Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 12:34 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
And that's what's you've seen. I was stating what I've seen, heard and personally experienced. And again, wasn't talking at all about high school boys anyways.
The list of men who don't find me attractive is far, far longer than the list of those who do. Surely I would have experienced this at least once in my life, especially since I am 42 years old, if this were typical. I am very interested in hearing an example of whatyou personally have experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 12:34 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusT01 View Post
My main concern is how good she is at sex and how frequently she wants it. But of course there are many other factors to consider and I can't be 100% on how my brain works. But hey that's just me. You are right a lot of men (myself included) seem to initially choose a woman they approach on looks mainly, and they may not even be aware that they are doing it in some cases as we are subconsciously influenced by appearance.

Sounds like whoever she is she'd be auditioning for a role as top hooker in your life . Typical but not at all surprised this is some man's 'main concern.' In fact this is similar to most of the responses I got when I (very foolishly) thought men were worth pursuing many years ago.

I didn't say men should or shouldn't approach a woman based on looks, has nothing at all to do with what I said. And they're going to do that anyways. I'm not going to repeat again what I did actually say.....

Old 01-05-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
The list of men who don't find me attractive is far, far longer than the list of those who do. Surely I would have experienced this at least once in my life, especially since I am 42 years old, if this were typical. I am very interested in hearing an example of whatyou personally have experienced.

You having never experienced this once in your entire life, somewhere in the world does not negate the fact that I, JetJockey and many other grown women have. I don't know why you think one would equate to the other in the first place. We don't know each other. JetJockey often talks about her examples, I don't know how you managed to miss those. By the way I am 32 not 15 nor in high school anymore.

I have given examples of my personal experience on here in dealing with this type of thing in the fashion section about some of the doctors I work with and the ways in which they treat a particular very attractive woman from a nearby office. Also, I have talked about it in this section concerning men who approached me saying rude, degrading things after being rejected. If you wish to go look either of those up, knock yourself out. (I have not been approached often but I prefer for them not to approach me nowadays because of how they are & past negative interactions).

But you asked for examples: I used to eat at a little cafe nearby our off campus apt. when I was about 22 or 23. Mostly I would go in there for cinnamon buns and coffee. There was a group of men sitting near a table I chose. One of these men asked me if I knew how many fat calories are in a cinnamon bun of that size. I said no and he said "well you might want to look into that." He and two other ones snickered & laughed. Obviously I assumed they were making fun of my weight (which is much smaller then it is now). Other people heard them. I got my books and bag and left the bun on the table, got the heck out of there, I felt humiliated. I have also had a group of men drive by me in a car when I was out walking my dog on a side road (I'm talking many years ago) and yell "get out of the road ni*ger hahaha!). That dog has since died and I have another but that's not the point. I can name on one hand the number of times someone has called me the 'n' word to my face and I remember all of them. I have had a male friend call me thunder thighs and thought it was a joke....These are some of the reasons I will literally avoid and cross the street where there are groups of men gathered.

I do realize from the vibe of your post I could say almost anything and you still wouldn't beleive my experiences and if you can't comprehend these small things -- you certainly wouldn't beleive many other things that I'm unwilling to discuss at all. I'm fine with that though, such is life.....

Old 01-05-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
You having never experienced this once in your entire life, somewhere in the world does not negate the fact that I, JetJockey and many other grown women have. I don't know why you think one would equate to the other in the first place. We don't know each other. JetJockey often talks about her examples, I don't know how you managed to miss those. By the way I am 32 not 15 nor in high school anymore.

I have given examples of my personal experience on here in dealing with this type of thing in the fashion section about some of the doctors I work with and the ways in which they treat a particular very attractive woman from a nearby office. Also, I have talked about it in this section concerning men who approached me saying rude, degrading things after being rejected. If you wish to go look either of those up, knock yourself out. (I have not been approached often but I prefer for them not to approach me nowadays because of how they are & past negative interactions).
You have such an extreme chip on your shoulder mixed with that "it's all about me" thing that so many people have. I am not out to get you. I recall none of your posts outside of what is on this thread. You aren't a CD celebrity. I have spoken with JetJockey here but I don't follow her around the board, so no, I have not seen those posts either.

Quote:
But you asked for examples: I used to eat at a little cafe nearby our off campus apt. when I was about 22 or 23. Mostly I would go in there for cinnamon buns and coffee. There was a group of men sitting near a table I chose. One of these men asked me if I knew how many fat calories are in a cinnamon bun of that size. I said no and he said "well you might want to look into that." He and two other ones there snickered & laughed. Obviously I assumed they were making fun of my weight (which is much smaller then it is now). Other people heard them. I got my books and bag and left the bun on the table, got the heck out of there, I felt humiliated. I have also had a group of men drive by me in a car when I was out walking my dog on a side road (I'm talking many years ago) and yell "get out of the road ni*ger hahaha!). That dog has since died and I have another but that's not the point. I can name on one hand the number of times someone has called me the 'n' word to my face and I remember all of them. I have had a male friend call me thunder thighs and thought it was a joke....These are some of the reasons I will literally avoid and cross the street where there are groups of men gathered.
I admit I have never been fat before so I have no idea what that is like. Maybe guys say stuff like that to overweight women all of the time -- if so, that sucks. But isn't it time to get on with your life instead of crying about something that happened 10 years ago? (22 is barely out of high school, by the way.) You are wasting away a precious gift.

I have been called the N word multiple times, probably more so than you. (I grew up surrounded by white people in the middle of the country and often went weeks without interacting with blacks.) That is racism, has nothing to do with attractiveness. Suck it up and get on with it.

Quote:
I do realize from the vibe of your post I could say almost anything and you still wouldn't beleive my experiences and if you can't comprehend these small things -- you certainly wouldn't beleive many other things that I'm unwilling to discuss at all. I'm fine with that though, such is life.....
This victim status deal you are clinging to - does it make you happy? It is a new year. Maybe if you didn't walk around with this major chip and with a sourpuss, suspicious look on your face, you would be happier. You would find plenty of men who actually like you if you weren't so bitter and mean.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusT01 View Post
We all do, it's a fact. It is NEVER "solely based on appearance" but in the context of the situation at hand (human brains are not capable of digesting information as you've described) The only problem is you don't realize you are doing it, you are only aware of it when you observe others doing it. It's subconsciousness, how the brain is wired. I don't realize I'm doing it either, but I do it. It would take an enormous amount of energy to act a different way than my body is telling me 24/7. The facial expressions ect.

Mistreatment is in the eyes of the beholder. Obviously you think you haven't mistreated someone intentionally or unintentionally in your job or whatever. Unless you can't see the person your reactions are subconsciously influenced to a degree by the appearance of that person in the context of the situation at hand.

I admit we are probably more critical but I'm not sure, I can't support that claim with research, but what does that matter? Does that make us less of a human being? Should we be ashamed that we are different? The thread that first captured my attention was about women's personalities, so there are some. You just rule them out completely. I don't want to join the club, although I feel like you've already lumped me in some sort of category.

A few simple examples of someone being influenced by appearance to treat someone differently to consolidate my point:

1. Have you ever been intimidated by someones behavior, facial expressions and been cautious in the way you spoke to them?

2. Have you ever been to a hospital and seen people with deformities or cancer and they are upset and treated them with more empathy than usual?

My point is it is far more complex than "based solely on appearance" the context of the situation forms biases that we subconsciously react to.

I am a man and I'm not ashamed to be, is that a problem for you?

What's your point? Why are you giving us blokes a hard time?
I never said I never mistreated anyone in life. Please read that again.

Also, if you are a man and proud of it, wonderful. No you should not be ashamed that your brain is 'wired' differently. But don't try and tell me men 'never' do these types of things or act as if they are so above it all -- because they're not. The general vibe on here seems to be "oh a man would never do XYZ, he must've be in high school!!"

Most of the time they leave me alone but some of the time in the past they haven't. "My point" was participating in the thread and saying such.

Anyway, I want to take it back to the OP of this guy dating a girl who was overweight. I don't know why burgler is thinking about that. If she used to use drugs or was a hooker or something to that affect I could get it, but this no, I don't get it. If he thinks she's fat or will get fat again he should get rid of her and be done with it already.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
You have such an extreme chip on your shoulder mixed with that "it's all about me" thing that so many people have. I am not out to get you. I recall none of your posts outside of what is on this thread. You aren't a CD celebrity. I have spoken with JetJockey here but I don't follow her around the board, so no, I have not seen those posts either.

I admit I have never been fat before so I have no idea what that is like. Maybe guys say stuff like that to overweight women all of the time -- if so, that sucks. But isn't it time to get on with your life instead of crying about something that happened 10 years ago? You are wasting away a precious gift.

I have been called the N word multiple times, probably more so than you. (I grew up surrounded by white people in the middle of the country and often went weeks without interacting with blacks.) That is racism, has nothing to do with attractiveness. Suck it up and get on with it.

This victim status deal you are clinging to - does it make you happy? It is a new year. Maybe if you didn't walk around with this major chip and with a sourpuss, suspicious look on your face, you would be happier. You would find plenty of men who actually like you if you weren't so bitter and mean.

You ASKED me for examples, remember that? LOL. I gave you some and told you where to look for others -- that's not being a "CD celebrity" or whatever you call it. I would venture to guess that MANY posters here remember JetJockey talking about her personal experiences with being bullied by men, thus, not requiring her having to be followed around the board. If you don't -- then so be it. I am sure there are 'overweight women' who have never had anything at all said to them about it by men -- but they're not me and I'm not them.

I am not 'crying' about it but like I told that other poster, why read about things 'men would never do!' but yet I have experienced them doing. If it's okay for women on here to talk about the myriad of amazing experiences they have had with men, I can certainly do the opposite. That's the way this thing works called a forum. And not for nothing didn't I say in the last part you would go exactly where you went? LOL. Talking about what you've been through doesn't equal 'playing a victim,' last time I checked, maybe it does to you, I don't know and don't care.

I don't look for men to 'actually like me,' in fact if you knew me, you'd know I rarely say anything at all to them outside of work. I mind my own buisness. Don't worry about my level of happiness or enjoyment in life, it's not your concern.

Last but not least: you have never seen my face, so reserve telling me what it looks like on any given day.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
You ASKED me for examples, remember that? LOL. I gave you some and told you where to look for others -- that's not being a "CD celebrity" or whatever you call it. I would venture to guess that MANY posters here remember JetJockey talking about her personal experiences with being bullied by men, thus, not requiring her having to be followed around the board. If you don't -- then so be it. I am sure there are 'overweight women' who have never had anything at all said to them about it by men -- but they're not me and I'm not them.

I am not 'crying' about it but like I told that other poster, why read about things 'men would never do!' but yet I have experienced them doing. If it's okay for women on here to talk about the myriad of amazing experiences they have had with men, I can certainly do the opposite. That's the way this thing works called a forum. And not for nothing didn't I say in the last part you would go exactly where you went? LOL. Talking about what you've been through doesn't equal 'playing a victim,' last time I checked, maybe it does to you, I don't know and don't care.

I don't look for men to 'actually like me,' in fact if you knew me, you'd know I rarely say anything at all to them outside of work. I mind my own buisness. Don't worry about my level of happiness or enjoyment in life, it's not your concern.

Last but not least: you have never seen my face, so reserve telling me what it looks like on any given day.
When a person has to go back 10 years to find an example of how men are always treating her badly, it is a safe bet that she doesn't walk around with a smiling or otherwise pleasant face.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
When a person has to go back 10 years to find an example of how men are always treating her badly, it is a safe bet that she doesn't walk around with a smiling or otherwise pleasant face.

You missed the part where I said 'things I don't wish to go into where these matters are concerned' and I don't. I have also said repeatedly for the most part men leave me alone, you asked for examples, plain and simple and that's what you got. If you want to put a time frame on it after the fact, that's not surprising in the least LOL.

The only thing that's a safe bet here is you don't know what my face looks like. I have A.S. I don't often show any kind of expression besides a blank type one. I know this because I know what my face looks like whereas you don't have any idea besides what you think you know. Last time I checked it's not a requirement in life to walk around smiling. If you do, that's your buisness.

Lets leave it at that & go back to the OP b/c you and I have nothing else to discuss on the topic.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter002 View Post
Well, they're allowed to respond with that "ehhh no thanks" behavior. If women are allowed to do it, there's no harm in men doing the same so long as there is no outright disrespect. Life's not fair. Live with it

Yes they are allowed to do that, no law forbidding them. I was talking about outright disrespect when they do reject the women not otherwise. Burgler met this woman and claims to be interested in her, but appears he's not as concerned about her now, as he is with what she looked like in the past weight wise and the possibility she could go back to that. If he feels that way he should just find someone else then.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:46 PM

691 posts, read 1,427,325 times
Quote:

Because you post the same damn thing over and over again. Have you ever made a post that isn't some whiny slam on men in general?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships