Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this worth not speaking to them or breaking up
Yes 19 40.43%
No 19 40.43%
Maybe, it would depend 9 19.15%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:10 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,199,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcellaV2 View Post
Wow. It would be cool if that was his reaction instead.

He still thinks it was done intentionally. Talk about overreacting.
I dunno. If you actually shoved him, sounds as if you were the one doing the overreacting. Somehow I've never laid a hand in anger on anyone during my entire dating life and in my 21-year marriage. To be sure, there have been times when I've been pissed off. But physical violence? Now way.

Sounds as if you really were in the wrong here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 03:25 AM

684 posts, read 825,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I would dump any man who pushed me, pool or not. You don't put your hands on me in anger. Ever.
Absolutely correct. I'm in the same boat - If a woman were ever to slap me, that would be it. There would be no argument over it, no fight. I'd just leave - and have - without a second thought about the person.

As a man, I can react to physical violence in one of three ways: Allow it to happen, fight back, or just leave. I'm not a bully and would never hit a woman, nor am I a doormat. That leaves only one area.

I have been questioned on that in the past. I was honestly shocked that some women thought it was a little thing to physically strike another person and that I was overreacting by simply breaking up with them on the spot, leaving and not speaking to them again.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:57 AM

7,453 posts, read 13,435,251 times
If your SO push you into a swimming pool, would you break up?

No. I would get out and push her in too.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:09 AM

37,648 posts, read 46,067,796 times
Quote:
It was me but at the same thing I was kind of drunk too. But honestly, it was an accident. I had no intention of throwing him into the pool and it wasn't really a hard shove.

I guess I'll apologize and leave at that. Though, I don't see myself as a violent person. What if this only happened just this one time and you have never done something like that before ever?
That's pretty different that the other posters have assumed. A shove, from a drunk (doesn't really matter who you are) into a pool, would hardly be something to break-up over. I wouldn't consider a drunken shove to be "violent". But I probably wouldn't be dating such a person anyway. I don't like being around drunks.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Like all things, there are circumstances involved... was this a person you we're just hardly seeing... did you deserve being pushed in the water? Were you acting like a jerk?

I've been with Mrs. CHow a long time... I can say things to irk her enough to toss my ass in a pool.........

and vice versa.....

LOL! Yeah...Pretty much the way I feel about it too.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:55 PM

12 posts, read 18,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
Absolutely correct. I'm in the same boat - If a woman were ever to slap me, that would be it. There would be no argument over it, no fight. I'd just leave - and have - without a second thought about the person.
I get that and yes that should be a deal-breaker but I didn't slap him so technically shoving isn't hitting.

I guess time will tell but more than likely it's over. Though, it was an honest mistake. Usually I don't drink so it's really the first time I've drunk that much.

Last edited by MarcellaV2; 09-19-2012 at 05:09 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 07:16 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,837,570 times
I'm 27. If that happened at my age out of anger or irritation, Id walk. Not a good sign.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:31 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,490,943 times
Quote:
Let's say if it wasn't really done as a joke but rather you guys are arguing at a pool party. Then you're kind of irritated and shoved your bf/gf but only as a ''leave me alone'' type of push. Next thing you know he/she falls in the swimming pool (but not intended, it just happened).

But is that something you would get upset over and not talk to them for more than 5 days or break up?

I wouldn't really break up and would get over that nonsense by the 2nd day. Then again, that's just me. I don't know about you people. Is getting accidentally thrown into a swimming pool by your bf/gf something to react like that?
A simpler way to state this question is, "If your SO pushed you in anger, would you break up?" Whhere you land is not important. This is a physical act - a magnitude less severe than hitting but an act of physical violence/confrontation nevertheless. Such behavior is unacceptable.

[however, because it is not severe, in my opinion, I would voice my displeasure and make it clear that that's the last time it happens]

Old 09-20-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
I get that and yes that should be a deal-breaker but I didn't slap him so technically shoving isn't hitting.

I guess time will tell but more than likely it's over. Though, it was an honest mistake. Usually I don't drink so it's really the first time I've drunk that much.
Drinking to excess around a pool, if you typically don't drink much....probably not a good idea.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,471,475 times
I let my ex spouse do much worse in the past, but now I would never let it get that far. Why? The life-threatening domestic violence situation I got into started with her pushing me off the bed. That's just a red flag for what's to come--a warning sign, if you will. If it's gotten to that point, you've probably already missed several red flags. Check out the thread in this forum about emotional abuse: 10 Signs You May Be in an Emotionally Abusive Relationship . Chances are your spouse/SO are already doing at least some of those things if they believe it's acceptable to push you. ETA: She was also full of excuses like "I didn't mean it" and "I was just joking" and "I didn't push you that hard" etc. etc.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 09-20-2012 at 07:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships