Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 08:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Are the black people really biracial looking in that area? I would never want to move there they'd be so racist against me because I am an authentic black woman. There's a black lady I know who lives out there and she says the black people act as if they've never seen a full black person before. She told me a lot of them are very lightskin
It really depends on where you are for sure. Where I live, in Oakland, there is a pretty good range, but.... I'd say there are less "unmixed" native Californians. But there are lots of other people that are "unmixed" there are transplants from the east/midwest, and immigrants or 1st gen Africans (mostly Nigerian and Ethiopian in Oakland). I get mistaken for Nigerian all the time!

Generally, I don't find problems with overt racism in most places. There are some exceptions occassionally, but not often at all.

In terms of kids? It is a huge range of things. We saw a freestyle performance for a black kids group over the weekend. 33% of the kids were obviously mixed, another third were ethiopian, and the other ones were "regular black."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 08:12 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,122,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It really depends on where you are for sure. Where I live, in Oakland, there is a pretty good range, but.... I'd say there are less "unmixed" native Californians. But there are lots of other people that are "unmixed" there are transplants from the east/midwest, and immigrants or 1st gen Africans (mostly Nigerian and Ethiopian in Oakland). I get mistaken for Nigerian all the time!

Generally, I don't find problems with overt racism in most places. There are some exceptions occassionally, but not often at all.

In terms of kids? It is a huge range of things. We saw a freestyle performance for a black kids group over the weekend. 33% of the kids were obviously mixed, another third were ethiopian, and the other ones were "regular black."
lol@reguar black. that would be me

I just heard so many horror stories about California that I would be afraid to step foot over there. I thought people would be shocked by my blackness.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:19 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:

I just heard so many horror stories about California that I would be afraid to step foot over there. I thought people would be shocked by my blackness.
Not much can surprise or shock Californians....trust me.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:26 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,664,773 times
Quote:

southern california is losing black people since I grew up. Overall it's never been that black to begin with. But in a way that's good for you. Your features will stick out and you'll be more exotic and sought after than in a place like Atlanta or Detroit.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:

The worst thing that happens to me (and I am guessing you and I have a fairly similar upbringing and background) is there is a subset of the Africans (you know who assumed I am African) who are shocked that I am not African, and you know I went to college etc...

This is a fairly "reasonable" assumption, only because if you go to the state schools in CA (at all levels) the black student population tends to be heavily African. My college actually had a BSU and an African Student Association, and there was minimal cross over in the membership of the clubs. There is a bit of sample size bias, because many Californians choose to go away for college.....

The conversation usually ends with something like "oh well, you act like a Nigerian" or something. But I've heard I look Igbo ......

Old 10-07-2012, 08:40 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,122,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The worst thing that happens to me (and I am guessing you and I have a fairly similar upbringing and background) is there is a subset of the Africans (you know who assumed I am African) who are shocked that I am not African, and you know I went to college etc...

This is a fairly "reasonable" assumption, only because if you go to the state schools in CA (at all levels) the black student population tends to be heavily African. My college actually had a BSU and an African Student Association, and there was minimal cross over in the membership of the clubs. There is a bit of sample size bias, because many Californians choose to go away for college.....

The conversation usually ends with something like "oh well, you act like a Nigerian" or something. But I've heard I look Igbo ......
I've had African Americans, Arabs, and Africans ask me if I am from West Africa, too. Some were shocked when I told them that I am African American, and that my family has been here since slavery..they migrated from the south to the midwest in the 1900s. My family didn't do a lot of mixing (until recently) so I still have the original features of my black ancestors.

Quote:
southern california is losing black people since I grew up. Overall it's never been that black to begin with. But in a way that's good for you. Your features will stick out and you'll be more exotic and sought after than in a place like Atlanta or Detroit.
I'm not sure how i feel about that. Many posters (mostly male) have reiterated that my features are not the ideal. I don't know how I would fare out in California. What if its worse? I am scared.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:14 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,664,773 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how i feel about that. Many posters (mostly male) have reiterated that my features are not the ideal. I don't know how I would fare out in California. What if its worse? I am scared.
Ideal for who? You'll never be ideal for everybody but all you need is 1 person. Califas has 20 million people. A lot of latinos and white people often told me they have a thing for a black girl. Now getting with a guy who fetishes your features may not make a healthy long-term relationship. It's a start.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:24 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,242,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter002 View Post
Thus, Colorism is no more bad or worse than heightism, sizeism, or any other ism. They're all social constructs. Anyone who is affected by any construct in the negative will FEEL it day to day and it will affect their entire life in some way.
I'm not so sure. Compared to color, height and size bias carry a rather benign historical legacy. I am aware of no record of systematic oppression in this country of fat or short people, at least none that comes even remotely close to the level of severity of the oppression experienced by those affected by racism/colorism.

Moreover, while in theory one could very well argue that color bias can go in any direction, the reality is that in this society and in many others, color bias is manifested as overwhelmingly one-sided against dark-skinned people, a phenomenon which arguably has its roots in the very historical context from which color bias arose.

Dating just happens to be one of the few social institutions in which race/color bias not only thrives, but is openly encouraged (or at least not discouraged) in the name of "personal preference". To the person who finds him or herself routinely discriminated against in the dating market on the basis of ethnicity or color, there is sometimes great difficulty separating these experiences from the broader framework of ethnic discrimination and prejudice in other aspects of society, which is understandable.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:25 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
okay, you are one of the nicer and accepting ones and you did say you liked darkskin so that is a good thing
Their is nothing wrong with darkskin. I dont knkw why you see a problem with darkskin. I always tell black women if you want lite skinned babies with brown eyes please lets me know!

Old 10-08-2012, 02:20 AM

499 posts, read 757,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Listen. I'm on my iPad, so I haven't been able to respond in the manner in which I've wanted. Just suffice it to say that you don't have a clue of what you're talking about.
You're just saying that because a) what I say doesn't "benefit" your cause and b) you cannot "believe" that I think what I think. It's not a public pissing contest. Lol. I could care less. Everyone wants their "ism" to be the #1 problem lol. They are all the same.

The ones who are affected negatively by colorism get pissed because like other isms, if someone rejects them by color (IN DATING), they can't do anything about it to rectify their situation. They refuse to believe that "color" is something they could be "rejected for" (in dating). Well........... welcome to heightism and all of the other things we can't change about ourselves.

The isms are all things that have no bearing on our personalities, characters, yet we are summarily judged.

I stick to what I say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships