Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:03 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,423,857 times

Advertisements

Possibly on the road to most fantastic of fantastic.

Still requires commitment, which equals devotion, faith, and optimism for the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 06:08 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,020,757 times
I have never seen a relationship workout between 2 friends and it usually ends in a bad way.

So I will continue to say that friends first doesn't work.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:35 PM

378 posts, read 1,208,117 times
It didn't start out as friends first, not at all. We slept together within several hours of meeting... which I never do!!! But somehow it was what we both needed.

I am just not good at relationships. I have had some that last for 5 or 6 years but looking back, I can see I was treated badly. The way I was raised has a lot to do with it, it's hard when you have been raised by a crazy stepfather who hates your existance and lets you know of that hate every day of your life. But finally the past few years I understood that I am a good person who has a lot to offer, and I don't let anyone take advantage of me anymore... Better late than never.

My boyfriend is everything I have ever wanted in a partner, except we are from very different cultures. We have so many interests in common its almost scary, and I love spending time with him more than anyone, but I wouldn't consider him my "best friend" mostly because I have only known him 9 months. But I know how good our relationship is, and how rare it is to find something like this. I am not sure that he does however, because he has not had many relationships at all, at least compared to me. I know for sure that he likes me about as much as I like him though... I do love him, but don't have that overwhelming feeling of being "in love" like I had in my previous relationship. I don't know that feelings like that are sustainable though. One thing I know for sure is that I want him in my life for as long as possible, he has improved it and made me feel valued and appreciated, and so very much more. And I want to be there to support him and do everything that I can for him.

The biggest part of my problem is that I know that he wants kids and the reality is that if we want to be together and go down that road, well I have only got a few years left for that. So we will have to have a serious talk/decision made pretty soon. The cultural issues are the main thing... so I guess before too long I will see if its working out or not.

Last edited by redbean; 01-29-2013 at 11:53 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 01:34 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,467,741 times
two of my best friends are ex lovers, if that is indicative of anything regarding your question

Old 03-13-2013, 10:54 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,688,779 times
Does Best friend + great lover = perfect relationship?

ABSOLUTELY!

Old 03-13-2013, 11:18 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,693,781 times
No and like someone else mentioned, it ended in a bad way. It was the hardest of the breakups probably due to the fact that I had so much invested in them as a friend for so long. Another aspect to look at is, if it doesn't work out, when it's over, you've lost a close friend as well. Those are hard to come by.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:23 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,964,827 times
I would think it would make a great start to a relationship.
You already know you have enough in common, due to the best friends part.
And sexual chemistry?
As long as niether person gets 'weird', then I assume things could go well.

But, sometimes we think we know someone, and then you reeeeeeaaaaaally get to know someone, and they are different than you realize.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,484,376 times
I responded to this before, but think if can also work if these are two separate people!

Old 03-14-2013, 04:15 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,404,165 times
My favorite ex was my best friend and an unbelievable lover (lost my voice more than once with him). But the relationship was not sustainable because he was utterly irresponsible and made poor choices. He was also a bad father to his kids - not abusive, just not very good at parenting and not interested in being better at it. He was better at it than HIS father (who ditched when he was 2), so he thought he was good enough. "Good enough" doesn't wash with me as far as parenting is concerned. Ultimately, we had mismatched values.

So I ended things. He remains the great love of my life so far, but I have no regrets about the decision I made roughly a decade ago. As far as I'm concerned, there needs to be a hell of a lot more than just being a best friend and lover.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:49 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,744,496 times
Compared to worst enemy and great lover or best friend and worst lover?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships