Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:11 PM

142 posts, read 505,935 times

Advertisements

If you look back at my prior posts last year, you'll see I gave my alcoholic husband an ultimatum, and then ended up leaving him. Well, it only lasted 3 months, and 10 months ago, I moved back in. I knew he wasn't going to stop drinking but I talked myself into thinking that I was being too hard on him. After all, he does not abuse me. He got a new job in March and has kept it. But I still feel like his drinking affects our relationship. I avoid parties/gatherings because he drinks too much and embarasses me. I avoid asking for sex because I never know when he's too liquored up to be able to perform. I was miserable without him, but I am miserable with him, too.

I haven't done the Al-Anon thing because it is religion-based and I am Agnostic. He's not going to stop drinking. I do know that. So I know that gives me two choices -- either leave, or deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 02:15 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel06 View Post
If you look back at my prior posts last year, you'll see I gave my alcoholic husband an ultimatum, and then ended up leaving him. Well, it only lasted 3 months, and 10 months ago, I moved back in. I knew he wasn't going to stop drinking but I talked myself into thinking that I was being too hard on him. After all, he does not abuse me. He got a new job in March and has kept it. But I still feel like his drinking affects our relationship. I avoid parties/gatherings because he drinks too much and embarasses me. I avoid asking for sex because I never know when he's too liquored up to be able to perform. I was miserable without him, but I am miserable with him, too.

I haven't done the Al-Anon thing because it is religion-based and I am Agnostic. He's not going to stop drinking. I do know that. So I know that gives me two choices -- either leave, or deal with it.
I'm agnostic and have been to plenty of Al-Anon meetings. I didn't find a single one of them overtly religious based. Most people dont even mention religion whatsoever. I understand the book that accompanies the meetings is religious based-but you dont have to read if you are uncomfortable.

What is he planning on doing himself? If he wont seek help, you have no choice but to leave again. IMO (coming from someone who has dealt with a family member who used to struggle with addiction).

Old 01-21-2013, 02:18 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times
What do you want to do? You said that he is not abusive, and that you were miserable without him. His alcohol abuse is what makes you miserable with him. Why not try to address the issue. There are a lot of non-religious based alcohol treatment programs that you can explore. Start with a quick google search to see what's available in your area. It seems like addressing the issue both helps him and may help your marriage.

NOTE: I'll have to go back and read some of your earlier posts on this subject to learn more. I didn't really visit the relationships forum 10 months ago.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:22 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,140,454 times
That's tough....maybe you two could work out some kind of compromise, like if he could only drink 1 or 2 days a week? Has he ever seen some photos of livers that had cirrhosis? All that drinking is no good for his health.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:

Time to move out again. This time make it permanent.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,921,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
That's tough....maybe you two could work out some kind of compromise, like if he could only drink 1 or 2 days a week?
That's not how addiction works. Alcoholics can't drink in moderation. She's right, if he won't get treatment she's going to have to either leave him or tolerate being with an alcoholic. If she does the latter, that will also mean being codependent and therefore contributing to his alcoholism.

Go to Al-Anon if you're going to try to be with him. You don't have to be religious. Your "higher power" can be the earth, or mother nature, or science, or the universe, or a rock, for that matter. That's not really what's important.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:37 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Really sorry to hear you are in this position. I don't have much to offer you, other than my condolences...... I think as others have said, he probably won't stop drinking, the best you can hope for is for him to cut back a bit... not sure, it's either accept it or move on... tough spot to be in.... it probably makes it tough cause I bet he's probably an Ok guy when sober......

Old 01-21-2013, 03:33 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,706 times
Sounds like a good man. Just has some addiction issues. Dont let his problem be your problem and, as others have been suggesting, try to address the problem. Get his family to help make him stop if that is an option.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:35 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
So I know that gives me two choices -- either leave, or deal with it.
Pick one.

You can't do this halfway.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:49 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
The problems are yours, not his. You have learned to become co-dependent. Leaving him won't change this. If you can't deal with the "higher power" aspect of 12 step programs for alcoholic family members or family-based co-dependency, you can seek out a cognitive psychologist/counselor or read self-help books, or cook in your own stew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships