Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 05:12 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times

Advertisements

I'll be the first logical person to say that there shouldnt really be any extra 'feelings' for childhood sweethearts or HS sweethearts because its just two random people thrown together by geography and where their parents just happened to live. But, i have to say that there's a special 'pull' towards this type of relationship in my mind.

Does anyone have any experience with dating or marrying a childhood crush, ya know, the first person who caught your eye in first grade (or in HS) and is there a 'special' bond that you feel you have with that person that might be different than what you have or had with someone who didnt grow up in your town and in your schooling system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 05:39 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
You know what, this thread actually has my brain ticking. When I was in grade school in CT, there was a girl I was friends with and both our families were very close. I moved to NY and never heard from her again until recently on Facebook where she sent me a message and told me how she had been thinking about me and something was pulling her to find me.

Perhaps I should respond to her and see what happens. She's quite a beautiful woman now.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:08 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
It's definitely more than geography. It's special.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:33 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
You shouldn't have any special feelings for your family, with that reasoning, since genetics/chance has just thrown you together randomly.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:36 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You shouldn't have any special feelings for your family, with that reasoning, since genetics/chance has just thrown you together randomly.
Dafuq?

Old 12-23-2012, 06:40 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
The first girl that caught my eye stabbed me with a pencil in the 3rd grade. I stil got the piece of led in my hand all these years later. Years later I met some girl wearing a pink dress that I was crazy for I was 8. Lived near her for about a year & that was it we traveled so much that I didn't get close to anyone. So maybe location has something to do with it.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:59 PM

861 posts, read 1,455,913 times
My wife and I have been together since we were in the sixth grade. But we became play boyfriend and girlfriend from the first to the third grade. We would talk about getting married one day then we "broke up"in the fifth grade. However we still had romantic feelings for each other. She would get really jealous whenever I was around another girl then we officially became a couple in the sixth grade. I always knew from the first grade that we were going to get married one day. We're both 21 now and we got married at 18.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:34 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,119,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Dafuq?
I concor. What are you implying here my friend?

Old 12-23-2012, 11:14 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
I'll be the first logical person to say that there shouldnt really be any extra 'feelings' for childhood sweethearts or HS sweethearts because its just two random people thrown together by geography and where their parents just happened to live. But, i have to say that there's a special 'pull' towards this type of relationship in my mind.

Does anyone have any experience with dating or marrying a childhood crush, ya know, the first person who caught your eye in first grade (or in HS) and is there a 'special' bond that you feel you have with that person that might be different than what you have or had with someone who didnt grow up in your town and in your schooling system?
I don't but I know you read my thread about 9th grade algebra girl who's been on my mind lately (you commented in the thread)

These people just stick with you sometimes. Of course it's just chance and geography as far as that goes, but the period in your life when you knew them is what makes them special. You grow up and start seeing the world through "grown up" eyes and you're naturally not ever as affected by people as you are when you're younger. (ie; teen years, maybe early 20's when you're in college.)

Why? Got somebody on your mind too?

Old 12-23-2012, 11:30 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post

I married the woman I started dating as a freshman in high school. We're 36 now. It's pretty amazing. I didn't start to really appreciate it until just a few years ago. She and I went to high school together, college together, moved from California to Idaho to Washington to Virginia to Colorado to Georgia together. We still gossip about people we had in common in high school. She's FB friends with my first girlfriend (whom she knew in third grade). I remember her parents when they were closer to the age we are now than the age they are now. They are simply mom and dad. Her younger sisters feel just as much like sisters to me as my blood sisters. I remember them when they were sucking their thumbs and in diapers. I remember their first boyfriends, their proms, etc. She helped me bury both of my parents. Even though my dad died when we were 19, he knew her and loved her like a daughter. She remembers that and knows how important he was to me. I haven't spoken to my brother on a regular basis since I was 16 (he turned out to be a druggie). She remembers him and knows what a huge influence he had on me as a child. I couldn't imagine life without her. She knows me better than anyone ever could at this point, and I her. I feel like she's more a part of me than my bones and blood. Keeping her close and happy is the absolute number one priority in my life. So yeah, it's a special bond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships