Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:01 PM

331 posts, read 735,020 times

Advertisements

There's a manager in my office who's married with no kids. There's photos all over him and his wife with his dog. The thing is, these are the same kind of photos somebody would take with their child e.g. dog in the middle sitting on grass, him on one side, his wife on the other. I find it a bit strange. There's a few pics of the dog on its own.

I've also heard a few people talk about their "kids" - and they're referring to dogs!

What do you guys think? I've always placed humans above animals...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 01:02 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,895 times
In a word , no.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:08 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Dunno if I'd refer to any pet of mine as "kids" but I don't think it's that weird. Animals are awesome.

And there are plenty of humans I wouldn't place above bacteria, let alone animals.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:16 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Any man woman or child who loves their pet more than a human being is disloyal to their own species...I spoke to a young girl who loved her horse...I asked her if it came down to her grandparents (who took care of her) being pushed off a cliff or her horse she said "my grandparents" _ This is an idiot...as is a person who says their dog has "unconditional love" and is more loyal than any human is a fool...dogs have un-conditional hunger and a conditioned additive need to be petted..

Older and younger woman who are embittered with men who have pets who they hold on high as being relevant and important...more so than males are also twits...It is utterly selfish to pressure a dumb creature into being your whole and sole emotional world..

Good example...I had a friend who treated his Terrier like it was the only love in his life..He used to get mad at me when I would say "It's only a dog"..He would literally go nuts...He love his dog---Most of all HE EXPECTED THE DOG TO CONSTANTLY LOVE HIM...He left the country for 9 months and left the dog with me- I treated it well and the mutt thrived...Finally he returned and within days I saw the dog change- It literally shrunk in stature and spirit...This guy literally sucked the life out of the poor thing...A dog wants to be a dog- It does not need the pressure of trying to be human- Love your animal but don;t act like it owes you the same...The dog owes you nothing...

Getting down to the crunch- If I had to toss a hundred dogs into the ocean to save one child- I would toss the dogs..because I have principles and a human being comes first- We live in a nation where more is spent on pet products and food than on children...This is obscene.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:18 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,151,776 times
My neighbor is like this. Then again, she has no children. I don't think pets are good substitutes because you couldn't talk to them or feed them the way you can with humans.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:20 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Animals are cool. Animals are great. Love our cat. My daughter loves her rabbit.

But put them on the same plane as people? No freaking way. If my wife suddenly developed a violent allergy to cats, then our cat would just have to be sent to someone else's home. If a friend or relative came to visit who had a violent allergy to cats, then the cat would be shunted off to the vet for a few days.

Another thing. Pets are not human beings. They don't think on our level, they don't feel on our level. To be sure, they do feel. But it's pretty easy to be in a relationship with a pet because they pretty much have to do what you want them to do. They don't demand squat from you. They don't argue with you. They essentially need you to pour kibble in their bowls, pet them, and take them outside for their walks. So when someone gives me the pious baloney that they prefer the company of their dogs or their cats to that of people, what they're really telling me is that they've never mastered the art of getting along with people. Because while pets are undemanding, people can be.

My wife's grandmother was a dog person. Doted on her dogs. Never paid much attention to her grandchildren when they came to visit. I never saw that woman without a dog in her lap. So when we had our own children, she would ignore them, too. Every family dinner, every visit, she was fussing with the damned dog, never being able to focus on the conversation. Kind of showed my wife and my children where they rated in her universe. So when she passed away last summer, it was just a gigantic shrug of the shoulders for the family.

Last edited by cpg35223; 08-31-2012 at 01:31 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 01:21 PM

837 posts, read 1,287,452 times
Not strange at all. It's perfectly understandable to be honest.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:21 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,358 times
I have two cocker spaniels I refer to as my furkids or "the boys" all the time. We chose not to have human kids so they are my babies. I have a picture of them as my screen saver and one on my shelf-that cracks me up whenever I look at it. I don't do "family" photos, however, but I do have a couple of the three of us.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:26 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
I don't know. My best friend is like that with her dog. She has a little carrier for her like a baby bjorn. I treated my dog like my child before I had my son. I still call her my baby - but it is different. However, if I never had a child - there wouldn't be anything to compare it to. We have tons of pictures of our dog from before we had our baby. We still take pictures of her - just not as many as before. And she still sleeps in our bed with us at night. I still love my little doggy - but it isn't the same as the way I love my son.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:28 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
My neighbor is like this. Then again, she has no children. I don't think pets are good substitutes because you couldn't talk to them or feed them the way you can with humans.
There are two old dogs in my household...I don't have much of a love life these days...I am kind to the old mutts..but they will never be a substitute for human love..I understand how lonely people are overly connected to their pets....Yes I talk to the dogs and they understand certain things- If I mention a name of their master - my daughter...that she may visit.

.They understand...and when I say "Who wants food?" They understand.....They have more intelligence than most give them credit for...Most of the time the dogs mind their own business...BUT if I go into the other room and play some piano or sing a tune with guitar....The dogs come into the room to listen - they really like live music...They get spell bound...Max the bigger dog who looks like a deer without antlers...well- he is a strange one...On a few occasions I was working on some art...I would lean a painting against the wall...and find Max studying the piece...He likes art...and the other one- the old Beagle...loves live music...I guess I sound like a real cool howling animal and she relates to the smooth music...especially if I stick her name in a song..

As you see - I enjoy my pets more now that I am older because I realize they are thinking beings...limited but still thinking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships