Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 12:43 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,908,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Yes, there are twists and turns in life that make for situations that you've described. Unfortunately, most people are obtuse and don't take people's chronologies into consideration. They make snap judgments.

I hear you on the marriage part, but not the children part. I don't have much of a paternal instinct. Studies indicate that married/childless by choice is the happiest of the possible combinations. Just think of all the great traveling you could do.
I suspect that if I marry but don't have kids then years later I might be fine with it. I know plenty of childless couples and they have extra money to spend doing things. One couple just got back from the Rivera. I've always had an issue with pregnancy (not crazy about being pregnant and giving birth)and always considered adopting as an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
????!!!!!
When I told my aunt that she told me I can't afford to be picky. Yeah she is delusional.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:45 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,311,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
Don't take this the wrong, since in my view, you're outside the "norm" by not being married, step outside the "norm" and ask HIM out. Don't do the "normal" thing and wait for him. Society is too hung up on what's "normal"; in getting married, having kids, and women sitting passively around waiting for men to ask them out.
Good point. As a women who steps out of a lot of "norms" its important to expand that across a lot of areas. Cant not believe in marriage or having children and still play the cute innocent girl who expects doors to be held, dinners to be paid, men to approach-do all the courting etc.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Don't take this the wrong, since in my view, you're outside the "norm" by not being married, step outside the "norm" and ask HIM out. Don't do the "normal" thing and wait for him. Society is too hung up on what's "normal"; in getting married, having kids, and women sitting passively around waiting for men to ask them out.
I don't take that wrong at all, and yes I am going to ask him out. I figure if he rejects me at least I know but maybe he will be interested too (he's shy).

Old 09-12-2012, 12:48 PM

102,255 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Quote:
You're assuming women don't do this already. IDDY has posted before that she's been approaching the guy, and plans to ask him out.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:49 PM

I was planning on asking him out last weekend but the bar got busy and so did he. I am planning to go to his store this week and talk one on one.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:55 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,770,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're assuming women don't do this already.
Nope. I'm assuming its the social norm. Which it is.
Quote:
IDDY has posted before that she's been approaching the guy, and plans to ask him out.
Didn't read all her posts, but if so, bravo!

Old 09-12-2012, 12:58 PM

I was going to ask him to come over and "hang out". That way it's not a full blown date but if he's not even interested in that then there is my answer.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 PM

264 posts, read 267,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Obviously a follow up to the other thread...wonder if men have the same assumptions, hesitations, sweeping generalizations as the women seem to have about 40+ year old never married men.

Curious since there seem to be extremely harsh criticisms in the other thread and as a women who will most likely never marry of have a family, I wonder how men feel about that. As judgmental???
It all depends... I know women with three kids who were never married. I know people in a 30 year old relationship who never got married.

Someone who never had a serious relationship in 40 years? Something's wrong here unless they just got out of prison

Old 09-13-2012, 01:29 PM

102,255 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Both men and women can stay in grad school til around 30, then they have to get set up in their career. If it's an academic career, it means once they get hired, they have to not only teach, but crank out a book in a limited amt. of time, in order to get tenure. If they don't make the cut, they have to start over again with the nation-wide job search, move elsewhere, repeat. They wouldn't be entering the dating pool until late 30's, roughly. Those in some other fields have to be workaholics to get established in their profession, and only manage to come up for air (among other things ) as they close in on 40. We've had a couple of women post in the past who were getting close to 40, but were always passed over by men, because they looked like HS or college students. Lots of attention from people half their age, but couldn't get someone near their age to take an interest. Some people just have eclectic interests and haven't found the right person. There are many reasons why great catches, male and female, can arrive at 40 without LTR experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships