people. I have met some truly extraordinary people.
But to say all people (or even most people) are deserving of being held in some superior light...no. No way.
I have always wanted to (since being a teeny kid) help others. People, animals, etc.

The point of this thread, however, is loving or caring about your pet (ie, member of your family) more than some person (who is not a member of your family).
When you look at it that way, why wouldn't you always pick the member of your family?

I am not saying I would choose to save the life of a dog over the life of a human being. I am saying I would choose to save the life of MY dog over the life of another human being that wasn't my immediate family.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:48 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I meet more worthless people on a daily basis than anyone on this thread.

I believe in the human race.
I love people. I have met some truly extraordinary people.
But to say all people (or even most people) are deserving of being held in some superior light...no. No way.
I have always wanted to (since being a teeny kid) help others. People, animals, etc.

The point of this thread, however, is loving or caring about your pet (ie, member of your family) more than some person (who is not a member of your family).
When you look at it that way, why wouldn't you always pick the member of your family?

I am not saying I would choose to save the life of a dog over the life of a human being. I am saying I would choose to save the life of MY dog over the life of another human being that wasn't my immediate family.
I could not agree more. Excellent post.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:26 AM

638 posts, read 993,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBodyUK View Post
There's a manager in my office who's married with no kids. There's photos all over him and his wife with his dog. The thing is, these are the same kind of photos somebody would take with their child e.g. dog in the middle sitting on grass, him on one side, his wife on the other. I find it a bit strange. There's a few pics of the dog on its own.

I've also heard a few people talk about their "kids" - and they're referring to dogs!

What do you guys think? I've always placed humans above animals...
Not strange at all. We call ours "furkids" and they are definitely part of our family.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:38 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
My friend's dog got out of the house last night - a moment's inattention and she just slipped out the door when my friend wasn't looking and then wandered away before my friend realized she was gone. The dog has been missing for about 18 hours now, and my friend is absolutely distraught.

The dog in question is an amazing animal - athletic (she competes in all kinds of dog sports), friendly and affectionate, highly intelligent and responsive, eager to please, obedient and well-behaved. My friend works from home, so like me she spends much of her day with her animals. She works with her dog on a daily basis in terms of training and exercising her.

Should the dog not return... well, I don't want to allow for that possibility. But how could you NOT be completely devastated. We're not talking about a piece of furniture getting stolen. We're talking about a living and breathing animal that works closely with my friend, as if they were partners, adores her, relies on her and gives everything she has when my friend asks her to do any task. The dog was a wonderful puppy to begin with, but she is also a project of 4 years of intense training and care. Definitely not human, but somewhere in that grey area that is much closer to human than say a couch. Add in the fact that your relationship with your dog is intensely personal and private - NO ONE else will have a remotely similar relationship with your dog to what you have with your dog - and its intensity can easily rival that of some human relationships.

I'm not saying animals are equal to people or anything like that. But on a personal level, your relationship with your dog can be a very simple thing, with very basic emotions involved, or it can be something far more, depending on how much of yourself you have invested into this animal. I compare my feelings for my dogs less to my relationships to people and more to how I feel about my own limbs.

Once, when there was a chance I would have to give up a dog I had raised from a pup, a therapist suggested to me that maybe I should embrace the chance to experience life without a dog. I had basically been surrounded by dogs since birth. "Maybe you're not really a dog person. How would you even know if you weren't?" the shrink said to me.

I remember mentioning that to my best friend, who also grew up with a lot of animals in her household. She just snorted, and said "Yeah, you might not be a dog person. Maybe you're not an arm person either. Or a leg person. Heck, maybe you should try life without your spleen - you technically don't need that to survive either."

Old 09-05-2012, 10:12 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Why would someone say you needed to experience life without a dog?^^^^^^^ That just sounds nuts. I am not quite a dog person but I have had a few dogs of my own. I am more of a cat person. My cat has just gotten off my lap here a few minutes ago.

I had not had a cat for the last few years of my life, and while I had my family and friends, etc, something was def. missing. I went to Petsmart one day and I saw what was missing. That was back in April. A few days later my bf texted me, "We're getting that cat, aren't we?" I texted him back....yes we are.

It's just the 2 of us here and the cat, who is 7 years old and the three of us seem to have made a little family. The cat is part of our family. There. I said it.

I truly don't know what the big deal is for people to love their pets. For the people who think it's strange...why? And who even cares? I see a special person when I see someone who loves their pet.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:17 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,974 times
Quote:
I truly don't know what the big deal is for people to love their pets. For the people who think it's strange...why? And who even cares?
I agree totally. Because a person adores their pet doesn't mean they can love other people less. Or maybe they've been hurt or burned by people in life and they prefer dogs to humans. So be it. It's not my business or anyone elses and it's a grand mystery why anyone would care. Live and let live.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I agree totally. Because a person adores their pet doesn't mean they can love other people less. Or maybe they've been hurt or burned by people in life and they prefer dogs to humans. So be it. It's not my business or anyone elses and it's a grand mystery why anyone would care. Live and let live.
Well darn, I can't rep you!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:40 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Exactly. I love steak and I love hamburgers. But my love for steak has nothing to do with hamburgers and now I am hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships