Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaLLama View Post
I understand what you're saying but from my experience this simply doesn't happen as often.

When I was younger I worked several nightclubs close to a miltary base & when the guy go TDY (temporary duty assignment) thier wifes/GF hit the clubs BIG time looking for some strange!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 PM

62 posts, read 385,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
When I was younger I worked several nightclubs close to a miltarty base & when the guy go TDY (temporary duty assignment) thier wifes/GF hit the clubs BIG time looking for some strange!
Yes I've seen this as well.. I think that's why I have such a horrible thought of it all..

And to those that asked if I can trust myself: yes.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:01 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Ever heard of the "Dear John Letter"? This is very common. I believe it's more common than soldiers who cheat on their GF's (just due to logistics making it harder for soldiers to cheat).

Old 01-10-2013, 08:09 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What about you? Can you control yourself? Are you planning to be celibate the entire time you're deployed? How long will that be, btw? Is paying for sex to let of steam considered "cheating"? Relationships are built on mutual trust.
You've watched Top Gun (or any other 80's movie about the military) too many times

Old 01-10-2013, 08:11 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,129,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
You've watched Top Gun (or any other 80's movie about the military) too many times
If he gets married then hopefully.

Adultery is a violation of the UCMJ.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:11 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,222,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaLLama View Post
How many of you have heard or know about these stories? What is the reason do you think this happens most of the time? Because most military 'kids' get married for the benefits young and then deploy without having 'had' anything with that person in their hearts? Or is it because the girlfriend may get caught up 'in the moment' and do the deed? Is it because there were problems with the relationship to begin with and it was bound to end sooner or later?

I'm in the military and I love my girlfriend, she's in college, I'm obviously going to deploy sooner or later (already have a few times but not with a significant other back home) and although I trust her, the thought of 'college, parties, alcohol' destroy me about "what could happen" while I'm gone. She has quit an extensive past with having 'been around' (though never cheating on a bf) and I believe she has got that out of her system so to speak and she's done with that lifestyle.. but at the same time in the back of my mind it's just the "what if" aspect of things that bother me.. Mainly the college, parties, alcohol side of things. She knows how to control herself drinking but who knows.. after so much time of me being gone she might drink more than normal one night and maybe some guy will try to get with her and she'll let it happen.

Am I thinking worst case scenario? Or am I 'okay' to be thinking this? Do you only hear about cheating girlfriends of deployed boyfriends/husbands because that's the only news anyone wants to hear? (the bad news)

Simply, do I have any valid thoughts or worries? Would I know and be confident that nothing will happen if I 'truly' loved her? (I think I do but maybe then I wouldn't be having these thoughts if I really did)
I'm in the military too. Just the other day, the (ridiculously hot) wife of one of the enlisted guys under me (I'm an officer) wanted to "catch up with drinks"...even though we barely know each other (ie: she wants to f*ck).

I told my boss about this (we're really close) and he said that this is normal.

So, yeah, there's your answer.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,222,643 times
Quote:
Top Gun is awesome (my nickname used to be Maverick actually ).

Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 PM

272 posts, read 620,866 times
You can never be too sure of how a mate will conduct their behavior when the other is deployed. It's probably best to cut things off, because she will become vulnerable in your absence. It takes a unique woman with a strong backbone to ward of the feelings of loneliness, advances from men, etc.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:34 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldl79 View Post
You can never be too sure of how a mate will conduct their behavior when the other is deployed. It's probably best to cut things off, because she will become vulnerable in your absence. It takes a unique woman with a strong backbone to ward of the feelings of loneliness, advances from men, etc.
What is takes is a woman who is madly in love with you.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:41 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
I don't watch military movies. I'm just realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships