Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 08:30 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,719 times

Advertisements

In what style of communication does your 2-4 month or maybe longer, but not 'I love you' stage relationship. You have or haven't defined exclusivity, but spend the night at least once during the week, and are spending the weekend together.

Phone call ? Text ? Face to face sit down? (email ) ?

I am trying to make this general, to get more responses.
But definitely no 'I love you' has occurred.

Are you even upset when it ends ?

For example, If you get the text message heave ho, do you care ?
Also, regardless if you are the dumper, or dumpee, I am curious.
If you left an overnight bag, and you know you have to eventually swing by to pick it up, does that change how you handle the situation? Vs an email message break up, knowing you NEVER have to see that person again potentially?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 08:39 AM

180 posts, read 479,658 times
Always face to face. Last year I broke it off at 4 months with a guy I knew wasn't LTR material. We spent weekends together, no "I love you", but he was trying to get me to commit to something more serious. I went over to grab my overnight stuff and just told him that I wanted to break it off. I wasn't upset because I personally wasn't emotionally invested but he took it really hard.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:45 AM

218 posts, read 483,587 times
[quote=flpyrner;27702441]Always face to face. quote]
Totally agree! I dated a guy for about two months when I reaized that I did not want to get to know him anymore. He was an Eeyore (from Winnie the Pooh) and that became exhausting. I was not upset at all, I was pretty indifferent which is why I knew I needed to end things.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:50 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
In what style of communication does your 2-4 month or maybe longer, but not 'I love you' stage relationship. You have or haven't defined exclusivity, but spend the night at least once during the week, and are spending the weekend together.
Gee, I had to oil up some rusty hinges in my brain to think about this. It has been a long time, but looking back to the 90s, it seems that most of them were phone calls, although there were a couple of times when someone did something so wrong that I said, "Let's go home" and dumped him when we got there. I never left things of value at anyone's house until we'd been together longer than that, so there is no reason to swing by and get stuff. Go ahead and throw out the toothbrush and hairspray.

Obviously, if I have to go all the way back to the mid-90s and earlier, text and email don't apply. I'd think I would still do the phone call now in that situation, or again, if he did something ridiculously wrong on a date, face-to-face.

But honestly? Looking back on it, I didn't have a lot of those mid-termer relationships. With me, it's either playing the field or it's an LTR. Basically, I date around until one really stands out and we decide to make a go of it.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:58 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,084 times
They just stopped talking to me.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,798 times
I was dumped over the phone, and I did it to someone face to face

Old 01-10-2013, 11:06 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Telling a man the two of you need to stop seeing each other seems to hurt them more than telling them you've agreed to begin seeing someone you used to be involved with. That he called you and that's what you've agreed to do. It has nothing to do with the person you want to stop dating, you say. I used this ploy more than once and it worked perfectly each time.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:48 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,214,431 times
I got dumped via aol messenger once which was fun. But I preferred it to actually meeting in person. At least then I didn't have to go anywhere.

Regardless of who it was and length of the relationship, every breakup hurt. I've always dived head first into these relationships and it's often led to hurt feelings.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:20 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
I've had a series of month long "relationships" that ended in fade outs. It was mostly me doing the fading, but it went both ways. I just hate the idea of mega awkward encounters in person.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:06 PM

633 posts, read 724,141 times
The guy I dated for 4 months I met on pof, we broke it off via yahoo messenger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships