Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 12:31 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCatarre View Post
I'm happier being alone because there are things that I can only have/enjoy this way and I wouldn't even if I was in a happy relationship. Besides, like I said, I know myself better than everyone and I know my personality would never fit what a LTR requires. There's no point in wasting people's time and disappoint them in the end. I'm very predictable to myself, sometimes I wish I wasn't.
Then as long as you are happy - that's all that matters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 12:33 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,974 times
The problem with the snippy snippy is that it is a permanent measure. You may think that you will never, ever, change your mind at this point, but people are flexible, and circumstances change. I'm not saying that you will fall head over heels in some romantic affair, but...just be careful about major choices like that. It's like getting a tattoo of a girl's name on your bicep or something....and then breaking up with her, and telling the next one that it's actually your mom (yeah right).

Old 10-22-2012, 12:42 PM

264 posts, read 309,349 times
What's weird is needing to ask strangers on the internet if your personal life choices are okay.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:43 PM

39 posts, read 135,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Then as long as you are happy - that's all that matters!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
The problem with the snippy snippy is that it is a permanent measure. You may think that you will never, ever, change your mind at this point, but people are flexible, and circumstances change. I'm not saying that you will fall head over heels in some romantic affair, but...just be careful about major choices like that. It's like getting a tattoo of a girl's name on your bicep or something....and then breaking up with her, and telling the next one that it's actually your mom (yeah right).
I'm well aware that it's permanent. And that's how it should be. I want children, hypothetically. However, we can never control how they turn out and you can't send them back if things go wrong. Besides, it's a huge financial burden and I can be well off now...but what about in 10 years? I think I could never sleep again if I had a child. There's no way to turn back when you have children.

Not having the possibility to have children erradicates the possibility of another unhappy human being/things goings wrong.

Thanks for the input.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPollard View Post
What's weird is needing to ask strangers on the internet if your personal life choices are okay.
I just wanted to know opinions from other people, of course my personal choices are mine. If what you said was true, this forum wouldn't even have a purpose to exist.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:47 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,697,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPollard View Post
Then why are you here? You know that's what people is going to do. That's stupid in itself.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:52 PM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCatarre View Post
I'm happier being alone because there are things that I can only have/enjoy this way and I wouldn't even if I was in a happy relationship. Besides, like I said, I know myself better than everyone and I know my personality would never fit what a LTR requires. There's no point in wasting people's time and disappoint them in the end. I'm very predictable to myself, sometimes I wish I wasn't.

That's important, to know yourself well.

However, there is a chance that who you are now may be something different 10 years from now. There's also a chance you'll be the same. But, IMO very few people can gauge the future with complete accuracy. If you'd asked me 10 years ago if I'd be divorced and getting remarried, I would have laughed in your face and told you that you were crazy. It's just something to keep in mind, that what you want out of life at 29 may not necessarily be what you want at 39 or 49.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
That's important, to know yourself well.

However, there is a chance that who you are now may be something different 10 years from now. There's also a chance you'll be the same. But, IMO very few people can gauge the future with complete accuracy. If you'd asked me 10 years ago if I'd be divorced and getting remarried, I would have laughed in your face and told you that you were crazy. It's just something to keep in mind, that what you want out of life at 29 may not necessarily be what you want at 39 or 49.
This personality trait 8my temper) has been like this since I was a small child. It hasn't changed, it won't change in 20 years. It will probably get worse as I grow older. I'm used to it but I would never expect others to put up with it.

That's why any relationship with me would barely make it to the first 6 months. After the "honeymoon" phase goes away, things get real.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:00 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
I'm a single woman and 36 years old. You're a guy - single isn't necessarily something that's going to be viewed as a negative for the wider society. However, I've been on this site and gotten some rather patronizing comments about becoming a cat lady and whatnot.

Honestly, I've got awesome friends, some decent remaining family, a bunch of great dogs and a cat, a decent job and a raft of interests and hobbies. I'm living in probably the best place in the world for me to live and shaping myself into the kind of person I want to be.

The only problem is that I have a rather insane sex drive and I'm not into random hookups. So my overriding reason for wanting an exclusive relationship is, well, sex. I'm not looking to fall in love necessarily - I've been in love, and it was amazing until it ended. I'm glad it happened and ok if it never happens again - why force it, ya know?

But my advice is don't close yourself off to the possibility of an exclusive, long-term romantic relationship with someone you love. It's a great thing to experience, and so what if it ends? It doesn't erase the good times - and sometimes you can end it before things turn completely ugly, which is what me and my favorite ex did. There's nothing wrong with what you're doing, but don't miss out on something potentially awesome just because you've labeled yourself as a lifelong singleton. Remain open to possibilities.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:20 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,006,311 times
Nothing wrong with it, but I don't think anyone can foresee the future. You may meet someone who rings your bell someday. I wouldn't hold yourself forever to anything you feel right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships