Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 09:50 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,194,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
It doesn't - but neither does saying that Amy Winehouse smoked have anything to do with me saying that I'm a singer and smoking is bad for me. I was just trying to prove a point. Smoking is bad for singers. Do some singers smoke? Yes. That doesn't mean that it isn't bad for them. And I don't think Amy Winehouse is a very good poster child for anything other than telling kids to stay off drugs.
LOL...when people say people like her are 'bad influences on children' I say nonsense, they are good examples of what NOT to be! They can influence them by scaring them lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 09:51 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,480,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I find you unattractive and wouldn't come near you with a ten foot pole. NOT because you don't like smokers, or that it is a deal breaker for you, but because of your attitude about it. You are one of the "haters" I was talking about.

If you told me to leave my jacket on the porch, I imagine I would assume you were joking at first, and then after further insistence from you, I would likely speak a couple reserved words toward you and you'd never see me again.
im not hating anyone. im just aware of what i want and where i want my life to go. its just the flip side of yourself...someone who looks at non smokers who wants no part of those ""bad people"" always judging me for my lifestyle and standard.

you're coming into my home, not yours. you respect my wishes as i would respect yours in the opposite scenario. you either accept it or you don't. its not an issue for me either way. you (assuming you where actually a female) are just a casual acquaintance, we have nothing to hold us to seeing one another. if respecting certain things about the others life in situations that call for them isn't going to work for you or i, so be, C'est la vie

there is no one hating anyone in this situation. if i was offering to take you home there is very much of a like for you as a person. its just two people able to connect any further due to circumstance.

Last edited by rego00123; 09-16-2012 at 10:07 PM..

Old 09-16-2012, 09:54 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,924,985 times
It's not about those who wouldn't date a smoker. Thats fine. We all have our likes and dislikes. Some guys wouldn't date a "heavy" girl and instead opt for the model type. Should they be judged poorly because of that preferance? No, they like what they like. It's the same with smoking. You don't like it? Thats fine, I understand, but why do you have to have such a negative and judgemental attitude towards it? Like you are somehow "better" than them as a person or something? You're not, so I'd suggest you change your way of thinking. We all make choices, some good, some bad, but in the end, we are all people.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't see the 'hate.' His/her reasons are totally legit IMO.
Again, the reasons are fine, it's the way they go about presenting them and the attitude conveyed in their post. Take Dew's post for example, she has her reasons why she wouldn't date a smoker, and I resoect thosereasons. She didn't come off to me as thinking she was better than me though, or even judgemental.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
im not hating anyone. im just aware of what i want and where i want my life to go. its just the flip side of yourself...someone who looks at non smokers who want no part of it as "bad people""
I don't think people who don't like smokers are bad people, I think the ones who think they are better than someone and have a cocky attitude about it are, and thats the vibe I'm getting from your post. I could be wrong though, and hope that I am.

Quote:
you're coming into my home, not yours. you respect my wishes as i would respect yours in the opposite scenario.
Fair enough. I respect that.

Quote:
there is no one hating anyone in this situation. if i was offering to take you home there is very much of a like for you as a person. its just two people able to connect any further due to circumstance.
Thats reasonable.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:11 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,191,477 times
I really wish people would stop using the word, 'hater'. It's the second most overused term after swag.

No one is hating on someone who smokes. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Good deal of the time, actual hate is because of hatred or jealous of that person.

No one in their right mind is jealous of a smoker.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
No one in their right mind is jealous of a smoker.
Why exactly do you say that? Maybe there is some smoker somewhere who is rich and has a lot of things and someone is jealous of that. Maybe they have a nice family and someone is jealous of that? They just happen to be a smoker, it doesn't mean they are defected in some way.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:28 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,480,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
It's not about those who wouldn't date a smoker. Thats fine. We all have our likes and dislikes. Some guys wouldn't date a "heavy" girl and instead opt for the model type. Should they be judged poorly because of that preferance? No, they like what they like. It's the same with smoking. You don't like it? Thats fine, I understand, but why do you have to have such a negative and judgemental attitude towards it? Like you are somehow "better" than them as a person or something? You're not, so I'd suggest you change your way of thinking. We all make choices, some good, some bad, but in the end, we are all people.
no hate here, im sure you are a decent fellow. unless your life was all about smoking and you had no other redeeming value i would have no reason to judge you for you choice to smoke, i do have standard of living though and when it comes down to it in serious scenarios it would never involve anyone knowingly doing something that has the possibility to put their future in jeopardy. i grew up in a home with chain smokers and seen what it has done to them, the issues they dealt with later in life trying to quit after the health scares started to happen. its not something i would ever want my children to deal with, and its not something i would be willing to have happen to someone i have grown a strong bond with ever again.

nothing i said comes with any judgement on people who smoke ""as"" people. if you turned around at my door and told me taking your smokey jacket wasn't something you where willing to do i would say no problem i totally understand, call you a cab home and check in to see if you made it home safe before bed. the next night i would be right back drinking with you and laughing

you would still be "you"

Old 09-16-2012, 10:31 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,719,805 times
all my stoners flick ya lighters up
all my smokers stick ya ciggies up

anyway as a smoker of both leaves I'm not too hurt by folks who don't wanna date smokers. I understand a lot of people don't like the smell of cigarette smoke or have a problem with cannabis. I do get that holier-than-thou vibe from some of 'em, but they tend to give it off in all aspects of their lives. live and let live is my motto.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:31 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,581,290 times
Smokers are just plain undateable to me.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
no hate here, im sure you are a decent fellow. unless your life was all about smoking and you had no other redeeming value i would have no reason to judge you for you choice to smoke, i do have standard of living though and when it comes down to it in serious scenarios it would never involve anyone knowingly doing something that has the possibility to put their future in jeopardy. i grew up in a home with chain smokers and seen what it has done to them, the issues they dealt with later in life trying to quit after the health scares started to happen. its not something i would ever want my children to deal with, and its not something i would be willing to have happen to someone i have grown a strong bond with ever again.

nothing i said comes with any judgement on people who smoke ""as"" people. if you turned around at my door and told me taking your smokey jacket wasn't something you where willing to do i would say no problem i totally understand, call you a cab home and check in to see if you made it home safe before bed. the next night i would be right back drinking with you and laughing

you would still be "you"
Thats 100% reasonable, thats your preferance, and I get that. I misjudged you, but the tone of the written word is very hard to capture, as they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships