Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 09:16 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,109,304 times

Advertisements

You never know what goes on behind closed doors. Re-read post #7, that explanation should help you understand that everything isn't just black & white. Some families have secrets and do some strange things, but I'm reasonably sure your grandfather loved your grandmother very much. Does that make him a hipocrite? No, but it makes you someone who isn't very worldly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 07:53 AM

23 posts, read 27,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
It sounds to me like in spite of all his cheating ways, deep down he really did love her. Not to justify his behavior but in the end she was always the one he would come home to, spend most of his time with, do stuff with, travel with, have dinner with, the list goes on

If anything, he deserves to have those who love him by his side. The thought of being married 54 years and then suddenly losing the one you love is quite saddening whether he cheated or not. Did you also think maybe he regretted all the times he cheated and wishes for a clean conscience? My condolences go out to him
He didn't spend much time with her at all but he showered her with material possessions. Most times really expensive things. Besides, he would never question her decisions when it came to the house and the children.

The only time he truly dedicated his time to her was during her illness. It was also the only time I saw him kiss her.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:57 AM

23 posts, read 27,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
You do know that Jackie Kennedy knew John F was cheating on her with Marilyn Monroe right? Robert Kennedy was in on the action as well. She still supported John F till he breathed his last breath too. At that time, being a devout Catholic, you supported your husband no matter the transgressions. Very much so the case with your grandmother.
Yes, I know that. That shouldn't mean a free pass for him to have affairs.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:03 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,712,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMQC View Post
My grandparents were married for 54 years. For decades my grandfather had a revolving door of mistresses. He always had an eye for pretty women and wouldn't let the best ones escape (he was extremely good looking when he was younger and up to his 50s). He was a very hard worker, very responsible when it came to the children (even though he was mostly absent) and never mistreated my grandmother. She was in charge at home and he complied. Her word was law.

My grandmother always knew but stayed in her position as a faithful and dedicated wife and mother. She didn't work and was completely dependent on him. She was also very religious and came from an ultraconservative family, so there was no choice but to keep the marriage.

Even as kid I remember sometimes seeing my grandfather in the car with much younger women.

She died just over a year ago from breast cancer. The other day I noticed that my grandfather, always a very arrogant, masculine, full of himself type of guy, now has a picture of her on his desk in the studio. He still doesn't allow anyone to sit in her place at the table.

At her funeral, I couldn't believe when I saw him washed in tears, totally devastated. I mean, this sounds cruel, but now he can have all the women he wants (sure he's old but he has the money). Why be such an hipocrite in the end?
Some men have the ability to seperate love from casual sex?

Old 10-27-2012, 02:33 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
Who knows. His priorities/credibility obviously messed up; cheating on the long term wife and then turning around and crying about it. Please. Can't beleive nothing he say or do at that point anyways.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:33 PM

39 posts, read 135,444 times
Despite everything, I think his affairs were nothing more than a meaningless side action. His wife was number one, the mother of his children and come on, 54 years is 54 years no matter how much of a sleaze he might have been.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:40 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
I don't know if that has been brought up, but what if it was the wife who had several (dozens?) of men on the side over the years and she was crying at his funeral? Somehow I suspect heartless, gold digger would be at the forefront rather than he was her number one, etc.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:42 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't know if that has been brought up, but what if it was the wife who had several (dozens?) of men on the side over the years and she was crying at his funeral? Somehow I suspect heartless, gold digger would be at the forefront rather than he was her number one, etc.
Yep!

Old 10-27-2012, 04:46 PM

39 posts, read 135,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
So what? Most women here didn't exactly gave him compliments as well...so what's your point? Female self-pity?

Old 10-27-2012, 05:14 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,286,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMQC View Post
Yes, I know that. That shouldn't mean a free pass for him to have affairs.
It definitely doesn't give anyone the green light; however, it's a conversation that could have occurred and she was ok with him sleeping with other women. Maybe the trade off of being taken care of and a stay at home Mom, was better than what life had in store with the possibility of being alone....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships