Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 03:45 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times

Advertisements

I've seen many posts about women being in great marriages with men who were friends first...

Was there any specific things that these men did to stop being friends?

I've heard tales from my own guy friends and they al say that too many times it doesn't work because they just aren't seen as potential boyfriends, or the women fear that the relationship will ruin their friendships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 03:55 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
When it comes to love - there really are not magical equations. When I met my husband, I was engaged to someone else. I was on tour with my husband and saw him every single day. We became friends - being more wasn't something I thought about since I was engaged. But the more I got to know him - I began to be attracted to him. It just happened. And the more time I spent with him - the more I realized how wrong my relationship with my fiance was.

It's not like my husband did anything - we just happened to be right for each other and we discovered this by spending time with each other as friends first.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:59 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
There is no way out of the friendzone. Trust me, you're there for a reason, and women rarely if ever "promote" you out of it. Women say they married their best friend, married a guy who eventually became their best friend, but not started as their best friend. There is a major caste system for women, and very little upward mobility. Can't earn your way with a woman. The only way out of the friend zone is to cut off the friendship. I was in a friendzone situation for 2 years with a woman I thought I was VERY compatible with. It never worked out, and I eventually asked myself 'I like her, I can't be her friend, I want more'. And because of that, I was able to leave.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:03 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
If a woman puts you in the 'friend zone' she never liked you to begin with, sorry. It's an excuse to make rejection a little bit easier. There is nothing you could have done to NOT be put in the friend zone since there was no attraction in the first place.

If she likes you romantically, even just a little bit, there is always a chance 'friendzone' or not.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:05 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I've seen many posts about women being in great marriages with men who were friends first...

Was there any specific things that these men did to stop being friends?

I've heard tales from my own guy friends and they al say that too many times it doesn't work because they just aren't seen as potential boyfriends, or the women fear that the relationship will ruin their friendships.
I would say you have to figure out what it was the made a woman not attracted you. Was it lack of confidence, your weight, the way you dress, your attitude, and type of actions you may have done that might give the woman the impression that being friends is the best you two will ever be. You have to figure out first what it was that caused you to go in to the friend zone.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:09 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,358 times
Let me know if you figure it out. In my experience, men can also be the ones who don't "promote" as branh put it. With the exception of my late husband, who apparently didn't get the memo, I've always been just the friend.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:10 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
When it comes to love - there really are not magical equations. When I met my husband, I was engaged to someone else. I was on tour with my husband and saw him every single day. We became friends - being more wasn't something I thought about since I was engaged. But the more I got to know him - I began to be attracted to him. It just happened. And the more time I spent with him - the more I realized how wrong my relationship with my fiance was.

It's not like my husband did anything - we just happened to be right for each other and we discovered this by spending time with each other as friends first.
would you have friend-zoned him if you weren't engaged?

Old 10-15-2012, 04:11 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
If a woman puts you in the 'friend zone' she never liked you to begin with, sorry. It's an excuse to make rejection a little bit easier. There is nothing you could have done to NOT be put in the friend zone since there was no attraction in the first place.

If she likes you romantically, even just a little bit, there is always a chance 'friendzone' or not.
That's funny though, because I have strong friendships with a couple of ladies, who are great and interesting people to hang out with. I was always interested in making a move but I never could cause they are always dating someone, and I don't make moves on anyone that's dating someone. Im just not that kind of guy. >.<

Old 10-15-2012, 04:12 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I would say you have to figure out what it was the made a woman not attracted you. Was it lack of confidence, your weight, the way you dress, your attitude, and type of actions you may have done that might give the woman the impression that being friends is the best you two will ever be. You have to figure out first what it was that caused you to go in to the friend zone.

You don't have to do anything wrong. And whatever put him in the friendzone is probably something he can't change. Let's be honest with out, when you're in the friend zone you're basically Mr. Safety net. You're nice enough for her to keep you around, but not good enough for her to put you in prime time. The friend zone is all about giving a woman power. If there is no romantic attraction, then sure you can be friends. But if there isn't one, you may as well chalk it up as a loss and be done with her. In my opinion, the friendzone is relationship purgatory. You're everything to a woman, yet nothing at all. You're pretty much the "catch all" for everything that could possibly be wrong with the woman, as you become her 'big brother', which means 'I'm the guy I can complain to for all my problems, even male problems'. There is a certainly lack of integrity being a friend zone guy. I would tell any guy who got friend zoned by a girl who needs to get out to learn how to respect himself.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:12 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
I disagree because I believe in friends first. Not saying that we have to be best friends off the bat but just enjoy spending time together whether there is attraction or not.

Btw when I saw the guy I liked I asked him if he wanted to hang out and he said yes. I don't want him to think I am not interested but also want to go slowly with him since he is shy and apparently very inexperienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships