Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 03:25 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,929,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
I agree with all of your points, but I'll throw in one caveat.

- I'm absolutely for equality of chores unless 1 person isn't working. I don't just speak this, I've lived it, usually doing more than an equal share. When someone isn't working, it's a fair trade to handle the chores while the other person works. No one should get alimony for chores after a divorce, the chores were "earning their way" in exchange for the luxury of not having to work or pay bills.
I agree with you and yes feel that if one person isn't working then their job is working inside the home. Doesn't matter if it's a woman or a man. I have known cases where one person wasn't working and he other person would come home and still cook dinner, and these were both women and men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 03:28 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,630,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And all laws on the books, magically, are followed? If that were true, lawyers would be almost completely obsolete.
This kind of discrimination is extremely hard to cover up, employers are afraid to sneeze on law suit happy females these days. What is employer' gain in discriminating against females in such an obvious fashion? They love their male employees so much, please.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:28 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,894,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
The last messages reminded me Peggy Bundy (from Married with Children) who has heard on Oprah that housewives deserve 70k/year for their labors. Even more amusing there are real university clowns out there whose "studies" have come up with estimates as high as 110k/year.
It's a nice mental exercise to calculate these costs, but I'm sure these studies overlook that someone IS paying them with food, shelter, clothing, and whatever else they need. I've run the numbers, and it would be less expensive in the long run for me to hire out all of these tasks than to have a housewife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I agree with you and yes feel that if one person isn't working then their job is working inside the home. Doesn't matter if it's a woman or a man. I have known cases where one person wasn't working and he other person would come home and still cook dinner, and these were both women and men.
No one should put up with a scenario of both people working and one doing all of the chores or one person not working and the other still coming home to do the chores. I have been in both scenarios and didn't allow it for long.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 PM

102,417 posts, read 108,779,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Or maybe a woman with primary custody of her children can't put in the long hours at work the way her ex-husband, who has them every other weekend, can. And women spend a lot of money not on themselves, but on their husbands and children, buying clothes and household goods for the entire family. Taking the kids to buy new shoes isn't exactly vain.
I can't believe someone actually believed that women are targeted by advertising because "women are more afflicted by materialism"!

Another day on C-D.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,717,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Multiple citations requested
Going by my experience in male dominated professions for the past decade.

You can google it too. It's not hard.

As for the women thing...the materialistic, high maintenance women I grew up with NEVER had an issue finding men who wanted to date them.

Myself, another mechanic friend, my welder friend and a few others who were low maintenance (but still went to the gym, did our hair/makeup etc. regularly, so we weren't butch by any means) have always had difficulty finding men who will date us. I think most men WANT and DESIRE the 'damsel in distress' women that don't have much ambition. It's amazing how quickly men would disappear once they found out what I did for a living or how much money I made.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:32 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,595,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
I've noted this mindset in many guys where having the husband having a job is touted as if it's some great achievement while the wife is some nagging shrew who wants all the benefits with none of the work.
**shaking head @ laptop***

A man earning a living is DIFFERENT then a woman earning a living because the standards that men have to achieve, and constantly achieve, is set much higher in addition to the fact that we have no other person to fall back to when something goes wrong. For example, a man can't say, "well, I'm going to drop out of Law school but I know Sally will marry and take care of me anyway."

Take female sports, many of the pro female track athletes are angry that the male pro athletes make far more money then they do. The thing is, none of the women would take in consideration that the males run sub 9 seconds in the 100m opposed to their 11 second 100m sprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
Seems these guys are overlooking most households are two-income so generally the wife also has a job and does most of the household and childcare duties.
In 2013, more men are working longer hours then men in the past because they are married to women who do not cook, clean, or take care of the kids.

In other words, men today not only have to work outside the home and maintain their traditional gender role, but they have to come home and clean, change diapers, and cook meals because either their women are at work, or their wives flat out refuse to do anything but watch TV and eat ice cream.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's amazing how quickly men would disappear once they found out what I did for a living or how much money I made.
Really? What about men in your field? Maybe you weren't meeting men who were peers....? This deserves its own thread. (For a refreshing change from the "gold-digger" threads...)

Old 01-07-2013, 03:34 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,717,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
This kind of discrimination is extremely hard to cover up, employers are afraid to sneeze on law suit happy females these days. What is employer' gain in discriminating against females in such an obvious fashion? They love their male employees so much, please.
Actually, it's extremely easy to cover up, especially in right-to-work states. Add to that the fact that most employee handbooks say if you talk about salary or pay you'll be fired, and that most things are kept confidential and are NOT written down.

Plus, it's usually one persons word against another.

They don't 'love' their male employees more, it's that male managers are more likely to give their 'favorites' raises and higher pay grades while females like me were seen as a nuisance and ruining the manly atmosphere in their business.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
In other words, men today not only have to work outside the home and maintain their traditional gender role, but they have to come home and clean, change diapers, and cook meals because either their women are at work, or their wives flat out refuse to do anything but watch TV and eat ice cream.
Now this is one tall tale that does require documentation! This is hilarious! Let me borrow a line from filihok: "Citations, please"?

Old 01-07-2013, 03:36 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,807,487 times
Default Just curious but why

Why are we discussing child support here as it does not pertain to marriage but a child. A man or womyn has to pay child support if they were never married, or if it was just a one night stand. Have yall not read the post where a sperm donor, a real sperm donor who donated his sperm so a couple could have a child is not being dragged through court for child support because they said he did not go through the correct procedures in order to be expunged of caring for the child. So child support is irrelevant in this case, because if a guy decides he has no reason to marry and he wants to have a child with two womyn because they allow him, he will still have to take care of those children and pay child support if they decide to put him on it. Have yall not heard about the guy that had 32 children and he went to court to ask if they could lighten his child support payments because he did not have enough money to live himself; his check was going to all of his children and baby mothers.

That should be a reason to get married right there right guys? You don't have to pay child support because you both are in the house, taking care of the little tyke, hence no child support! I guess yall lost that argument. Cheaper to keep her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships