Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:44 PM

21 posts, read 39,269 times

Advertisements

I'm a college student in my sophomore and due to being too focus on my courses, studying for exams, attending important family gatherings, etc I didn't have time for a gf before.

Anyways, about 6 months ago I finally started dating and now I'm in an almost 3 month relationship. At some point the topic about our past came out and she started mentioning about being in certain previous relationship and how she got cheated on once. I thought she would ask for mine my past in return but didn't but I would have been honest about it. In my case, I don't have a past at all.

So far the relationship seems to be proceeding. We've gone from making-out to some heavy petting. But should I be the one bringing back the topic again or only mention it if she asks me directly? Also is this really that important?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 10:48 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
It is as important as you make it really. If you have no past as in not sexually active it is a moot point on your side because you have nothing to "share" per se where she might if she has been sexually active.

I'm not saying she does have or has had any sort of STD or anything like that, I am only saying that there is nothing to mention really if you have never been sexually active. If you had your heart stomped on before, sure mention it if you want like she told you an ex boyfriend cheated on her otherwise whatever you are comfortable with.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It is as important as you make it really. If you have no past as in not sexually active it is a moot point on your side because you have nothing to "share" per se where she might if she has been sexually active.
Yeah I have nothing to share other than she is the only woman I ever asked out, kissed and had some physical contact.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:59 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Don't worry about it. You're not obligated to share unless she asks. She's mostly just telling you to vent and warn you not to cheat on her, anyway.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Don't worry about it. You're not obligated to share unless she asks. She's mostly just telling you to vent and warn you not to cheat on her, anyway.
Thank you for the helpful tip. Seeing how my aunt was devastated by my uncle's ongoing affair, I grew up to despise cheaters so no I will not cheat on her.

I wonder what's the average time frame it takes for a relationship to get fully physical (meaning everything included, not just partially)? I know it would have probably gone further had I been the type of guy making more moves but I back off the last time and didn't proceed more.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:18 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorM90 View Post
Thank you for the helpful tip. Seeing how my aunt was devastated by my uncle's ongoing affair, I grew up to despise cheaters so no I will not cheat on her.

I wonder what's the average time frame it takes for a relationship to get fully physical (meaning everything included, not just partially)? I know it would have probably gone further had I been the type of guy making more moves but I back off the last time and didn't proceed more.
Tell her you won't cheat on her then (and don't). There is no average time frame, just make a move and see what happens.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:27 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
At what point should you talk about your past to your partner?
Whenever it comes up, if it comes up, and provided you are comfortable doing so.

[don't worry about it]

Old 10-17-2012, 11:32 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:

No specific time frame, no how to proceed manual to refer to, each relationship is different, let it flow, let it be natural not forced and please don't have sex "just to get it over with". It really is a big deal and a big step (in my opinion) and do have protection even if she is on some sort of birth control, unwanted/unplanned pregnancy changes your life in an instant.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Tell her you won't cheat on her then (and don't).
I will and at the same time wish I knew who was that cheating bastard so I can call him out on what he is and tell him that's not how to treat a woman.
Quote:
There is no average time frame, just make a move and see what happens.
Yeah it'll come naturally at some point. I just wasn't ready that day. It feels the same as when I was learning how to ride a bike; uneased at first then just hesitating and finally suddenly going for it.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:58 AM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
You're a college boy.

you're too damn young for either a past or a "partner".

She's your girlfriend, one of many I am sure.

Have you heard that old saying "live for today"? It's true. The past is the past and that's where it belongs.

At my age everyone has a past and to be honest, I couldn't care less and don't wanna know.

It's none of my business anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships