Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,739,181 times

Advertisements

Most of them don't even look like they're marriage material anyways. If they can get a bunch of women and create a revolving door out of them sexually, why should they get married? IMO, these men today have figured out they don't have to put much effort into some of these women to get what they want at the end of the day -- so why bother doing the unnecessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,217,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Most of them don't even look like they're marriage material anyways. If they can get a bunch of women and create a revolving door out of them sexually, why should they get married? IMO, these men today have figured out they don't have to put much effort into some of these women to get what they want at the end of the day -- so why bother doing the unnecessary.

The same way women eat their way out of the dating pool. Right?

Old 01-03-2013, 12:31 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,199,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Love, companionship, children.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:38 PM

272 posts, read 621,220 times
There are probably 1,000 men in America today who want marriage. The rest figured out that it's a waste of time. Responsible men don't need a state-blessed relationship to pay the bills, take care of their children and other responsibilities.

Marriage is a real as Santa Claus.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 PM

20,043 posts, read 13,507,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
They are stuck with someone that at first was on the same page, they made the mistake of living together and suddenly they become another ''forever live-in gf''.
I am a forever-live-in-bf and I don't care that I am. I am that guy who would prefer to be married with a woman who prefers not to be. Given that we're empty nesters plus the government incentivizes us to remain unmarried (we're both widowed and will be eligible for survivor's benefits from social security provided we're still single at age 60 or so), what's the point.

I identify my gf as my wife because it's easier to explain to random strangers and it's true in every way (including in between my ears) except the legal technicality. She gets to imagine that she's not that deep into the relationship and can easily end it whenever she feels a little claustrophobic, but the truth is beyond a certain point it's just as much of a PITA and emotional drain to disengage from any serious relationship regardless of what's on paper or not on paper. In some ways it's worse if it's unofficial because there's no framework to decide what explicit or implied commitments exist between the parties.

I think people make way too much of state-sanctioned marriage, which has the odd effect that even I would feel I "need" it if I were still of child-conceiving / raising age. I would not put the stigma of "illegitimacy" on any child. Still, it's mostly an illusion that relationships are less impermanent just because they're solemnized. If the love is gone and you stay together out of obligation, it's just a gilded cage anyway. It's much like the illusion that a "real" job is somehow more "secure" than a consulting / contracting gig. There is no such thing as employer loyalty (or employee loyalty, as a result) anymore. Similarly, the presence or absence of official marriage changes nothing about the loyalty, devotion and commitment in a person's heart, their motivations, etc.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,204,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Love, companionship, children.
THIS. I feel the same way.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:47 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,284,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
THIS. I feel the same way.
SAME. Couldn't have put it better.

So I guess we're 3 out of 1000 according to that genius ^three posts above. Don't you feel really special? Girls should be knocking down our doors to get to those few guys who'll put a ring on it.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:57 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,781,359 times
Oh god don't be one of those single guys that NEVER wants to get married, but goes around calling his girlfriend "Wife". I've got a friend that does this, and people always say "OMG when did you guys get married" and then he has to say well we didn't and everybody feels stupid.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:58 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,699,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
Oh god don't be one of those single guys that NEVER wants to get married, but goes around calling his girlfriend "Wife". I've got a friend that does this, and people always say "OMG when did you guys get married" and then he has to say well we didn't and everybody feels stupid.
I know right? If I wanted to call her "Wife" then I would marry her. She is my girlfriend or partner. That is it.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:06 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,768,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I am a forever-live-in-bf and I don't care that I am. I am that guy who would prefer to be married with a woman who prefers not to be. Given that we're empty nesters plus the government incentivizes us to remain unmarried (we're both widowed and will be eligible for survivor's benefits from social security provided we're still single at age 60 or so), what's the point.

I identify my gf as my wife because it's easier to explain to random strangers and it's true in every way (including in between my ears) except the legal technicality. She gets to imagine that she's not that deep into the relationship and can easily end it whenever she feels a little claustrophobic, but the truth is beyond a certain point it's just as much of a PITA and emotional drain to disengage from any serious relationship regardless of what's on paper or not on paper. In some ways it's worse if it's unofficial because there's no framework to decide what explicit or implied commitments exist between the parties.

I think people make way too much of state-sanctioned marriage, which has the odd effect that even I would feel I "need" it if I were still of child-conceiving / raising age. I would not put the stigma of "illegitimacy" on any child. Still, it's mostly an illusion that relationships are less impermanent just because they're solemnized. If the love is gone and you stay together out of obligation, it's just a gilded cage anyway. It's much like the illusion that a "real" job is somehow more "secure" than a consulting / contracting gig. There is no such thing as employer loyalty (or employee loyalty, as a result) anymore. Similarly, the presence or absence of official marriage changes nothing about the loyalty, devotion and commitment in a person's heart, their motivations, etc.
The bolded text indicates one situation where living together in place of an official marriage makes a sense. I think it sucks that older folks are often placed in this position often and have to choose survival or making their love (legally) official.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships