Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 03:05 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times

Advertisements

I just found out that my brother is having marriage issues. My sister in law, who I barely know, called me for advice. Shocked the hell out of me. My brother won't talk to her and is defensive with her, and can't communicate. Sounded all too familiar to me. I ruined my marriage by being similar (but without his temper).
So I gave her all kinds of advice, the main piece being for her to go to counseling, regardless of whether my brother goes with her or not. She'll need it to figure out how to deal with him effectively.

I just hate to see what happened to me happen to someone else. Plus, they have a 3 yr old daughter. My brother has no idea how bad it would be for him if he got divorced with a young daughter. He'll get screwed in court and live in a cardboard box. But that's not really the point. I just don't want them to go through what I went through. I can tell she's considering leaving him. The man is always the last to know, that is, until its too late. And we're nothing alike, but its likely he'll have a lot of regret if he doesn't try to save his marriage, and possibly blame himself like I did and still do.

Anyway, I not only recommended marriage counseling, but also bunch of books on relationships, communication, etc. Told her he is not self aware and its going to take work and a desire on his part to get there. Told her I was speaking from experience. Said she needs therapy with or without him there to help her deal with him. Hope I didn't overwhelm her, but if I can help save a marriage, at least I have some use in this world.

Any thoughts? Did I do the right thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 03:07 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
I think you did the right thing. Sounds like you offered some terrific suggestions to her on how she can try and proceed to save the marriage, without becoming directly involved or getting in the middle of things. She asked you for advice, probably due to your relationship with your brother as well as your past experience, and you gave it. Best of luck to them! I hope they can find a way to open communications!

Old 09-11-2012, 03:10 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
If a marriage can be saved, that's always a good thing! He's your brother so of course you should help them.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:10 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
You did the right thing. To go one step further, without betraying your SIL, I would try to open the lines of communication with your brother and see what he's thinking. When guys get defensive and stop communicating, there's often another woman involved.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:14 PM

My follow up email after she thanked me for the suggestions:

"Hang in there and try to remind yourself that its HIS issues and don't take it personally. He's projecting his own fears and insecurities onto you. He's just not aware of the mistakes he's making and he's stressed about money. Its not excuse, but just remind yourself of that. I'll do whatever I can to help.

Oh, one more thing. Both of you should read Dave Ramsey's book "Total Money Makeover". Getting out of debt and changing your views on money would help both of you and relieve some stress."

Old 09-11-2012, 03:15 PM

I was blind in my own marriage and my dreams of having a family and life partner ended 3 years ago. I've never recovered. I don't want to see my brother (though we're not close) go through the same thing.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:41 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Any thoughts? Did I do the right thing?
You did all that you can do. Just realize that if their marriage fails it's not on you. You can only do so much to help and guide them but they have to be the ones to take action.

I think once one partner considers leaving, it's hard to peddal backwards and make things right. Seems to me the love is gone if it gets to that point. Maybe I'm wrong...but based on what I've seen those that are already at that stage rarely make it work.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:45 PM

26 posts, read 29,635 times
Since marriage counseling is very expensive and often not worth the money, have you thought about being the marriage counselor for them? Often it just helps to sit in front of them and have them talk and only interfer every now and then when they start yelling and offending each other.

I went to marriage counseling and was surprised what my husband said about some things. It can be very eye opening to hear the partner talk about specific topics in front of a 3rd person.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:03 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,605,427 times
sorry to hear about your brothers marriage problems, my sister is going through some of her own and i try to help by being there for her, talking to her often and providing some advice. i would suggest talking to your brother about this, without letting him know your sis in law reached out. he is your blood, close or not.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:04 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by langenudel View Post
Since marriage counseling is very expensive and often not worth the money, have you thought about being the marriage counselor for them? Often it just helps to sit in front of them and have them talk and only interfer every now and then when they start yelling and offending each other.

I went to marriage counseling and was surprised what my husband said about some things. It can be very eye opening to hear the partner talk about specific topics in front of a 3rd person.
OMG, no. BAD suggestion.

The counselor MUST be a neutral party with nothing invested in the outcome.

Marriage counseling is expensive because the people who do it are TRAINED (make sure to vet them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships