Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:58 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times

Advertisements

A lot of men hit the gym because they think it will make them more attractive to women. To some extent, I am sure it does. But my own experience has been a bit different.

I took up power lifting some years back because I enjoyed it and felt it was a physical activity I could actually stick with. As a result of this training, I have become a husky, strong-looking guy. And while I've enjoyed some social advantages as a result, they are not at all what I expected.

I thought women would swoon over me once I became physically fit. They didn't. At least, women didn't seem any more attracted to me than they would to any guy who was generally fit. What did change, however, is that OTHER MEN STOPPED BOTHERING ME.

Before I got big, I would be hassled now and then by other men. Not beaten up or anything, but teased, mocked and otherwise disrespected in petty ways. That completely stopped once I bulked up. I mean, stopped 100%. Overnight. It's not that I think I intimidate anybody. I just think I no longer look like an easy target for guys seeking to puff themselves up at someone else's expense.

It seems the main advantage of being fit is not that women will adore you, but that other men will respect you more. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 10:02 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,675 times
It's most likely your attitude that changed. I notice that when guys get really into working out, they get more confident and subconsciously display that they'll no longer take sh*t from people.

I'm not a big guy, but people don't mess with me either....ever. I'm pretty sure it's the vibe I give off. They know better.

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
If you expect women to flock to you just because you have muscles, you're an idiot. I have a good build but by no means am I all that muscular. Women like the fact that I am confident when I speak and when I carry a conversation and they like the fact that I dress sharp all time. If you just have huge muscles and are shy as hell and wear a white T shirt and jeans every single day, you end up looking like a loser.

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Usually that stuff stops once you get out of high school. I've never had any man be outright disprectful to me... I'm not a big guy at all...

So I have no idea what your talking about to be truthful.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:04 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Usually that stuff stops once you get out of high school. I've never had any man be outright disprectful to me... I'm not a big guy at all...

Same here. The only time another guy messed with me was in HS. He pushed me into a locker and I slammed his head in the locker door. Never again did anything happen to me.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:04 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,675 times
Quote:

People definitely do get messed with....especially at bars and clubs.

Chow, even though we're not big guys, people take one look at us and **** themselves....because we're bosses and they know it.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:07 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Chow brings diapers when he goes out.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:09 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times

Old 01-12-2013, 10:15 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:

Oh, no doubt, high school is in a category all it's own when it comes to that sort of nonsense.

But it does go on, albeit in subtler ways, when people are in their 20s. You see it a lot in bars, nightclubs, or other venues where men are competing with each other for the attention of women.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:31 AM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Oh, no doubt, high school is in a category all it's own when it comes to that sort of nonsense.

But it does go on, albeit in subtler ways, when people are in their 20s. You see it a lot in bars, nightclubs, or other venues where men are competing with each other for the attention of women.
Yeah, I forget about night clubs, me and the boys went out and knocked some heads about, course we were early 20's and drunk and stupid..

I'm talking about just general out and about type stuff, I've never had problems like you describe.... but then again, I'm pretty easy going so I don't seem to notice other people's attitudes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships