Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2012, 06:01 PM

499 posts, read 757,170 times

Advertisements

Everyone finds certain traits superior, whether it be race, income, height, intelligence, weight, facial features and are thus attracted to whatever they are attracted to.

You can't say one is harsher than the other. People are going to do what they're going to do, and haters are going to hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 06:07 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,061,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
This sentence makes no sense. But the texture of a black woman's hair has nothing to do with her intelligence or income level. that BS is no different than those who presume that certain skin tones or races are superior, smarter or more friendlier than others..it's all lies.
This is from my observation, I came across this so many times here in NYC. Where you live out in the boonies its a different story.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I have noticed over the years that these type of black women with the afro centric look are mostly with white men, its not a race thing its more of a class thing actually since both groups are mostly likely educated and earn a high paying salary.
It is pretty interesting the perceptions people have of women wearing natural hair........

Old 10-07-2012, 06:08 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,061,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter002 View Post
Everyone finds certain traits superior, whether it be race, income, height, intelligence, weight, facial features and are thus attracted to whatever they are attracted to.

You can't say one is harsher than the other. People are going to do what they're going to do, and haters are going to hate.
This is true, what I also believe is that people have to work it out with their shortcomings.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:09 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,122,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is from my observation, I came across this so many times here in NYC. Where you live out in the boonies its a different story.
i dont live in the boonies. black women in new york do not represent the majority of the population. and unless you have access to every black woman's bank account, what you say has absolutely NO credibility...

Old 10-07-2012, 06:30 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,672,955 times
Quote:
I see NO REASON why "African" traits "have to be favored", or even "Caucasian" traits have to be favored for that matter, or why it's "such a shame" that certain things aren't favored. We should accept ALL or accept whatever we want. If the tables were turned and all of a sudden short men, dark skinned women, fat women/men and all of the other non-mainstream groups were "favored" and showcased all over the media, the "favored" groups still wouldn't think much of the unfavored.

This is why I personally don't feel sorry for the "woe is me, they don't favor ____________" (insert less or non-favorable traits) because EVERYONE HAS SOMETHING THEY DON'T LIKE AND WILL USE REASONS WHY ITS OKAY TO NOT FAVOR IT. Furthermore, even if someone was to magically be part of the favored/mainstream group, those same people will still find something to find "less attractive".

Race is no bigger than all of the other traits, because like many others, those TRAITS are HARDWIRED and CAN'T BE CHANGED. You're stuck with them. The only reason why it gets so much attention is because of the history of race in this country, but dating and social injustice are two different topics.

A black guy who likes black women is going to like black women. A black guy who likes other women, well, he's going to like whatever he likes.
For all of your thoughtfulness, you are either disingenuous, are ignorant of American and Latin American history, or both. I do not believe that any traits of any race should be favored over any other, and I have said that on this forum and others ad nauseum. So your basic premise is far off the mark from the beginning. anyway, the problem is that due to white supremacist notions of attractiveness, whiteness has been favored and exalted and nonwhiteness, especially that which is African, has been ascribed negative qualities. This is the case in North America and Latin America. Do you really think that folks of any race who do not like blacks are doing so for reasons independent of history or centuries of conditioning? Do you really believe colorism and the emphasis on "good hair," (see, Dominican Republic) are randomly occurring phenomena? If you really think dating, or anything else in this society, are not connected with the other forces within this society, you are painfully naive.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:39 PM

499 posts, read 757,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
For all of your thoughtfulness, you are either disingenuous, are ignorant of American and Latin American history, or both. I do not believe that any traits of any race should be favored over any other, and I have said that on this forum and others ad nauseum. So your basic premise is far off the mark from the beginning. anyway, the problem is that due to white supremacist notions of attractiveness, whiteness has been favored and exalted and nonwhiteness, especially that which is African, has been ascribed negative qualities. This is the case in North America and Latin America. Do you really think that folks of any race who do not like blacks are doing so for reasons independent of history or centuries of conditioning? Do you really believe colorism and the emphasis on "good hair," (see, Dominican Republic) are randomly occurring phenomena? If you really think dating, or anything else in this society, are not connected with the other forces within this society, you are painfully naive.
Blah blah blah. Woe is meeeeeeeeeeeeee. It's all garbage. We all grow up with short men being evil doers on television, fat women being jolly an asexual on television in the media and we grow up with all of the caucasian features being prized after in the media and because of slavery, history, blah blah.

Yes it's all true, but this doesn't give skin color a pass. You may say that it is not okay to think white skin is better than dark skin, but it is natural to think that tall is better than short, or to think that thin is better than fat.

The fact is it is all rubbish. They are ALL social constructs. They are given meaning and weight because the society we're in places weight on them and thus affects the people in the non-favored groups.

Good Hair/Bad Hair = same garbage. Social construct.

There are people who could care LESS what the constructs are and live their lives accordingly. There are enough blacks who PRIZE African Beauty and ONLY go for that.

I could give a rat's ass about White Supremacists and the crap pop culture garbage that people use to make others feel like they "hate themselves" or that skin color should be one of those "protected" areas in dating. It's nonsense.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
On the Contrary. It's evolutionary but lately when I think of an American standard of beauty(Not mine) for a woman I'm thinking its Exotic eyes, Full lips, Full hips and breasts, light to carmel skin and long dark hair. It would be the Kim Kardasean, Angelie Jole, Eva Longore type of woman. This is a compilation of of women of the world.
I really think that while many people see the Kardashian/Eva look as an ideal (Jolie isn't really much like the others.....:), mainstream white America still sees light skin, Northern European features and hair texture and light eyes and hair as an ideal. Kim and Eva are so beautiful that they, and women like them with mestiza/mulata/Mideastern looks, attract attention despite being largely nonwhite. As well, they're not that dark.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is pretty interesting the perceptions people have of women wearing natural hair........
My wife has wanted to wear natural hair for years, but she knows that her earning power would be limited in corporate America if she did.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Blah blah blah. Woe is meeeeeeeeeeeeee. It's all garbage. We all grow up with short men being evil doers on television, fat women being jolly an asexual on television in the media and we grow up with all of the caucasian features being prized after in the media and because of slavery, history, blah blah.

Yes it's all true, but this doesn't give skin color a pass. You may say that it is not okay to think white skin is better than dark skin, but it is natural to think that tall is better than short, or to think that thin is better than fat.
Actually, none of this is natural. You can rail against what I wrote all you want, but the facts remain the facts
The fact is it is all rubbish. They are ALL social constructs. They are given meaning and weight because the society we're in places weight on them and thus affects the people in the non-favored groups.

Good Hair/Bad Hair = same garbage. Social construct.

There are people who could care LESS what the constructs are and live their lives accordingly. There are enough blacks who PRIZE African Beauty and ONLY go for that.

I could give a rat's ass about White Supremacists and the crap pop culture garbage that people use to make others feel like they "hate themselves" or that skin color should be one of those "protected" areas in dating. It's nonsense.
On one hand, you argue that these things are all social constructs, which is true.....but then you act as if they are not important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships