Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 02:46 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,142,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
My boss has a full sleeve, and then some. He's wildly successful. No one cares about his ink.

Not to bring politics into it but we're in Canada, it's pretty damn liberal here. I think the only people who would judge based on tattoos are maybe some older folks. But even my dad's near 70 and he has a couple tattoos - ones from his youth, ones from his mid-life crisis. He didn't care about mine.

They don't change who you are as a person and basically everyone that's calling them "trashy" and "unattractive" is just proving that people judge based on appearance. Someone who is absolutely perfect for you could have a small tattoo and you'd write them off because of that one thing? Everyone in the world is going to have something about them that you don't like whether it's a tattoo, sweaty palms, bad spelling, messy, chews loudly...

I think some things are quite superficial and are worth overlooking rather than writing someone off because of something so minor.
Ah, no sh*t. Everybody is judged on appearance. Why do you think average and unattactive women always complain that beautiful women get all the breaks. Or attactive people in media are geared towards TV, while unattactive people are told to do radio.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:10 AM

2,071 posts, read 1,039,331 times
Tattoos are very popular now, my son is a tattoo artist. It's like a craze, and all ages are getting them. He said most of his clients are between 20-40. I am one that likes a "lone" tattoo which has meaning to the person wearing it. I don't , however, like the "sleeves" and total body tattoos and I believe that is a desperate act for attention, along with piercings all over your face.

I'm perfectly OK with a guy that has tattoos (at different places on his body) but not attracted to guys with too many tats.

Old 11-02-2021, 01:53 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,091,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
Tattoos are very popular now, my son is a tattoo artist. It's like a craze, and all ages are getting them. He said most of his clients are between 20-40. I am one that likes a "lone" tattoo which has meaning to the person wearing it. I don't , however, like the "sleeves" and total body tattoos and I believe that is a desperate act for attention, along with piercings all over your face.

I'm perfectly OK with a guy that has tattoos (at different places on his body) but not attracted to guys with too many tats.
I think it is also related to locale. In my area, tattoos are very common spanning all sorts of demographics. Its been like that for at least the past 20 years since I moved into this area. There are 5 tattoo parlors within 5 minutes of driving of my home. The typical hourly rate for an established artist is $150/hour today... not to shabby.

Back in Texas where i grew up, it wasn't so popular nor common.... I'm sure its changed over the past two decades there as well.

Old 11-02-2021, 02:31 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,640,743 times
LOL one of the tattoos that my Ex husband has, was one that I drew for him. Didn't ink it, but it's my drawing.

Should add that to the "probably a bad idea" list along with the name of your partner, their drawings...never know what'll happen in the future. I came up with a rule for myself a long time ago that I would only ever get ink related to dead people, not live ones. That relationship isn't going to change. I've got one of a relative who has passed, a woman I looked up to a lot.

Obviously I would not judge. Though I wouldn't date someone with tattoos on neck or face, and I prefer when the art is at least decent.

Old 11-02-2021, 02:33 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Someone once said you see more tattoos in lower income, dangerous neighborhoods.

Old 11-02-2021, 03:04 PM

1,655 posts, read 774,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post

The craze part is a huge turnoff. It’s like society woke up and decided they all need tattoos to become unique individuals. IMO, it plays into what seems like an overall shift towards people becoming more narcissistic and self centered into today’s social media world. If everyone is unique than no one is unique. The most annoying part to me is tatted women who regularly say they need “ink therapy” — for some reason I find that super annoying, lol.

I know wealthy people also get tats but to me they seem highly popular among the middle and working classes. Hoards of working class men out there with a pickup truck, sleeve and ball cap. I guess people simply get board with their lives and tats are a way to make themselves feel more edgy and spontaneous.

If people like art, why not just pick out their favorite tattoo and get it made into a huge picture to hang on their wall? They can stare at it all day….and have a much better view than something being on the side of their arm or on their back. For that reason, I’m convinced that most tattoo aren’t for ourselves — they are to get attention by projecting a vision of ourselves to others…again our narcissistic tendencies nowadays.

Last edited by GoAmericaGo; 11-02-2021 at 03:17 PM..

Old 11-02-2021, 03:07 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,571,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetJuice View Post
For women: more or less likely to date a man?

It depended on what the tattoo was & how many he had. If they were weird or vulgar or he had several or they were on his neck or face, I wouldn’t have dated him. Just one or maybe 2 tho? IMO it can be sexy…BUT it’s totally more about the man himself than his tattoos….especially a professional & stylish manly man!

Old 11-02-2021, 03:55 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,640,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
The craze part is a huge turnoff. It’s like society woke up and decided they all need tattoos to become unique individuals. IMO, it plays into what seems like an overall shift towards people becoming more narcissistic and self centered into today’s social media world. If everyone is unique than no one is unique. The most annoying part to me is tatted women who regularly say they need “ink therapy” — for some reason I find that super annoying, lol.

I know wealthy people also get tats but to me they seem highly popular among the middle and working classes. Hoards of working class men out there with a pickup truck, sleeve and ball cap. I guess people simply get board with their lives and tats are a way to make themselves feel more edgy and spontaneous.

If people like art, why not just pick out their favorite tattoo and get it made into a huge picture to hang on their wall? They can stare at it all day….and have a much better view than something being on the side of their arm or on their back. For that reason, I’m convinced that most tattoo aren’t for ourselves — they are to get attention by projecting a vision of ourselves to others…again our narcissistic tendencies nowadays.
LOL some of us grasp a secondary meaning beneath "ink therapy."

The sustained pain you endure to get a tattoo changes your brain chemistry.

Like um...runner's high. Or other activities I could mention, but won't. Let's just say that I found other ways to get that kind of "therapy" in my life, but there was something heady and euphoric about coupling it with the addition of new art that makes my eyeballs happy. Yum, yum.

Thing is, once I grew up some more, well...I've got my mind on my money and my money on my mind these days. I would rather buy stock than get ink. But I have no regrets.

If it's all about getting attention and narcissism, what about those of us who keep ours hidden most of the time under our clothes? I see mine more than anyone else does. I LIKE seeing them. Though hiding them isn't really about what anyone else sees or doesn't. It's mostly protecting them from the sun. Sun is very bad for tattoos.

Old 11-02-2021, 03:57 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,278,680 times
I think tattoos are sexy. But every man I ever dated with tattoos was also full of red flags. Chock full. And not relationship material in the slightest.

That said, I have one myself, so have to wonder what does that say about me?

Old 11-02-2021, 04:04 PM

1,655 posts, read 774,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
LOL some of us grasp a secondary meaning beneath "ink therapy."

The sustained pain you endure to get a tattoo changes your brain chemistry.

Like um...runner's high. Or other activities I could mention, but won't. Let's just say that I found other ways to get that kind of "therapy" in my life, but there was something heady and euphoric about coupling it with the addition of new art that makes my eyeballs happy. Yum, yum.

Thing is, once I grew up some more, well...I've got my mind on my money and my money on my mind these days. I would rather buy stock than get ink. But I have no regrets.

If it's all about getting attention and narcissism, what about those of us who keep ours hidden most of the time under our clothes? I see mine more than anyone else does. I LIKE seeing them. Though hiding them isn't really about what anyone else sees or doesn't. It's mostly protecting them from the sun. Sun is very bad for tattoos.
Could we in some way say getting ink for some euphoric high is a form of body dimorphic disorder? Some of us aren’t happy with our body as-is so we need to modify the skin in hopes that it becomes more pleasing to our eyes and we can become better satisfied with how we look — to ourselves or to others.

I would definitely like to see some research done. We are a society of social media addicted, overweight, inked up, in debt, medicated, depressed people. Are there connections to be made? I don’t know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships