Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 03:53 PM

23 posts, read 27,840 times

Advertisements

My grandparents were married for 54 years. For decades my grandfather had a revolving door of mistresses. He always had an eye for pretty women and wouldn't let the best ones escape (he was extremely good looking when he was younger and up to his 50s). He was a very hard worker, very responsible when it came to the children (even though he was mostly absent) and never mistreated my grandmother. She was in charge at home and he complied. Her word was law.

My grandmother always knew but stayed in her position as a faithful and dedicated wife and mother. She didn't work and was completely dependent on him. She was also very religious and came from an ultraconservative family, so there was no choice but to keep the marriage.

Even as kid I remember sometimes seeing my grandfather in the car with much younger women.

She died just over a year ago from breast cancer. The other day I noticed that my grandfather, always a very arrogant, masculine, full of himself type of guy, now has a picture of her on his desk in the studio. He still doesn't allow anyone to sit in her place at the table.

At her funeral, I couldn't believe when I saw him washed in tears, totally devastated. I mean, this sounds cruel, but now he can have all the women he wants (sure he's old but he has the money). Why be such an hipocrite in the end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 03:55 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Sounds like he loved her.

Some people can "box off" parts of their lives. You can never know what it is like inside someone else's relationship.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:58 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,875,674 times
Because, despite his transgressions, he still loved her. Not trying to rationalize or excuse cheating, but we aren't all perfect.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:58 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
Because 54 years is 54 years. Period.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:06 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Maybe because he does not have anyone to cheat on?
Well, what I think is that despite of some differences they were 54 years together, so they just got used to each other.
The house now feels empty, there is no one to talk, no one makes noise, and he feels very lonely.
He is sad and I am sure he is thinking about all the good times they had together ( there is a life besides sex, you know?)
That's all he is missing now...

Old 10-23-2012, 04:08 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Look up Madonna w.h.o.r.e syndrome as it applies to marriages. Back in the day there were a lot of relationships like this. The wife was worshiped and therefore untouchable s.e.x.u.a.l.y
Here are the results of one search http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mc...drome+marriage

Last edited by JanND; 10-23-2012 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: link

Old 10-23-2012, 04:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMQC View Post
My grandparents were married for 54 years. For decades my grandfather had a revolving door of mistresses. He always had an eye for pretty women and wouldn't let the best ones escape (he was extremely good looking when he was younger and up to his 50s). He was a very hard worker, very responsible when it came to the children (even though he was mostly absent) and never mistreated my grandmother. She was in charge at home and he complied. Her word was law.

My grandmother always knew but stayed in her position as a faithful and dedicated wife and mother. She didn't work and was completely dependent on him. She was also very religious and came from an ultraconservative family, so there was no choice but to keep the marriage.

Even as kid I remember sometimes seeing my grandfather in the car with much younger women.

She died just over a year ago from breast cancer. The other day I noticed that my grandfather, always a very arrogant, masculine, full of himself type of guy, now has a picture of her on his desk in the studio. He still doesn't allow anyone to sit in her place at the table.

At her funeral, I couldn't believe when I saw him washed in tears, totally devastated. I mean, this sounds cruel, but now he can have all the women he wants (sure he's old but he has the money). Why be such an hipocrite in the end?
Love and sex are two entirely different things. Apparently, your grandmother was not interested in treating your grandfather in a fashion that would eliminate his philandering; that is unfortunate. However, he was honorable enough to continue to support her and apparently love her despite his many opportunities to move on. He sounds like a pretty decent guy to me.

20yrsinbranson

Old 10-23-2012, 04:19 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Apparently, your grandmother was not interested in treating your grandfather in a fashion that would eliminate his philandering; that is unfortunate.
20yrsinbranson
Of course, that's not what the OP asked. But since you went there, yes, let's blame one partner's cheating on the other's (supposed) lack of interest in sex.

Some people cheat, even with spouses who are willing to "do their duty" or "treat their spouses in a way that would eliminate philandering." << That supposition is false, BTW. One person does not control the other's cheating. You can do everything "right" and still have a partner who cheats.

Adultery actually can be very complicated.

Anyway, we all are speculating. Relationships are not always black and white, OP.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:22 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,577,082 times
maybe its because he loved her. Did you think of that?

Old 10-23-2012, 04:25 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,275,215 times
He loved her, and he probably felt fairly chitty and regretful about the way he'd treated her over the years.

Grief and guilt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships