Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 10:54 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

will you call them racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,811 times
Personal preference.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:57 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
I think they may be unwilling to have an openmind.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:57 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Not racist, but probably not very bright either. With all the lovely races and ethnicities out there, how can you claim to only be attracted to one?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:01 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
This isn't racist. Every one has physical preferences.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,672,411 times
x+x=redundancy.
I think they favor the redundant.
Nothing wrong with redundant.
It comes with a sense of certainty.
It's a false sense, but a sense nontheless.
I can't blame a person for falling victim to their senses.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 PM

468 posts, read 553,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Nope.

I also think it's stupid to call them "close-minded". You cannot just force yourself to do something that is incompatible with your nature/disposition. And finding people attractive does not necessarily mean they are good candidates for relationships. It's natural to seek your own race and it makes a LOT of things easier for many people.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
NO!

It's called follow what your pituitary gland tells you. When I was about 5 or 6, we were living overseas. There were these sisters who lived a few streets away. I asked one of them to come over. She said she couldn't (I don't think she wanted to, actually), but that her twin sister would. The bottom line is that the sister I asked was the fair skinned one and the one who came over was the olive skinned one. My parents NEVER said anything to me about the differentiation of skin tones and the anthropological implications of our ethnicity. That was just the one I asked to come over. At that age, you don't analyze things much.

Therefore, I get tired of this "gotta love everybody" argument. I say: whatever makes your third leg work (well, if you're a guy).

However, if you limit your friendships by virtue of race, then I would say that borders on being racist.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:14 PM

811 posts, read 550,720 times
I wouldn't guess they were racist only based off that unless they revealed other signs. Nor would I think of them as "not very bright". What I am further about to say I am applying to dating and marriage only not friendship and acquaintances.

Personally, I think the chances of a relationship lasting are higher when both are of the same race. To me similarities and things in common are big parts of a relationship that are good, and race is a big part due to the further ethnic cultural baclgrounds that it includes and being from very different ones leads to some difficulties Id say. As a black male I dated a few white women, and a few hispanic but it didn't last long, any. General conversations worked but certain jokes and references weren't caught. Later the longest relationship was with a girl of the same ethnicity. Our conversations went smoother she caught jokes I made when referencing popular black movies and other things that we talked about. We both spoke the same language of our culture even though we're first generation American and other things like that sharing the same customs helped. It ended for other reasons.

I actually am more possible to giving the side-eye to those who exclusively date outside their race. I feel they usually aren't genuine with their feelings towards the person and just that theyre dating somene thats a different race is only important to them. Again, as a black male for example today amd even when I was younger most of the other black men I knew who dated white women fit into 3 categories:
1. They were ghetto and wanted to have a "snowbunny" under their arms to feel a sense of higher class
2. Their own self hatred of being black and like many other factors, distancing themselves from the race is any way included dating a white women/woman of race besides black
3. They actually genuinely likedthe girl /woman and they connected but she just happened to be the race she was.

I am not exclusively keeping this only to these 2 races but have seen this more and can speak from experience. And yes it goes both ways.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
I have a lighter skinned black friend who would only date white women, preferably blondes, and as his clock was ticking, he finally settled on a brunette when he couldn't bag a blonde.

Aside from the parents, that preference seemed to be the norm in their family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships