Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:34 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,787 times

Advertisements

I was gaslighted regularly by my mother, brother, SIL and some of my mother's extended family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 09:08 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
I think these articles are trying to gaslight men into assuming it's all our fault.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:39 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabar View Post
everywhere i turn, it seems like the abnormal is normalized, and it's hiding right there in the open where nobody can see it.
Ain't that the truth!!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:23 PM

559 posts, read 1,395,157 times
I didn't know that there was a term for this type of trickery until I read this thread.

I just noticed a post about it on a blog I recently found out about: Gaslighting, a Classic Toxic Manipulation | Light's Blog

It reminds me of when a guy I was seeing told me that he would call me on a certain date at a certain time. That date & time came and went and he didn't call. Eventually he called me and the first thing he said when I answered the phone was "Why ain't choo call me?" I told him that he had said that he would call me, and he insisted that I was the one who said that I would call him. We spoke only maybe 1 or 2 times after that. Hopefully he's no longer gaslighting (or at least hopefully his grammar improved and maybe he's now asking "why didn't you call me", lol).

Old 09-10-2012, 08:33 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
I have extensive experiences of being gaslighted by neighbors who believed something nasty about me. It really opened my eyes to the numbers of truly evil people who will gang up to do something like this. It's a sign of rottenness in a society when this sort of thing becomes common, when subtle psychological cruelty is practiced for a while before law and order breaks down, and mobs with torches and AK-49s take over. It's an omen.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:58 PM

652 posts, read 1,052,992 times
I'm the OP.

I wanted to write a longer initial post but I was interrupted.

I had a situation at work recently where I felt like I was gaslighted. I reported a situation with a difficult individual to my supervisor. I didn't expect anything to come out of it, but her reaction was just really odd, basically to try to project a completely different reality of who this individual is, and in some respects she questioned my perceptions. I ended up wishing I hadn't said anything at all.

I'm not sure if what she was doing was intentional or not, but it brought back some memories of this occurring in my childhood.

When my parents did it, it frequently took the form of either greatly exaggerating certain details, or diminishing them to the point of denial. I often sensed something wasn't quite right, but the lies they told were things that I couldn't prove. My mom went on later to try to rewrite our family history, and she wants me to play along.

I think many of us probably unintentionally do this from time to time, but for me it is the repeated pattern that makes one a gaslighter.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:53 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
gaslighting, most have been through it...

great article, no kudzu, thanks for sharing it

Old 09-12-2012, 11:14 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
can't somebody give good examples of this? never heard of it.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:20 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
can't somebody give good examples of this? never heard of it.
As mentioned upthread, the term comes from the Ingrid Bergman movie Gaslight, where her character's husband tries to make her think she's crazy by telling her that their house's lights flickering (among other things, and that he's actually making happen) are all in her head.

In real life it generally shows up as people dismissing a legitimate concern of yours as nothing to worry about, or saying that you were mistaken about something you know to be true, causing you to trust your own judgement. It's not necessarily because they want make you think you're crazy, but they might not want to deal with your issues or admit that they're wrong.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:25 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
As mentioned upthread, the term comes from the Ingrid Bergman movie Gaslight, where her character's husband tries to make her think she's crazy by telling her that their house's lights flickering (among other things, and that he's actually making happen) are all in her head.

In real life it generally shows up as people dismissing a legitimate concern of yours as nothing to worry about, or saying that you were mistaken about something you know to be true, causing you to trust your own judgement.
oh alright. ty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships